Postal strike in sheffield 18th June

Sheffield south who deliver to S7&8 will be on strike next sat in support of a member of staff that has just been sacked

Sheffield south who deliver to S7&8 will be on strike next sat in support of a member of staff that has just been sacked

So instead of seeking redress of grievance through seeking to charge them with unfair dismissal the union brothers and sisters are doing what they do best. Take time off work.

I don't know anything about the case but either one of two things happened. He was sacked unfairly in which he can appeal and seek unfair dismissal or its justified. Either way does not justify strike action in my book.

So instead of seeking redress of grievance through seeking to charge them with unfair dismissal the union brothers and sisters are doing what they do best. Take time off work.

I don't know anything about the case but either one of two things happened. He was sacked unfairly in which he can appeal and seek unfair dismissal or its justified. Either way does not justify strike action in my book.

Does it not depend on length of service? I thought you couldn't claim unfair dismissal unless you'd worked there for a certain length of time? I don't know the details of this situation to know if that applies.

. . . the union brothers and sisters are doing what they do best.

nowt wrong with a little solidarity.

I think I'll join the postal service and strike alongside them, just to show my support :)

So instead of seeking redress ... union brothers and sisters are doing what they do best. Take time off work.

That's unpaid "time off work". It's heartening to know that your work colleagues think enough of you that they are sacrificing a day's pay to try and save your job.

I don't know anything about the case...

So why speculate then?

So you know all about the case - you know that they haven't tried to seek redress? Do you?

Your statement suggests not - "I don't know anything about the case" and yet you suggest that the fellow workers don't support their colleague and instead do nothing...

Loyalty is a massively undervalued thing - well done for the fellow workers for doing this.

Go back to reading your Daily Mail!

kidley

That is agreeing to a firm sacking anybody with very little reason, and then giving them very litle by way of compensation after they win there case, not an ideal working environment to work in is it.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

So you know all about the case - you know that they haven't tried to seek redress? Do you?

Your statement suggests not - "I don't know anything about the case" and yet you suggest that the fellow workers don't support their colleague and instead do nothing...

Loyalty is a massively undervalued thing - well done for the fellow workers for doing this.

Go back to reading your Daily Mail!

I don't know anything about the case that is true. I am not speculating. I am simply stating there are only two possible truths. Either it was a justified sacking or it wasn't. Either way the unions holding the company to ransom and upsetting customers is not the answer. If he is guilty of something then good he got the sack. If he isn't then he could take it up for unfair dismissal. Strike action is totally unnecessary in this case. Also how do the Unions know he is innocent. They are not him. They should be helping him and represent him but at the end of the day that's all they should do follow the legal process.

I don't know anything about the case that is true. I am not speculating. I am simply stating there are only two possible truths. Either it was a justified sacking or it wasn't. Either way the unions holding the company to ransom and upsetting customers is not the answer. If he is guilty of something then good he got the sack. If he isn't then he could take it up for unfair dismissal. Strike action is totally unnecessary in this case. Also how do the Unions know he is innocent. They are not him. They should be helping him and represent him but at the end of the day that's all they should do follow the legal process.

Things in life aren't just simply black and white, especially the legal process. Think it's jumping the gun when you don't know the full story and generalising unions isn't clever either. The "legal process" over 170 years ago sent a bunch of farm labourers to Australia for forming a union over low pay. These unions that fought for many rights you have today. Worker's aren't slave's and have a "legal right" to withdraw their labour.

...they should do follow the legal process.

And striking is perfectly legal...

So your point is???

Or do you want to deprive the workers of their legal rights?

And striking is perfectly legal...

So your point is???

Or do you want to deprive the workers of their legal rights?

Yes striking is legal and no I wouldn't want workers to be deprived of their rights. I would like them to use them sensibly where they have no choice. In this case if it is an unfair dismissal case they have a choice and legal representation by their union. All unions offer this. So why go for withdrawal of labour.

Its not the first time this has happened either.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11403238/Tube-drivers-go-on-strike-in-defence-of-colleague-caught-drunk-at-the-wheel-twice.html

Also I recall one of the past bus strikes was because a driver had his hand in the till.

Does it not depend on length of service? I thought you couldn't claim unfair dismissal unless you'd worked there for a certain length of time? I don't know the details of this situation to know if that applies.

2 years unless it relates to something covered by the Equality Act when it's from day 1.

typical stuck in the past CWU for you though