Euro 2016 General Thread

Rather than all posts tagging on to the end of the England v Russia thread - thought I'd start a general thread for Euro 2016.

As usual, opening matches have been pretty cagey - although Germany and Italy have shown how to hang on to a 1-0 lead - take note England - don't all retreat into your own penalty area.

A good half of the goals so far have been crackers - hope we get loads more. Italy's first tonight reminded me of the one Bergkamp scored against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup finals.

On paper Belgium have one of the strongest squads but just didn't seem to have the end product- I initially had them down as the tournaments dark horses!

Felt for ROI with the own goal, really wanted them to get 3 points.

Rather than all posts tagging on to the end of the England v Russia thread - thought I'd start a general thread for Euro 2016.

As usual, opening matches have been pretty cagey - although Germany and Italy have shown how to hang on to a 1-0 lead - take note England - don't all retreat into your own penalty area.

An excellent point. Both Germany and Italy dominated their games similar to England and had 1- 0 leads on 90 minutes. The rest is history, which is a little like the history of these three nations in major tournaments.

Germany never dominated their game,and were lucky not to concede a couple of goals in the first half especially.They look much weaker and vulnerable in defence than their teams of previous years.They have a decent attack,but they only secured their win in the last moments after Ukraine left themselves open at the back while looking for a goal,not convinced at all about Germany,they play an open game that will give good teams a chance of beating them.

Germany never dominated their game,and were lucky not to concede a couple of goals in the first half especially.They look much weaker and vulnerable in defence than their teams of previous years.They have a decent attack,but they only secured their win in the last moments after Ukraine left themselves open at the back while looking for a goal,not convinced at all about Germany,they play an open game that will give good teams a chance of beating them.

The problem with Germany is that they have blips against daft teams.

In the World Cup 2010 they smashed England 4-1, Argentina and Australia 4-0, but lost 1-0 to Serbia. However, once they get to the knckout stage, something seems to happen to them and they tighten up at the back.

Probably won't happen this year as I wasn't confident of the squad, but you can never really write them off. If they can't defend, they'll just have to score loads.

Italy v Germany final for me.

Italy have that look in their eye and masters of winning when it matters as are Germany.

How Portugal think they were hard done by is baffling. They were awful last night and over rated.

I think we'll reach the Semi Finals. Got a feeling we're going to batter Wales too. 3-0 to England.

The problem with having so many teams (24) in the competition is the quality suffers.

Iceland should a total lack of respect for football by mostly just trying to defend.

When they had possession - first option - to punt it long!

That is the most one sided match in terms of possession I've ever seen.

Funny thing is they had a couple of decent chances at the end and could have stolen it.

Best payer I've seen so far - was the French sub Coman.

The problem with having so many teams (24) in the competition is the quality suffers.

Iceland should a total lack of respect for football by mostly just trying to defend.

Funny thing is they had a couple of decent chances at the end and could have stolen it.

Best payer I've seen so far - was the French sub Coman.

Iceland defended when they had to and attacked when they could,the only lack of respect for football has come from Ronaldo.Iceland more than matched Portugal for most of the game and it wasn't one sided in any shape or form.Iceland deserved the point they got,Portugal were shown up for what they are,a one trick pony who underachieve when the pony goes missing.

Russia lose. Hopefully they'll be out of the tournament soon and all their racist homophobic thugs can bugger off home.

-

:confused:

I've split this into two.

Top: What do you expect them to do?

Bottom: Exactly! As a neutral, this made the game!

-

I thought it was a good game, I enjoyed it.

Today, England will win over Wales. Tomorrow, I hope Croatia will beat Czech. :)

Yesterday , i was quite suprised by France poor performanse over Albania. I mean, they won, but, hardly. And I am glad that Russia lost, cant stand nazi-rascist fan base

Edited by Guest

A great result for Northern Ireland. It is good that all the home nations have now all won a game and all can still progress in the tournament.