The consequence thread (Brexit)

The rules were bent - therefore it should be rerun - Farage (rhymes with Garage) even said this (before the result)

Many people who had registered didn't get their vote due to administrative errors - therefore it should be rerun.

Not everyone could get to their voting stations - it should be rerun.

Why hold it when students were away from their registered addresses - should it be rerun?

Tell you something - if it was rerun, the percentage difference would be greater (one way or the other).

The rules were bent in favour of remain, so remainers have nothing to complaint about on that score.

Remain spent lots more on leaflets, etc.

Students know how it works and can register appropriately. Glastonbury goers who wanted to vote can apply for postal votes, just as the elderly and disabled who might not be able to make it to polling stations.

We don't need it to be a greater percentage one way or the other. It was stated all along, even if it comes down to just one vote difference, the outcome will be upheld. So we are fortunate that the votes cast do at least have a couple of percent between them.

The votes have been cast. I'm afraid it might be a bitter pill, but 48% of the population have to accept that.

Now if there had been unlawful segregation at polling stations and people queuing before 10pm being turned away like in our previous General Election, you might have had a point.

Edited by Lex Luthor

No, 52% of the voters who could be bothered to vote did so.

Everyone is entitled to vote; its not compulsory and if you don't use it you live with the impact of those use theirs.

Apparently only 25% of the UK population voted to remain in the EU.

You know after all the dust has settled down I'm so glad I'm 5 feet 7 inches tall again, I hated being 1.7 metres tall!!!

Why hold it when students were away from their registered addresses - should it be rerun?

That's scraping the barrel. Most students registered voting address would be at home, not university, which is why so many do a postal vote during a General Election.

Unless of course you think all the students are at Glastonbury, having paid hundreds for a ticket and enjoying a £10 pint of cider.

You know after all the dust has settled down I'm so glad I'm 5 feet 7 inches tall again, I hated being 1.7 metres tall!!!

i heard they are selling veg in Boston in lbs and ozs

David Lammy MP urges Parliament to ignore EU referendum result: 'We can stop this madness'.

"We can stop this madness and bring this nightmare to an end through a vote in Parliament. Our sovereign Parliament needs to now vote on whether we should exit the EU.

"The referendum was was an advisory, non-binding referendum. The Leave campaign's platform has already unravelled and some people wish they hadn't voted to Leave.

"Parliament now needs to decide whether we should go forward with Brexit, and there should be a vote in Parliament next week.

"Let us not destroy our economy on the basis of lies and the hubris of Boris Johnson."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-result-latest-david-lammy-mp-eu-referendum-result-parliament-twitter-statement-stop-this-a7102931.html

And that's how you lose an election.

David Lammy and any other MP who calls for the will of the people to be ignored are an insult to democracy and should be ousted from their parties.

As should Alistair Campbell for his remarks that the people should not have been allowed to vote on the matter, and anyone else dismissing the will of the people to further their own agendas.

and accepting payments in farthings

If you can't be bothered to vote don't whine about the outcome is a fairly key part of democracy.

Agreed, the online petitions and the protests are pretty embarrassing. Every vote counted and if you couldn't be bothered that's your tough luck.

---------- Post added 25-06-2016 at 18:03 ----------

All picked by immigrants of course ;)

David Lammy and any other MP who calls for the will of the people to be ignored are an insult to democracy and should be ousted from their parties.

it was always only an advisory thing.

if there had been a massive majority one way or the other then you may have had a point, given the closeness of the result then maybe not so...

that said, the result should be accepted and if david cameron doesn't give some indication of doing the article 50 notification on monday then parliament should do it for him.

The rules were bent in favour of remain, so remainers have nothing to complaint about on that score.

And you know this how?

But at least we agree that the democratic process was bent.

Remain spent lots more on leaflets, etc.

Students know how it works and can register appropriately. Glastonbury goers who wanted to vote can apply for postal votes, just as the elderly and disabled who might not be able to make it to polling stations.

That's not what they are saying at Glastonbury

We don't need it to be a greater percentage one way or the other. It was stated all along, even if it comes down to just one vote difference, the outcome will be upheld. So we are fortunate that the votes cast do at least have a couple of percent between them.

There is no outcome to uphold - it is only an indicitive poll.

The votes have been cast. I'm afraid it might be a bitter pill, but 48% of the population have to accept that.

65% (Yes 48% of those who voted), but what about those who were disenfranchised?

Now if there had been unlawful segregation at polling stations and people queuing before 10pm being turned away like in our previous General Election, you might have had a point.

You mean like...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rail-passengers-left-stranded-unable-8270653

http://www.leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk/news/politics/updated-council-sorry-for-polling-station-error-which-left-linslade-voters-unable-to-vote-in-eu-referendum-1-7445502

"In a sign of how extensive the problems were, staff at one station said that of the first 30 voters to show up, only three were on the register. The rest were told to come back later."

Heard earlier that the vote has to go through parliament to accept, but rumours are, that parliament might veto it!

Heard earlier that the vote has to go through parliament to accept, but rumours are, that parliament might veto it!

feel a landslide coming for UKIP