Remembering the miners strike

Dont throw me in with him. I was just saying its time to move on.

There was a man on Look North yesterday who said "Most of the 95 are dead so it'll be good to have an inquiry before the rest of them die."

That just sums it up really. Who will really benefit from an inquiry? Let it go.

No, I don't think you are in the same category as Ingham at all, few are.:) You are just in danger of being as wrong.

Who will really benefit from an inquiry? Those who have had an injustice perpetrated against them. There is enough evidence of a culture that abused position and power to warrant scrutiny.

Equally so, those in positions of power could possibly be vindicated so they may have something to gain, although I suspect not.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 12:08 ----------

The lawyers as usual.

Would lawyers be extensively involved in an inquiry? Genuine question.

They could certainly be involved in what may follow, and could earn a great deal perpetuating discredited and highly aggressive defences if recent history is anything to go by.

Edited by mikem8634

I dont think there should be an Orgreave inquiry. It'll be expensive and damaging to an already battered region.

But L**ds has Harvey Nicks and Manchester has selfridges, so why can't we have an Orgreave inquiry?

We should look to the future now and focus on making Yorkshire great again.

No no, we're happy to hold grudges for over thirty years, especially since L**ds and Manchester are now so well established that we'll never catch them.

P.S. That last sentence of yours makes you sound like Donald Trump

Sorry....

Lets remember the depressing times and live off past glories.

Sorry....

Lets remember the depressing times and live off past glories.

That's the spirit!

I think we should rebuild the steelworks too. All those chimneys would top the city skyline off beautifully.

That's the spirit!

I think we should rebuild the steelworks too. All those chimneys would top the city skyline off beautifully.

A lot of those chimney's now stand as centre pieces in upmarket flats (apartments to some:hihi:)

These flats can not be afforded by many of the children and grand children of the ex workers who toiled in those buildings.

Ironic int it.

Proud to have supported and been part of the history of the Miners Strike in 84.

The following is a little bit of hidden history.

A group of us adopted the Armthorpe Pit during the strike. Southgate College NATFHE -of which I was later to become the branch secretary- raised £800 for the Armthope miners.Southgate NATFHE supported the miners throughout the strike. I drove a mini-bus packed with teachers and students-the majoruty of which were openly gay- to the Armthorpe Miners Welfare Club on Christmas Eve 1984. We delivered our collection along with the food we had gathered.

We spent the evening at the Welfare .We got drunk and danced to a disco of Norther Soul . I'll never forget it. I still have the lapel badge they gave to us.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/31/pride-film-gay-activists-miners-strike-interview

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/retro-pictures-christmas-in-doncaster-in-the-80s-and-90s-part-3-1-7630114

Edited by petemcewan

But Leeds has Harvey Nicks and Manchester has selfridges, so why can't we have an Orgreave inquiry?

No no, we're happy to hold grudges for over thirty years, especially since Leeds and Manchester are now so well established that we'll never catch them.

Either there is a fault with that keyboard of yours or you have inadvertently set it to "c******h" mode.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 15:04 ----------

I think it is one of the things that have held South Yorkshire back from moving forward like other counties/cities. Its stubbornness to let go of the past no matter how sad and depressing.

You'd think that the 1980's would be a time that most Yorkshire families would like to forget. A depressing time that should be long forgotten.

I dont think there should be an Orgreave inquiry. It'll be expensive and damaging to an already battered region.

We should look to the future now and focus on making Yorkshire great again.

Well said :thumbsup:

Proud to have supported and been part of the history of the Miners Strike in 84.

The following is a little bit of hidden history.

A group of us adopted the Armthorpe Pit during the strike. Southgate College NATFHE -of which I was later to become the branch secretary- raised £800 for the Armthope miners.Southgate NATFHE supported the miners throughout the strike. I drove a mini-bus packed with teachers and students-the majoruty of which were openly gay- to the Armthorpe Miners Welfare Club on Christmas Eve 1984. We delivered our collection along with the food we had gathered.

We spent the evening at the Welfare .We got drunk and danced to a disco of Norther Soul . I'll never forget it. I still have the lapel badge they gave to us.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/31/pride-film-gay-activists-miners-strike-interview

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/retro-pictures-christmas-in-doncaster-in-the-80s-and-90s-part-3-1-7630114

Class. A great example of communities uniting.

I'll never forget that day at Orgreave either.

My husband, myself and two young children were stuck in our car along with a few other cars on Rotherham Road whilst the thuggish miners threw bricks etc towards us. We had been visiting relatives just round the corner and unwittingly drove onto Rotherham Road on our way home. The miners were in a frenzy just throwing whatever they could... luckily we and the other unfortunate cars managed to escape before we were hit. It was the most frightening experience I have ever encountered.

Well said :thumbsup:

Unless we examine past mistakes we risk going forward with the same corruption at the core of our future.

It is a least worth a careful look to ensure the future is free from the culture evident in the history of SYP and beyond

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 15:11 ----------

I'll never forget that day at Orgreave either.

My husband, myself and two young children were stuck in our car along with a few other cars on Rotherham Road whilst the thuggish miners threw bricks etc towards us. We had been visiting relatives just round the corner and unwittingly drove onto Rotherham Road on our way home. The miners were in a frenzy just throwing whatever they could... luckily we and the other unfortunate cars managed to escape before we were hit. It was the most frightening experience I have ever encountered.

Awful that.

As I have said, scrutinise and follow the evidence wherever it may lead.

Edited by mikem8634

Unless we examine past mistakes we risk going forward with the same corruption at the core or our future.

It is a least worth a careful look to ensure the future is free from the culture evident in the history of SYP and wider society.

Sorry I meant the community should as a whole should concentrate on moving on, as for an enquiry then I agree, in the light of all the other crap dished out by SYP there should indeed be one.

Sorry I meant the community should as a whole should concentrate on moving on, as for an enquiry then I agree, in the light of all the other crap dished out by SYP there should indeed be one.

Ooops, apologies.