Vaxuhall Astra LS 16v 2004, drops 1000 rev and cuts out

Help & Advice needed. When i start my car it sturgles to hold 1000 rev's

When i drive and pull up to traffic lights the rev counter seems to drop and the engine cuts out and i have to restart. No problems restarting but i think i could do with a new starter motor and it sounds cranky on kogs for a few seconds.

I have no idea why my car is doing this any advice??

Idle air control valve needs cleaning out probably, a common fault I believe.

Does the engine management light come on at all ?

No, tried the pedal test and nothing. all checks out ok.

What i do notice, when i lift up the hood is the it makes hissing noice, like is struggling to put fule into the engine like it's difficult to spit fule, hence the drop in revs.

with this when driving and then slowing down dropping the car out of gear drops the rev counter down then it drops below 1000 rev and drops, having to restart.

Edited by teenagekicks

Sounds like a misfire. Does the car judder? Get a garage to check the error codes - the pedal test can be hard to translate into a code.

Hello everyone, car has been tested and is showing no issues however this problem still is happening. Please link to youtube video

to show what happens any thoughts would be a great help

---------- Post added 18-06-2016 at 18:12 ----------

When car is tested, No faults are identified on the machine, which is good news. The garage took the car for a quick run and nothing happened, however when i drove about 6 miles came to quickly stop it cut out. Very frustrating, still no clue to what may be causing this problem

---------- Post added 18-06-2016 at 18:18 ----------

Car repairs have been ECU cleaned, air filter, new fuel filter. New starter motor

I had a similar fault on my Hyundai, when it finally stopped and wouldn't restart it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor that was at fault

Ive looked into this quite heavy now, it was plugged in a system test and nothing came out and garge said car is fine. VAUXHALL web site mention that it could be EGR sensor

If a garage with proper machine can find the problem. You think the Google mechanic and solve it here?????

It does look like an EGR sensor, I've also had issues like this with my Honda and that turned out to be due to a bad alternator, I really don't know how that works, but when the alternator was replaced the issue stopped altogether.

Just cured a similar fault on my 2003 Primera, on tick over the revs would drop to 3-400 rpm and almost stall. Turned out to be an air leak on the inlet manifold. It's a two piece plenum chamber and three out of six of the nuts holding it together were only hand tight.