Vaxuhall Astra LS 16v 2004, drops 1000 rev and cuts out

Thanks for comments, yea my gut feeling is EGR as when the car is standing you can see the rev counter drop rev's ever few seconds

The EGR valve (not sensor) is indeed a very common fault with Vauxhalls and the symptoms do match. If it's the type I'm thinking of they're not too expensive and quite easy to change (two male torx head bolts, if memory serves correct).

Thanks everyone great comments, I wasn't to sure how expensive this EGR valve is, dont want my pants pulled down on price. Ive poated this on vaxuhall site and some comment on thier say the same thing, very commen problem with vaxuhall astra. Whats made it difficult is trying to explain such a bizarre fault as it only happens when going up an hill and coming to a stop or travelling then coming to a stop, dropping the var to shift gear and then rev counter drops all the way to cut out. Its deffientley not getting enough fuel to engine to maintain that rev above 1000.

Thanks everyone great comments, I wasn't to sure how expensive this EGR valve is, dont want my pants pulled down on price. Ive poated this on vaxuhall site and some comment on thier say the same thing, very commen problem with vaxuhall astra. Whats made it difficult is trying to explain such a bizarre fault as it only happens when going up an hill and coming to a stop or travelling then coming to a stop, dropping the var to shift gear and then rev counter drops all the way to cut out. Its deffientley not getting enough fuel to engine to maintain that rev above 1000.

Type your reg number into sites like GSF or Euro Car Parts to get a rough idea of price.

If theres a hissing noise breather pipe??come off