Oughtibridge paper mill development.

So there is a minimum density, but there is no accounting for the traffic it will generate? Seems odd, doesn't it?

Yes, that is the site.

There will be an impact statement from the highways agency I'd think (it's normal for large developments).

200 extra cars on a major route into Sheffield isn't much. 200 cars go down Middlewood Rd every 5 minutes in the morning rush hour I'd think.

Interesting.

I note from the document linked to in the OP that the majority of the former works is to the east of the Don and comes under Barnsley MBC.

The document also (speculatively I think) is saying there may be a possibility of housing on green belt land abutting Forge Lane, Oughtibridge.

I have no problem with them developing the former works site, I would be against any encroachment on to green belt.

So is that entire factory complex up for being demolished then, I wasn't 100% sure from the document.

IIRC it's sat empty for a few years now, would be silly to build on green belt if that's still standing.

There will be an impact statement from the highways agency I'd think (it's normal for large developments).

200 extra cars on a major route into Sheffield isn't much. 200 cars go down Middlewood Rd every 5 minutes in the morning rush hour I'd think.

Not the bit where I live. (Park, junction with Leppings Lane) that snarls up when there are fifty cars every five minutes, usually following a tram.

It'd be very interesting to see a full assessment of traffic load on the roads around here, Holme Lane, Middlewood Road, Catchbar Lane, Leppings Lane, Wadsley Road. The junction(s) as designed around the school are not coping too well as it is.

PS - I am not against the development as such and I do think a case could be made for an extra 200 cars, but if we are talking about 600... We shall see I suppose!

So is that entire factory complex up for being demolished then, I wasn't 100% sure from the document.

IIRC it's sat empty for a few years now, would be silly to build on green belt if that's still standing.

Reading the document again it would appear that the factory (in Barnsley MBC) itself is "green belt" - presumably it was there before anyone had come up with the green belt designation.

The proposal for the factory site would apppear to be as a factory or longer term as mixed housing / small industrial units.

I thought that your house was situated in the countryside?

It is , but its a barn conversion .

---------- Post added 20-06-2016 at 21:21 ----------

There looks to be some kind of path, or dirt track or something running alongside the train line right opposite the paper mill.

Could that be converted to a road and connected to Jawbone hill maybe?

or is it easier to just sling all traffic out onto the A6102 and not worry about traffic getting snarled up in the centre of Oughtibridge?

Maybe it depends on the number of houses being built?

There is . Its the Trans Pennine Trail

---------- Post added 20-06-2016 at 21:23 ----------

Interesting.

I note from the document linked to in the OP that the majority of the former works is to the east of the Don and comes under Barnsley MBC.

The document also (speculatively I think) is saying there may be a possibility of housing on green belt land abutting Forge Lane, Oughtibridge.

I have no problem with them developing the former works site, I would be against any encroachment on to green belt.

That land , the field and the football pitches were owned by British Tissues . Not sure weather thats still the case or weather they were sold off by subsequent owners of the Paper Mill.

Not the bit where I live. (Park, junction with Leppings Lane) that snarls up when there are fifty cars every five minutes, usually following a tram.

It'd be very interesting to see a full assessment of traffic load on the roads around here, Holme Lane, Middlewood Road, Catchbar Lane, Leppings Lane, Wadsley Road. The junction(s) as designed around the school are not coping too well as it is.

PS - I am not against the development as such and I do think a case could be made for an extra 200 cars, but if we are talking about 600... We shall see I suppose!

50 cars every 5 minutes is how many in an hour?

So what % difference would another 200 make, even IF they all headed into town, and none stopped at the park and ride or took the supertram link bus?

What % would another 200 cars make???

The road is already solid, crawling or often stationary traffic from just past stockarth lane all the way to penistone road in the morning peak

The link buses get caught up in this and therefore fail to connect with trams

The only 'improvement ' proposed by the developers is changes to the access road to the site and 2 bus shelters!

There is enough grass verge and lay bys just past the ambulance station until the park and ride at middle wood and the developers should be forced to fund a bus lane.

And yes I've already lodged an objection with the council, my mp and the parish council

Looks like it's time to revive that proposal to build a bridge across the Don at Limestone Cottages, linking into the Abbey Forge Road

In my experience, at busy times when roads are at capacity, it doesn`t take much extra traffic to cause major problems.

Well, that's it then, no more house building, because roads are busy everywhere.

Don't worry about the housing shortage, the convenience of people who already live near a road is more important.

To refuse a development on traffic grounds the impact has to be 'Severe' according to NPPF (National Planning Policy Framework)

If there are queues already and the developed is adding onto that is that severe?