Facebook messenger - have you been forced to download it?

Is this the start of big brother and I guess many people thought Fabook was just about uploading photos of the new kitten that you've bort or arranging nights out.

Now you have to download messenger, why is this?

Why does facebook need to know about your contacts and your locations?

this is old news alot of people was forced onto it last year as the native FB app started forcing people to use it aswell as facebook,

as for contacts and location these permissions are asked of 100000s of apps and is nothing to worry about, if your that bothered (and you dont seem the facebook type) just dont use it. theres a million other ways to message friends

Is this the start of big brother and I guess many people thought Fabook was just about uploading photos of the new kitten that you've bort or arranging nights out.

I was asked by fb every time I sent an ordinary message to download Messenger. I refused and my page eventually went back to normal.

Close your account then.

Big brother normally refers to the government :confused:.

Stop notifications.

Exceptional spelling. ;)

this is old news alot of people was forced onto it last year as the native FB app started forcing people to use it aswell as facebook,

Not really old news as it was only when using the Facebook app that you had to download messenger. If you accessed Facebook via your phone's browser, you could still use the message function. Now you can't, they've removed it from everything but using Facebook via web on a desktop computer.

Not really old news as it was only when using the Facebook app that you had to download messenger. If you accessed Facebook via your phone's browser, you could still use the message function. Now you can't, they've removed it from everything but using Facebook via web on a desktop computer.

oh, didnt mean to be funny was just saying anyone using there phone for fb though would have known about the switch also there is various tech sites online would have posted about it a while back.

oh, didnt mean to be funny was just saying anyone using there phone for fb though would have known about the switch also there is various tech sites online would have posted about it a while back.

I don't actually think there was any warning from Facebook about the sudden removal of messages on your phone browser, I didn't have any anyway - I do have the app, and I didn't have messenger, but my app can be a pain in the bum sometimes and I prefer to use the browser, I don't get many Facebook messages really so didn't bother to install messenger. The few I do get I picked up when I opened the browser. Now its forced me to download messenger. I knew last year (or was it the year before?) you could no longer read your messages from the app but I hadn't heard anything about the browser version :) Didn't think you were being funny by the way, hope you don't think I was from my response either :hihi:

No they havent. I dont have the app on my phone and i can send and recieve messages on my phone browser

No they havent. I dont have the app on my phone and i can send and recieve messages on my phone browser

Really? Doesn't work for me or anyone else I've spoken to!

---------- Post added 15-06-2016 at 15:06 ----------

http://techcrunch.com/2016/06/03/facebook-is-disabling-messaging-in-its-mobile-web-app-to-push-people-to-messenger/