The consequence thread (Brexit)

Yep, but what the public think can be ignored. Can't it Lex?

I don't even think our politicians believe that, although I'm sure some will have initially thought on these lines.

Yep, but what the public think can be ignored. Can't it Lex?

But the public now think brexit was a bad idea

I don't even think our politicians believe that, although I'm sure some will have initially thought on these lines.

They don't have to believe it. It's a fact.

No article 50 yet. Next year at the earliest according to Gove. It might all be forgotten by Xmas :)

How is it disrespect for democracy? The MPs we are asking to vote this through were all democratically elected for parties that had EU membership as a core policy.

The only party that campaigned on a platform of Brexit only got one MP

The referendum was reasonably close. Nearly half of those who voted do not want to Brexit.

I accept that there was a vote to Brexit but there are other factors that can't just be swept away. I think Brexiters fully understand this weakness as we move forward. The support is volatile and could easily switch back to remain, and there are going to be dozens of hurdles to negotiate many of which could reduce ongoing Brexit support.

Because our government decided to put the question to the people.

It was close, but we were told clearly how important the vote was and that even if there was only one vote between the sides, that would constitute a decision.

I understand that many people, almost half of who voted, are disappointed, and that is a very large number, and we have to respect this but the fact remains that we also have to respect that when the country was asked, they gave an answer.

It was close, but we were told clearly how important the vote was and that even if there was only one vote between the sides, that would constitute a decision.

I understand that many people, almost half of who voted, are disappointed, and that is a very large number, and we have to respect this but the fact remains that we also have to respect that when the country was asked, they gave an answer.

And if they were asked now, they would give a different answer. So which answer is right?

You seem to think we have power? This is a discussion thread that no-one is forcing you to read. Anyone here an MP?

If you want to complain, write to your MP. They are the ones in no rush but with the power to encourage Government to enact article 50.

They don't have to believe it. It's a fact.

No article 50 yet. Next year at the earliest according to Gove. It might all be forgotten by Xmas :)

Radan, the whole of parliament has had a huge shock and it is still reeling. I can understand MPs needing a little time to absorb it and re-group, and the same for the people. It's not going to go away though and delaying, what all the major politicians now seem to agree is the inevitable, risks damaging the economy further and weakening our negotiating position with the EU and alarmingly, will be pushing more people towards the extreme right wing parties.

---------- Post added 01-07-2016 at 20:12 ----------

You seem to think we have power? This is a discussion thread that no-one is forcing you to read. Anyone here an MP?

If you want to complain, write to your MP. They are the ones in no rush but with the power to encourage Government to enact article 50.

I'm confused:huh: Are you responding to the correct post?

---------- Post added 01-07-2016 at 20:18 ----------

And if they were asked now, they would give a different answer. So which answer is right?

You're asking the wrong person. I'm not so arrogant as to presume that either 'Leavers' or 'Remainers' are 'right'. Nobody knows which side is 'right', Nobody can predict the future and we will never know who was 'right' as there are too many variables, it's simply impossible.

I'm also not so arrogant to presume which way the country would vote if the question was put to them today. It was too close to call during the referendum and it's too close to call now.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Radan, the whole of parliament has had a huge shock and it is still reeling. I can understand MPs needing a little time to absorb it and re-group, and the same for the people. It's not going to go away though and delaying, what all the major politicians now seem to agree is the inevitable, risks damaging the economy further and weakening our negotiating position with the EU and alarmingly, will be pushing more people towards the extreme right wing parties.

---------- Post added 01-07-2016 at 20:12 ----------

I'm confused:huh: Are you responding to the correct post?

No. You say 'we' have to respect the result. Who's we? The people you are moaning to here on this forum or the MPs that seem in no rush to trigger article 50?

What exactly are we on this forum doing to slow down the process?

Simple, just like in any election the first original vote count should be accepted, however narrow the margin. Based on the above we could also have a re-run in general elections as well which would be equally as daft.

Just think if Scotland had voted yes to their own independence then any subsequent referendum after on the EU would have probably gained a greater leave vote as they would not have taken part in it.

Edited by apelike

If MP's were to ignore the referendum result then that would, more than anything else, further poison politics in this country.

---------- Post added 01-07-2016 at 20:27 ----------

And if they were asked now, they would give a different answer.

Pure supposition on your part.

No. You say 'we' have to respect the result. Who's we? The people you are moaning to here on this forum or the MPs that seem in no rush to trigger article 50?

What exactly are we on this forum doing to slow down the process?

The country. If you did not want the vote to be respected when you voted, did you still vote?

I'm not moaning to anyone, Radan. I'm just giving my opinion, as you are and what you quoted doesn't blame anyone on the forum for slowing down the process, so I don't know where you are getting that from.

Edited by Lex Luthor

If MP's were to ignore the referendum result then that would, more than anything else, further poison politics in this country.

---------- Post added 01-07-2016 at 20:27 ----------

Pure supposition on your part.

Worried it might happen Alan? Why?