United new players

Never heard of him, but importantly Wilder trusts him. Hopefully he will be a better influence than Adkins and his former players, Woolford and Hammond.

Certainly can't accuse him of going after big names looking for a final payday so far...!

Some good signings made of late. I like the face CW is changing the culture, which has been the issue. He's recognised this and we now appear to be stronger.

Never heard of him, but importantly Wilder trusts him. Hopefully he will be a better influence than Adkins and his former players, Woolford and Hammond.

Certainly can't accuse him of going after big names looking for a final payday so far...!

Agreed, although we did speak with Kilgallon who's not too far off retirement. It's funny, we have signed three CB's, something Clough and Adkins failed to do in two seasons...

Agreed, although we did speak with Kilgallon who's not too far off retirement. It's funny, we have signed three CB's, something Clough and Adkins failed to do in two seasons...

Seems crazy doesn't it that we as fans all could see we had CB issues which previous managers failed to see. I think Kilgallon would be a mistake though. He could be a player looking for one last pay day and does he have the legs to play with the intensity that CW is planning to do so, so he's a no for me.

Seems crazy doesn't it that we as fans all could see we had CB issues which previous managers failed to see. I think Kilgallon would be a mistake though. He could be a player looking for one last pay day and does he have the legs to play with the intensity that CW is planning to do so, so he's a no for me.

Great post FR and he's a poser who we don't really need, he'd be bothered about messing his hair up.

Great post FR and he's a poser who we don't really need, he'd be bothered about messing his hair up.

Agree Pete, in fact the signing condition should be that every player should have their hair shaved number one all over no messing... just like the army in the old days. :hihi:

Quite a few of the players that Wilder is signing have been captains of clubs at some stage or other.Wilder is right to look for leadership qualities,which is what we have been lacking for a long time,and he is probably hoping that while Billy is club captain,at the back,we have players who can take responsibility and command authority.

These players have been around the block in the lower leagues and some have achieved promotions,mostly from the second to the first division,but some have something to prove,and Wilder obviously has seen in them the ability to be able to do that,so now they have a platform to take it on themselves and go out as Blades and do the business.

I am sure that Wilder has the ability to knit these players together and make a decent team,but the rest is down to them to take the opportunity and go out and make a name for themselves.

I think the proof of the pudding will emerge the longer the season goes on,as it will take time for them to settle and build up an understanding and a team spirit,but as long as we see signs of progress that is not a problem.Two steps forward and one step back is not a bad place to be in for the first part of the season,until we find out just what we have here,last season was just one step forward and two steps back,we knew we were going nowhere.

I don't think it was so much that the previous managers couldn't see that we needed a CB, I think it was more than they allowed themselves to get wrangled in discussions with a couple of agents representing players and never really pursued other options due to looking within a limited market.

Wilder has broader horizons and is looking for capable, young, hungry players who want to go out there and play football and win games as opposed to journey men looking for a payday from the league above as you rightly say about Kilgallon FR.

Whilst I agree to an extent about Kilgallon, I do see why Wilder had a look at him. He wanted to leader in every department which incidentally I think is why he has signed Jake Wright.

I don't think it was so much that the previous managers couldn't see that we needed a CB, I think it was more than they allowed themselves to get wrangled in discussions with a couple of agents representing players and never really pursued other options due to looking within a limited market.

Wilder has broader horizons and is looking for capable, young, hungry players who want to go out there and play football and win games as opposed to journey men looking for a payday from the league above as you rightly say about Kilgallon FR.

Whilst I agree to an extent about Kilgallon, I do see why Wilder had a look at him. He wanted to leader in every department which incidentally I think is why he has signed Jake Wright.

Think that's the previous managers downfall though, they didn't have a plan B. And were unwilling to look at other different alternatives. You'd have thought with the previous managers experiences of all leagues they'd have found some decent CB.

I'm just really glad we're overcoming and getting rid of the soft culture we've had for the past five years or so!

Think that's the previous managers downfall though, they didn't have a plan B. And were unwilling to look at other different alternatives. You'd have thought with the previous managers experiences of all leagues they'd have found some decent CB.

I'm just really glad we're overcoming and getting rid of the soft culture we've had for the past five years or so!

I think the main difference may be in the mentality behind why the two managers decided to join United.

Nigel Adkins had already been out of the game for 6 months before joining United, so there must have been some relief on his part in finding another job.

Chris Wilder on the other hand, has left a club that he has just got promoted.

So, in my opinion, one may have taken the job to get himself back into the game, and the other has taken the job because he really wants it...

... and that indicates to me a very big difference in terms of motivation.

I suppose we'll soon find out... :)

Jake Wright doesn't fit into the young, hungry player category though.