Oughtibridge paper mill development.

I`m sure many people in Oughtibridge, Wharncliffe Side and Stocksbridge know about the proposed redevelopment of the ex British Tissues papermill site at Oughtibridge. Obviously the biggest problem is traffic onto the already full (at peak times) Langsett Rd, particularly where (as Middlewood Rd) it gets to Leppings Lane junction. But I was looking at this document and on p9 there is a rather alarming map showing potential development plots in the area. Some are now green fields (designated Green Belt) and even playing fields ! How can that be ?

Note to moderators, this subject is bigger than Sheffield Property, many people would be interested in this who never read that section.

The (real) traffic problem.

Edited by Justin Smith

Well it seems from the document that the council have already given the go-ahead for development on those sites, so it's doubtful they will listen to any objections.

If i remember correctly , the playing fields ( football pitches ) and grazing field next to them just past British Tissues were owned by the mill . weather thats changed over the years i dont know . Either way , they should not be allowed to be built on . Oughtibridge, like many others was one a lovely , quiet little village where everyone knew each other and people were born , lived and died there . Now it has been taken over by developers and is full of Townies who have moved into the village.

Why object?

They using a huge unwanted and environmentally damaging paper mill to build much needed homes.

I thought people would be happy about that. Even the green voting nimbys

Why object?

They using a huge unwanted and environmentally damaging paper mill to build much needed homes.

New housing should NOT be allowed to be built in the countryside .

The table on page 9 is only listing the plots which are owned by the Oughtibridge Mill Estate, if you look at the page above it lists those plots which they are hoping to develop. There are 2 which are Green Belt, one of which has buildings on already so would be hard to challenge but the other would require the lifting of Green Belt status.

Unfortunately, this government has a history of upholding developers' appeals when local authorities turn down applications such as this.

About 90% of the UK is countryside.....where do you suggest we build?

As far as I can work out there has been no planning permission on any of this. It is purely speculation from the selling agent. The main-plot would be considered for a change to residential, 30/40 homes on a hectare, whilst being 17 hectare large - that would be over 600 homes. Too many for the infrastructure I agree. The other sites, as far as I am concerned, are pure speculation.

600 houses is around the same size, I believe, correct me if I am wrong, as Wadsley Park Village. That would be alright if there was a trunk-road that could take that weight of traffic, possibly by creating a new road along the old railway line and introducing a new bridge over the Don.

Even then it is problematic. A lightweight solution would be to improve the Leppings Lane junction with Catchbar Lane, creating a (better) one-way traffic loop and a roundabout there for example, but there is little room to work with.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 11:12 ----------

Good job that they won't be.

PS - it is the 250m2 plots I can't get my head around. Why not use that plot for high quality housing, 750-1000m2 plots, why build yet another cramped estate in the area?

Edited by tzijlstra

As far as I can work out there has been no planning permission on any of this. It is purely speculation from the selling agent. The main-plot would be considered for a change to residential, 30/40 homes on a hectare, whilst being 17 hectare large - that would be over 600 homes. Too many for the infrastructure I agree. The other sites, as far as I am concerned, are pure speculation.

600 houses is around the same size, I believe, correct me if I am wrong, as Wadsley Park Village. That would be alright if there was a trunk-road that could take that weight of traffic, possibly by creating a new road along the old railway line and introducing a new bridge over the Don.

Even then it is problematic. A lightweight solution would be to improve the Leppings Lane junction with Catchbar Lane, creating a (better) one-way traffic loop and a roundabout there for example, but there is little room to work with.

PS - it is the 250m2 plots I can't get my head around. Why not use that plot for high quality housing, 750-1000m2 plots, why build yet another cramped estate in the area?

The Railway line is in use daily by the steelwaoks moving steel between Fox`s and the Rotherham steel works.

I've driven and cycled past the old paper mill many times, and I always thought it would make a good flat conversion of the old building. I wouldn't mind living there so close to the woods, there's a path that takes you onto the fire trails.

I seem to remember post 2007 flood A new road proposed down the side of win gardens over the river connecting to claywheels lane. I think to some degree it was the councils dream of industry re establishing on clay wheels as well as taking traffic from Leppings and Jawbone bridges.

Somebody need to make up their mind about the railway there's some good bridges and clear roadway being very under used, either tarmac it and transport the steel by road (it'll make Beeching happy) or better still keep the tracks and get some electric public transport on them. The bridges could be shared for improved road junctions it would be no different to the trams only more sensable.

The wood land and grazing doesn't need to be developed yet there's still plenty of brown field to build on first.

Why object?

I have no objection to them building on the site of the (ex) paper mill, it`s the traffic that will be generated that I feel (know) will be a big problem. I`d like to know what, if anything, the developers will be asked to do to alleviate that. Unfortunately, if you look at the map, anything they do will only have a marginal effect because the great majority of the 200 odd cars a day (which will commute from that site) will end up going across Leppings Lane junction.

Worthwhile potential measures would be :

1 An access road built up to the Stocksbridge bypass.

2 A new road and bridge from near where Winn Gardens is to link up with Claywheels Lane, thus diverting as significant amount of traffic away from Leppings lane. This has been discussed before on SF but will be even more worthwhile if this huge development (about 300 houses = about 300 cars, or more ?)

3 Extension of the tram and a stop at the development. The last would probably have the least effect on reducing congestion at Leppings Lane junction but would still be worthwhile.

The problem is I don`t think the developers will be required to do any of these things.

Edited by Justin Smith