Remembering the miners strike

Agree with everything you said Owethemnowt, especially your comment about the wrong move in taking on Thatcher. I thought at the time that he had done this because he believed he would win.

Scargill was a formidable debater, a great orator and Thatcher refused to debate with him as she'd lose and be exposed for pursuing a crusade to smash one Union and thereby bring down the rest.

None of these hile profile public figures seem capable of remaining uncorrupted by the power they find once in post. Thatcher paved the way for her useless son to syphon off millions in arms deals, Scargill always looked after his finances as equally as he did the miners. Which was well until he made a wrong move in taking on Thatcher.

What we saw at Hillsboro, the corruption of the establishment, is being shown to have been pre-empted with the miners' strike.

And the corruption just continues within society today. MPs behaviour has certainly not changed whereas I'm not aware of continuing Union Leaders engaging in national strikes or controversially lining their own pockets.

People take sides on these issues and are biased from the start.

Scargill, and his oratory was analysed at the time, was equal to any world figure in his mastery of language and his use of gesture. His delivery was flawless. Whereas Thatcher, who was quite poor, had to be trained and coached in order to communicate effectively.

At the risk of doing a Ken Livingstone, I'll conclude by pointing out that Hitler too, like Churchill was a great Orator. But even Churchill used a vocal stand in to deliver some of his most memorable speeches. They were afterall received by radio.

Scargill got it politically wrong, but then he wasn't a politician. He was a Union man who fought all his life to protect the jobs and conditions of service of his members. misguided or not.

Thatcher gave us the memorable 'there's no such thing as society' to quote Skimmer's version of what she actually said.

Think about it. A close knit community of Miners or a society of everyone for themselves.

I know what Thatcher's legacy actually is. No society and no jobs in mining.

Scargill was fighting against a corrupt establishment giving a green light to a corrupt Police Force to violently attack them.

The Miners' didn't stab Scargill in the back either. But look at what happened to Thatcher. It speaks volumes for the Miners themselves and exposes MPs for the bandwagon jumping opportunists they really are.

The moment he thought he could take her on he was finished ,and so were his members jobs.

Scargill put his members on the dole when he took on Thatcher.

He was out of his depth big time.

I'm not disagreeing, but there's a lot more to the miners strike than Our Arfur's prolific nest-feathering.

Actually - no there isn't - that pretty much sums it up.

Actually - no there isn't - that pretty much sums it up.

There's a lot more to the story than Our Arfur, such as the damage caused to the mining communities that never recovered and are still affected today.

I agree that Our Arfur did start to lose his marbles in his Autumn years, greedily claiming as much as he could from the NUM . . . rather like our MPs grabbing as much as they can in expenses, don't you think?

Thanks to Owethemnowt for an informative post.

There's a lot more to the story than Our Arfur, such as the damage caused to the mining communities that never recovered and are still affected today.

I agree that Our Arfur did start to lose his marbles in his Autumn years, greedily claiming as much as he could from the NUM . . . rather like our MPs grabbing as much as they can in expenses, don't you think?

Thanks to Owethemnowt for an informative post.

Why are they still affected? A lot of these communities have had money thrown at them in grants for infrastructure, industrial estates etc - now all staffed by eu nationals. Why have some kicked on a bit and others haven't?

Why are they still affected? A lot of these communities have had money thrown at them in grants for infrastructure, industrial estates etc - now all staffed by eu nationals. Why have some kicked on a bit and others haven't?

I wouldn't expect a shandy-drinker from dahn saaf to understand, but us Northerners never forget and we always stand together shoulder to shoulder in solidarity and against adversity. . . for the most part

The moment he thought he could take her on he was finished ,and so were his members jobs.

Scargill put his members on the dole when he took on Thatcher.

He was out of his depth big time.

No, I'm quite sure it was Thatcher that put them on the dole.

Yes Thatcher was such a hero, she made Britain great - greatly appreciated by the countries that continue to benefit today from her Great British sell off.

Edited by Lex Luthor

I wouldn't expect a shandy-drinker from dahn saaf to understand, but us Northerners never forget and we always stand together shoulder to shoulder in solidarity and against adversity. . . for the most part

I think it is one of the things that have held South Yorkshire back from moving forward like other counties/cities. Its stubbornness to let go of the past no matter how sad and depressing.

You'd think that the 1980's would be a time that most Yorkshire families would like to forget. A depressing time that should be long forgotten.

I dont think there should be an Orgreave inquiry. It'll be expensive and damaging to an already battered region.

We should look to the future now and focus on making Yorkshire great again.

Edited by AmourDesign

Correct .

Although to many "King Arthur " is still a hero .

Scargill was your typical union leader....... feathering his own nest whilst fleecing his own members.

Think you're confusing him with Thatcher's favourite miner, Neil Greatrex, head of the breakaway union the UDM, who was jailed in 2012:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-17871869

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 11:12 ----------

I think it is one of the things that have held South Yorkshire back from moving forward like other counties/cities. Its stubbornness to let go of the past no matter how sad and depressing.

You'd think that the 1980's would be a time that most Yorkshire families would like to forget. A depressing time that should be long forgotten.

We should look to the future now and try and make Yorkshire great again.

I dont think there should be an Orgreave inquiry. It'll be expensive and damaging to an already battered region.

I think there should be an Orgreave inquiry as soon as possible. There is nothing to be gained for those affected by sweeping an injustice under the carpet....As much as some would like it to be.

We should look to the future now and focus on making Yorkshire great again.

That sounds a bit like a far less cruel version of Bernard Ingham's terrible advice to the Hillsborough families. Consider how wrong that was. Orgreave warrants scrutiny. Then, follow the evidence wherever it may lead.

That sounds a bit like a far less cruel version of Bernard Ingham's terrible advice to the Hillsborough families. Consider how wrong that was. Orgreave warrants scrutiny. Then, follow the evidence wherever it may lead.

Dont throw me in with him. I was just saying its time to move on.

There was a man on Look North yesterday who said "Most of the 95 are dead so it'll be good to have an inquiry before the rest of them die."

That just sums it up really. Who will really benefit from an inquiry? Let it go.

Dont throw me in with him. I was just saying its time to move on.

There was a man on Look North yesterday who said "Most of the 95 are dead so it'll be good to have an inquiry before the rest of them die."

That just sums it up really. Who will really benefit from an inquiry? Let it go.

The lawyers as usual.