Police ignoring drug dealers

Because legalising them would mean less harm, less crime and less addiction.

Also you are missing the obvious; all of the currently illegal drugs are freely available to my children.

If they decide to take them I'd much rather they were taking something that's pharmaceutically pure and in a carefully measured dose. I'd rather they didn't acquire a criminal record by taking them.

I take your relevant points onboard but believe than keeping them illegal will stop many people using them.

The current situation of such drugs being freely available has developed over the years and willingness of impressionable youngsters to try them.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 11:36 ----------

A final question.

Many have stated that alcohol and tobacco are more damaging drugs than those presently illegal.

If the illegal ones were legalised would there be a campaign to ban alcohol and tobacco if safer alternatives were freely available ?

Edited by harvey19

I take your relevant points onboard but believe than keeping them illegal will stop many people using them.

The current situation of such drugs being freely available has developed over the years and willingness of impressionable youngsters to try them.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 11:36 ----------

A final question.

Many have stated that alcohol and tobacco are more damaging drugs than those presently illegal.

If the illegal ones were legalised would there be a campaign to ban alcohol and tobacco if safer alternatives were freely available ?

I hope not. I think banning substances is generally a really bad idea.

Wow, I go away for a couple of days and reading back, the argument has changed and gone full circle..twice.

It's amazing how this forum can argue themselves to a standstill.

Good entertainment though.

The war on drugs will never be won,it has to be one of the biggest waste of police time and effort.I believe that the UK will go the same way as the US regarding cannabis in the near future,the money earned would be similar to the tax on tobacco products.

Why don't those who complain about alcohol being a worse drug than those presently illegal argue for it to be banned ?

Surely this would be a more positive way forward than continually wanting to add other drugs to those presently available.

Once again I would put reality into this discussion by asking why you would want presently illegal drugs to be freely available to your children ?

These mainly refer to post 181

primarily becasue they are scientifically illerate and do not understand the the risks in proper comparison - there is no 'safe' level of use of various drugs of misuse in the absence of clinical criteria fortheir use being met and arguably no safe level of use of tobacco ...

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 14:42 ----------

Most of the desired drugs of misuse are perfectly legal , if you have the necessary clinical need to possess and take / administer them ...

I have walked down the street with significant quantities of class As in my control completely legally.

Why don't those who complain about alcohol being a worse drug than those presently illegal argue for it to be banned ?

Surely this would be a more positive way forward than continually wanting to add other drugs to those presently available.

Once again I would put reality into this discussion by asking why you would want presently illegal drugs to be freely available to your children ?

These mainly refer to post 181

LEGALISATION REDUCES HARM. :roll:

Change the law. If I want to get stoned, the law should let me get stoned.

Cannabis is known to cause psychosis, depression and a host of other mental illnesses. Also most cannabis users use it as a gateway drug and go on to use harder and harder drugs to get the same buzz. As harvey 19 says, why you would want presently illegal drugs to be freely available to your children?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/nov/21/uk-should-legalise-cannabis-adam-smith-institute-report

In the news 2 days ago. More and more MPs, senior police, judges and of course normal people are calling for legalisation.

There is absolutely no evidence of cannabis being a gateway drug, but if it is, the solution would be legalisation.

Alcohol causes greater mental, physical and social harm.

We want drugs to be available in a controlled and safe manner because that demonstrably REDUCES HARM.

Why would you not wish to reduce harm?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/nov/21/uk-should-legalise-cannabis-adam-smith-institute-report

In the news 2 days ago. More and more MPs, senior police, judges and of course normal people are calling for legalisation.

There is absolutely no evidence of cannabis being a gateway drug, but if it is, the solution would be legalisation.

Alcohol causes greater mental, physical and social harm.

We want drugs to be available in a controlled and safe manner because that demonstrably REDUCES HARM.

Why would you not wish to reduce harm?

There is only a tiny proportion of people calling for legislation.

Would you want your child/grandchild to be sat in your house and start injecting themselves with drugs ?

Would you want your child/grandchild to be sat in your house and start injecting themselves with drugs ?

Not particularly - but I'd much rather they were using at home with a pharmaceutically clean product in a measured dose using sterile equipment and technique than in a back alley using adulterated product in an uncertain doses through someone else's needle.

Not really a tiny proportion - pretty much a worldwide movement on cannabis anyway. Read the Adam Smith Institute report.

I'd favour the legalisation of all recreational drugs personally which is perhaps more of a minority view -but in my mind the arguments are pretty much the same.

I am sure there are reports for and against but if there was a referendum I am sure the majority vote would be to keep them illegal.

On the radio yesterday there was a phone in on the subject. I only heard a small part of it. There were 2 opposing opinions being aired but the relevant point was when an ex cannabis user phoned in stating the damage it had done to him.