Coal Shute problem

Hi my daughter has just moved into a house on a hill in Sheffield

The cellar is damp and is going to get some one in to sort it, but she has a coal shute that is open to the public pathway and so gets quite a lot of rain and damp connected to that.

Can anyone give me suggestions as how to solve this problem

Thanks

Is it rented?

No it isn't. It is her first house and doesn't know much about these things, and neither do I.

I will ask her and get back to you, thank you for your interest

You could block the coal chute up as I'm assuming it's not being used.

but the basement will need ventilation, otherwise it'll get horrible down there.

Can anyone recommend a builder who can put in an air brick and the block up my daughter coal chute. She lives in s6. Also she needs an electrician, any recommendations?

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 13:04 ----------

Wayne number not answering

More than happy to take a look & do a quote

Thanks Mally

Passed your number on to my daughter. Thanks

Ive lived in a house with a coal cellar. In the middle of the floor there was a hole in the bricks exposing earth. A builder relative told me to leave the floor alone and NOT to fill the hole in. Its a soakaway for any water that gets in through the coal chute. Where I live now, my neighbour concreted the floor in his cellar. Heavy rain caused serious flooding, 4 feet deep. He had to buy a pump and pump it out. He didnt know about soakaways. My advice would be to secure the coalchute but dont reduce ventilation, and dont fill any soakaways.

Thanks Euclid, will give that info to my daughter ASAP. Just need someone to do it

Years ago when I had my first house also a terrace I had the same thing.

I found a stone slab which would cover the hole, then bought 3 air bricks which I placed on each of 3 sides along with some bricks and then laid the stone on top. I used a 4 of sand to 1 of cement mix. Overall I doubt it cost more than £10 then. Most houses tend to have a few bricks laying around. I did leave a gap next to the house wall to avoid bridging the damp proof course etc..

Last time I went past it's still there.

It stopped water coming into the cellar and made it a little more secure.