The consequence thread (Brexit)

Shows that the Brexiters were right all along......Article 50 please.

Please quit it with your schadenfreude. 48% of the UK voters did not want this.

No we didn't. Shares crashed around the world and it was the people who own them that lost. As far as I know the Government does not trade in shares.

The people that trade were fine, they like volatility. It is the people that invest and hold on to shares that suffered. Guess which people those are. Pension funds. Have you got a private pension? Might be time to have a chat with them about this.

No we didn't. Shares crashed around the world and it was the people who own them that lost. As far as I know the Government does not trade in shares.

I got a letter from the stockbrokers Hargreaves Lansdown this morning pointing out that the FTSE 100 closed higher last night than it was a week before. Up 117 points on the week.

Closed last night on 6138.69

Closed last Friday at 6021.09

Edited by foxy lady

It is becoming increasingly clear (see the statements of Juncker yesterday and the six foreign ministers today) that the EU will seek to exact revenge on the UK, mainly to discourage any other state from seeking to leave. They are in condign punishment mode, which hardly bodes well for the prospect of an amicable divorce ( Juncker has even said that it won't be amicable).

I didn't expect anything less from them.

Farage has been trying to tell us about these people for years.

I never thought I'd be referring to Richard Madeley as the voice of reason, but there he was on the radio this morning saying that although he voted Remain he accepted the decision and looked forward to the future with optimism saying that the UK is a great country and we can do great things on our own.

Contrast that with the petulance of many others. I've never known such an anti-democratic outcry of petulance because a majority of people think differently to them. Quite amazing.

We've just had a vote where 46.5 million people were eligible to vote. All it took was putting an X in the box.

But, but ... the people voted the "wrong" way. We need a second referendum. We need democracy by twitter.

Then there's the apparent wishing that everything goes pear shaped, and there is a plague of misery, just so some of us can point at their neighbours and blame them for voting the "wrong" way.

Get a grip.

There was some discussion before the vote as to whether we should reduce the voting age to 16, with claims of how much more savvy our youngsters are these days. Quite frankly some of the reasons my daughter has told me that her friends have given for voting Remain, and their whipped up grief to the result, shows that if anything we need to increase the voting age.

I think I'm going to start a petition for us to NOT have a rerun of the referendum. I bet it gets 10 times more signatures than theirs!

I don't think either majority could have been classed as a 'win' due to the fact that the EU still have to be negotiated with. Juncker's first comment on hearing that we had voted to Leave was that the 'negotiations' that Cameron had done earlier in the year were 'void and ceased to exist'. It had been said many times that if we remained in the EU, those negotiations would have been thrown out any way because Juncker said they were illegal. So the fact the Cameron always referred to a 'reformed EU' was wrong. Whichever way the vote went, the EU would punish us simply for having the audacity to hold a referendum and also to deter any other member states from doing the same.

I believe that the only thing the EU liked about the UK was the huge weekly contribution to their slush fund. As soon as the referendum was announced, Juncker was calling us 'deserters' so it was obvious they would not welcome us with open arms if we stayed with them. Maybe the true benefit of this referendum is that the EU will be forced to take notice of the remaining members and start to reform otherwise others will try to get out.

I know this doesn't help us but bleating about 'poor us' ain't gonna get us anywhere. We have a huge amount of youngsters with degrees in busines studies and the like, so perhaps if they stopped worrying whether their holidays to the med are going to get expensive (probably not) or whether they can work abroad (most likely can) then we need to move on. Most of the med make billions from us holidaying there. Does anyone, honestly, think they will price themselves out of the market to prove a point? Probably not.

Good points. Juncker is a particularly nasty, arrogant mediocrity, from a country with a population smaller than Sheffield's. He should never have been appointed as President of the Commission. Had some previous Presidents been in office (e.g. Monti, Prodi or Barrosso), I think there would have been a good chance that they would have been far more positive to Cameron's modest proposals for reform and that a Brexit might have been avoided.

Any petition with over 100,000 signatures has to be mentioned in parliament. It doesn't mean that they accept it, or act on it. I once signed a petition and then got inundated on my email with other petitions. They must receive thousands each week. They'd rather stand there insulting each other than look at how the electorate feel about different issues.

Edited by Dardandec
Wrong thread

Had the EU referendum been contested under FPTP in the 382 counting areas, the result would have been:

Remain: 31.2% Leave: 68.8%.

Electoral Commission data apparently.

I don't think either majority could have been classed as a 'win' due to the fact that the EU still have to be negotiated with. Juncker's first comment on hearing that we had voted to Leave was that the 'negotiations' that Cameron had done earlier in the year were 'void and ceased to exist'.

of course they are, we rejected them. he's just stating the obvious

Most of the med make billions from us holidaying there. Does anyone, honestly, think they will price themselves out of the market to prove a point? Probably not.

indeed, which makes paying attention to most of the threats a bit of a waste of time.

if both sides enter into the negotiations with the right attitude then we can come out with something that will save both economies. it will take time and need patience and a need to ignore the tabloid hysteria which will undoubtably follow when we have to concede a point which mr murdoch doesn't like.