Where has Crookes Post Office gone?

Does anyone know what has happened to Crookes Post Office which appears to have closed? Been a landmark since Adam was a lad - RIP!

its now inside Baxters Londis further up Crookes.

Great shame it's been there well over a hundred years.

I've only used the new one once, Post Office trainers were there teaching the staff how to snoop " vot is in your parcel" etc., for "security reasons" you are expected to discuss your business in front of a shop full of people. I don't intend to go back, so as it's the nearest convenience store to me, it will cost them around fifty quid a week.

The good news is it seems they do not have to read your letters before you post them - this of course may change.

Guest makapaka

The post office near school road was bad towards the end. Poor service and poorly looked after inside.

its now inside Baxters Londis further up Crookes.

Thanks for that information.

Was looking to send a parcel on Saturday and ended up at the office in Spar shop at Crosspool.

---------- Post added 13-06-2016 at 10:02 ----------

Great shame it's been there well over a hundred years.

I've only used the new one once, Post Office trainers were there teaching the staff how to snoop " vot is in your parcel" etc., for "security reasons" you are expected to discuss your business in front of a shop full of people. I don't intend to go back, so as it's the nearest convenience store to me, it will cost them around fifty quid a week.

The good news is it seems they do not have to read your letters before you post them - this of course may change.

I was asked what was in my package at the Spar post office and have been at other post offices in the past. Always understood this was to determine the value of contents and therefore the amount of insurance cover required. If security were an issue you'd hardly be likely to tell the truth if it contained something dodgy - would you?

God there are some paranoid people on here. If you dont really want to tell them what is in the parcel, just tell them what the net worth is, or, tell a lie and say its not valuable but dont then go crying to the Post Office should it be lost or damaged in transit.

I would suggest it's to do with prohibited goods, e.g. Lithium-Ion batteries shipped without their parent device.

I would suggest it's to do with prohibited goods, e.g. Lithium-Ion batteries shipped without their parent device.

yes they don't want them bursting into flames when in the cargo hold of a plane.

yes they don't want them bursting into flames when in the cargo hold of a plane.

Spot on as. Lot of mail is airlifted now they use very few trains

I've never been asked directly in a post office "What's in your parcel"

I've been asked "Are the contents over the value of £xx"

I haven't quoted an exact figure as can't remember what the different thresholds are concerning insurance in relation to recorded delivery and special delivery.

Maybe Elmambo got paranoid about being asked about the value of his/her package because they had something to hide?

I've never been asked directly in a post office "What's in your parcel"

I've been asked "Are the contents over the value of £xx"

I haven't quoted an exact figure as can't remember what the different thresholds are concerning insurance in relation to recorded delivery and special delivery.

Maybe Elmambo got paranoid about being asked about the value of his/her package because they had something to hide?

Don't try to be clever at my expense. Perhaps you are paranoid because you are hiding the fact that you are an idiot.

The question I was asked was "what is in the package" - the person at the next booth was told that "for security reasons I have to ask what is in the parcel" I was informed that a declaration that "the package does not contain anything on your restricted or banned list" is not sufficient. Nothing to do with the value - is that clear !

If you enjoy discussing your business in public or being interrogated by a pimply youth, I am unsurprised. I do not. The Post Office is a commercial organisation. I am a customer and I expect to be treated with respect not suspicion.

The post office near school road was bad towards the end. Poor service and poorly looked after inside.

Sadly I agree. the service was inconsistent. Several times I've had to rudely interrupt the counter staff's avid phone use to get some attention.