Do you suffer from lBS ?

This is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I don't but my best friend does. She is in agony with it most of the time. It consists of either constipation, diahorrea or both. Bloating is also one of the symptoms.

I want to help her but can't as I've never suffered with it. I wondered if any Sf members have this condition and can they suggest anything that has helped them ?

I had it for a long while after having my hernia op, the doc prescribed mebeverine hydrochloride which helped a lot.

I used buscopan, some swear by peppermint oil capsules.

The best thing is to find what triggers it, could be food or stress. If food try and sort the problem at source. There is plenty of info on line. Luckily I rarely have bloating but once you have IBS it then it is usually for life unfortunately.

I found that the issue is stress and poor diet/lifestyle; eat porridge made with water on a morning, and sort your life out, the IBS went away.

No, he resigned a few weeks ago.

I found that the issue is stress and poor diet/lifestyle; eat porridge made with water on a morning, and sort your life out, the IBS went away.

Thank you for all your advice. I will tell my friend to try Porridge made with water and see if that helps. Also the drugs mentioned in the above posts may help.:)

I was told that I had IBS years ago and continued to suffer with worsening health until I could hardly get through a day I was so exhausted. I input all my symptoms on a diagnostic website and it came back with two possibilities, both of which turned out to be accurate to 99.9%. Coeliac Disease and Helicobactor Pylori which causes Digestive Ulcers. I asked for tests for both of these. The Helicobactor test was negative but the Coeliac Disease had caused so much damage I had ulcerated areas on my digestive tract. Get your friend to ask the GP for the test for Coeliac disease. This is caused by Gluten and the effects are devastating if Coeliacs continue to ingest it. Fortunately we have in Sheffield one of the world's leading Gastroenterology teams including dieticians. There is no cure but you can recover by not ingesting Gluten and having a great diet.

My daughter has IBS and the thing that has helped her most is excercise

I've had it since I was 14. For me, diet and exercise do nothing to control it. However, SLEEP has a massive impact on my symptoms. If I sleep for 6 hours a night, I have much more comfortable, normal, and predictable movements as opposed to when I sleep for 8 hours a night.

As said above, Mebeverine can help. Your friend should also ask her doctor about Fybogel. I seem to be immune to it now, but it helped me a lot in my younger years.

Edited by Revel

Mebeverine can control the spasms - which cause much of the pain. IBS is often stress related so the friend may need to make some lifestyle changes.

I have it and as a bus driver who can't always get to the toilet, it is a complete nightmare. I take Loperomide Hydrochloride. It is an anti diarrhoearal (sic)? It seems I have to plan my life around it, i.e making sure I go to the toilet before I go out on the road. I have had Cognitive Behavoral Therapy that didn't help, undergone lots of tests and still no closer to finding out why I have it. I have just come to accept that this is me and there's nothing I can do about it.

I have it and as a bus driver who can't always get to the toilet, it is a complete nightmare. I take Loperomide Hydrochloride. It is an anti diarrhoearal (sic)? It seems I have to plan my life around it, i.e making sure I go to the toilet before I go out on the road. I have had Cognitive Behavoral Therapy that didn't help, undergone lots of tests and still no closer to finding out why I have it. I have just come to accept that this is me and there's nothing I can do about it.

Genuinely sorry to hear that, my mate has it and she suffers when it really hits but she works from home so doesn't have to cope with the same issues you have.

I salute you sir.