Can anyone recommend best food mix for a puppy cockapoo

I would take AADF with a pinch of salt tbh. They slate That'll do yet rate Eden which made my dog ill.

Its all well saying what looks good on paper but it needs to suit your dog aswell

ami - have a look at this page, particularly the top paragraph 'Do I need to change dog food?' might be of interest i.e. if your dog is fit and well there is no need to change food. The website is not slating products - they are reviewed factually by a computer programme that analyses ingredients and analysis of the products.

The raison d'être of the website is to educate owners so that they understand about pet food and can make the best decision for their dog. Some pet food products are truly awful. Surely it is right for people to know about this? If sites like AADF didn't exist then all this would be hidden. It is a well respected website that is useful for people like the OP and skink who are wanting to give a good diet to their new puppies, and for owners whose pets have health problems.

Your experience with Eden is valid and not unusual. However, high quality food such as Eden sometimes needs a slow transition to allow the dog's digestive tract to adjust, particularly if it has been on a much lower quality food. Also, this type of product should be carefully weighed and can often be fed in lower quantities than some foods. Overfeeding can cause digestive problems, particularly with this type of food. Your account of Eden is a good example of why pet owners should not be too swayed by what other people tell them to feed. Your dog tolerates the large amount, and different types of cereal that is in the food that you use but some would not. As you have found out, all dogs are different.

Edited by ccit

“The website is not slating products - they are reviewed by a computer programme that analyses ingredients and analysis of the products (as displayed on the labels)”. FTFY

Here in lies the problem with the AADF website, if a bad ingredient is not listed on the label then the computer program does not pick it up and the product does not get marked down.

A quick look at some of the 5 star products shows that many fall short of adding up to 100% when you look at their listed ingredients and typical analysis.

So what is missing that they are not listing?

Are more honest manufacturers being penalised by this computer analysis because they list all ingredients, including the ones deemed to be bad?

I guess that’s up to the dog owner to decide when they look at the site and then go away and compare products themselves. (I wouldn’t suggest “taking the website with a pinch of salt” as that will obviously reduce its rating! :) )

Also;

The review of the Eden product actually states that it does not suit all dogs and in fact, it causes more digestion problems than similar brands.

I do not think I would risk feeding my dogs a product that has been known to cause more digestion problems than other brands, even if it is 5 star rated by AADF.

We've used Wainwrights from Pets at Home for years. Not too expensive or full of rubbish and suits our dog better than anything else we tried. She's very fit and healthy with a lovely shiny coat.