Who will succeed Cameron?

There goes the tax base.

Should have had a flutter on that.:hihi:Gove not out yet, but won't be long.

Let's hope he's not in the last two, the man is bonkers.

Only one winner though not an easy task taking the country down a path you don't believe in.

Exciting! Fox out first.

Fox was out first (out of three candidates) in the last 2005 Tory leadership election too, which makes Fox look like this perennial loser. While I suppose the facts speak for themselves and Fox did finish last both times, don't forget Fox just might - unlike this time - have actually won the 2005 Tory leadership election and he was probably at the start of the campaigning, 2nd favourite after Davis.

May will win this but she was never really quite the total outsider like Cameron or nearly all the other Tory leaders were say a couple of years before the leadership elections they won. There was a time a up until about 2 years ago when she was bookies' favourite to be next Tory leader ahead of Boris, and I don't think she has ever been anything lower than 2nd favourite.

Fox was out first (out of three candidates) in the last 2005 Tory leadership election too,

No he wasnt, that was Ken Clarke. Fox was 3rd and didn't make it to the members vote. There were 4 candidates also, not 3. Cameron, David Davis, Fox and Clarke.

Edited by Berberis

No he wasnt, that was Ken Clarke. Fox was 3rd and didn't make it to the members vote. There were 4 candidates also, not 3. Cameron, David Davis, Fox and Clarke.

That is correct and Cameron was second in the first ballot. The difference in that contest is there was no clear winner in the MP's votes like yesterday. Theresa May had just over 50% of votes in a five horse race, which is a decisive victory.

That is correct and Cameron was second in the first ballot. The difference in that contest is there was no clear winner in the MP's votes like yesterday. Theresa May had just over 50% of votes in a five horse race, which is a decisive victory.

I remember listening to the results on the radio. I was rooting for Clarke and was rather disappointed when he was booted out in the first round. It was a bit of a shock as many thought he had a good chance of winning. Tory leadership contests rarely go the way people expect though.

I don't like the idea of Andrea Leadsom being a possibility. I'd never heard of her until she threw her hat in the ring. Does she have the skills and presence to be PM or will she be the Tories Corbyn?

I can't say I'm May's biggest fan, but she does have the look of Thatcher about her and seems strong to lead the country.

I don't like the idea of Andrea Leadsom being a possibility. I'd never heard of her until she threw her hat in the ring. Does she have the skills and presence to be PM or will she be the Tories Corbyn?

I can't say I'm May's biggest fan, but she does have the look of Thatcher about her and seems strong to lead the country.

You like her because she looks like Thatcher?

Would it help if Leadsome changed her hair or something?

She is a good speaker on TV debate, although I have only watched her a little. I would prefer her, but she is tainted by the vote leave, but the 52% might think that a positive. She seems intelligent, and not a toff.

May had just over 50% of votes in a five horse race, which is a decisive victory.
she got roughly the same percentage that Thatcher got in 1990. Not all that comprehensive a victory. Under the old rules, there'd have been another ballot.

she got roughly the same percentage that Thatcher got in 1990. Not all that comprehensive a victory. Under the old rules, there'd have been another ballot.

That is a fair point. In fact Mrs Thatcher got a bigger percentage of the vote and was only 4 votes short of preventing a second ballot under the rules. John Major received slightly less than 50% of the vote in the second ballot which was a three horse race, but no third ballot occurred because the other two candidates withdrew. It turned out that more MPs voted for Mrs Thatcher in the first ballot than voted for John Major, who replaced her as Prime Minister in the second ballot.

Theresa May had more support in percentage terms in the first ballot of a five horse race, than John Mayor did in a three horse way.