Can anyone recommend best food mix for a puppy cockapoo

Getting a cockapoo shortly can anyone recommend a dried food there's a vast range to pick from thanks

CSJ are good:

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=14&idcategory=5

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=10&idcategory=4

My cocker was fed on CP27 as a puppy until about 6 months.

You can order online or buy from a local stockist:

http://www.csjk9.com/stockists/

Thankyou will look into this

Another vote for CSJ, have my dog on it and he has lovely soft fur. Moved him onto a really expensive food that is meant to be brilliant and it just didnt suit him, he lost a load of weight and his fur was awful so I am sticking with CSJ. The one I use is That'll Do :)

Raw food, closest to nature as you can get :thumbsup:

It's best to learn something about canine nutrition, especially as your dog is so young. There is lots of information here - well worth reading. You can use the Dog Food Directory on that website to source a suitable dog food but first decide if you want to feed dry, wet, cold pressed or raw food.

Look for products with:

The named meat source at the top of the list of ingredients. The more meat, the better.

The best source of carbohydrate is sweet potato or brown rice. Oats are also digestible. Steer clear of wheat, corn, maize.

Look for foods that have vegetables in the ingredient list.

Pups need circa 30% protein as they are growing so quickly. Some of the higher quality products do not have lifestage versions - this means that your puppy will not need to change food as it gets older.

Find a good, local pet supplies store with staff who have an interest in what they sell. They will have the best quality products. Supermarkets tend not to sell good quality dog food.

Don't forget to give pup a bit of variety - home cooked is great for a change but make sure that there are no onions or salt in it and that what you are giving is suitable for a dog.

we have similar query - see dog food minefield thread - and have been amazed to learn how low the quality of the "big brands" can be . . .

We are looking at trying Marcus Muhle from Zooplus, maybe Burns or Acana also

Raw food is the way to go. There's plenty of suppliers locally and in my opinion that best thing you can do for your dog.

If you look on Facebook there are plenty of support groups that can help you get things underway but weaning a pup on raw is very easy.

All you need is the will to read and learn, a spare drawer in your freezer and you will have a very happy dog. Meat, offal and bones, everything a growing puppy needs. Maybe a few raw treats thrown in as well.

---------- Post added 10-06-2016 at 21:24 ----------

If you decide to go down the kibble route,

Look here for help, reviews and advice: http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews

Avoid anything you can buy in a supermarket or pets at home. Certainly don't feed anything made by Purina, pedigree, iams, Royal canin etc.

Raw is also a good choice, it didnt suit my dog but my cats did well on it

@Frets - first of all, there isn't a best food for dogs because they are all different. What suits one might not suit another. Variety is good; for kibble fed dogs, pet nutrition blogger Rodney Habib recommends adding human food to your dog's diet.

Choosing a good dog food seems to be a minefield but it's simplified on the All About Dog Food Directory. Most products can be checked out. They also have a Facebook page and forum. From the latter there is a thread here that helps to explain how to choose a good dog food. When asking people for recommendations, also ask them why they feel it is a good dog food and in particular what it contains. If you take up the advice about CSJ, first read up the review of one of their products here. It pays dividends to learn a little bit about nutrition, especially for owners of puppies and to make your own decision having given some thought to it.

Someone mentioned Pets at Home. They sell sell some high quality food products. Their own brand, Wainwright's is a good one, particularly the grain free line which scores over 4 stars on AADF. Evolution is another of their own products and is very good. Wainwright's 'with rice' has a similar formula to James Wellbeloved but may be cheaper.

@skink - of those three choices, Burns tends to be high in cereal so if you use that maybe consider substituting protein and cooked vegetables to give a bit of balance. Acana scores well on AADF. Markus Muhle is cold pressed and is also a good choice. It is a quality product at an economical price. IMO that, and Black Angus are both real bargains. It is the same company that makes the UK Gentle and Guru brands. Contact Gentle if you want more info about MM. Cold pressed food retains more of the nutrients and is easily digested - link. Lukullus is another cold pressed product that is sold by Zooplus. My experience of cold pressed food is very positive. The one in use now is Guru Surf and Turf. It has a nice balance of meat, fish, carbohydrate and vegetables/fruit. Fat and protein levels are suitable for my pet dogs and (most importantly) it is not extruded at high temperatures.

You also asked about Landywoods who are raw food suppliers. I cannot comment on them but if they are DEFRA approved then they should be OK. Unless using raw complete, the owner needs to understand how to get the balance right. Freezer space is needed and the food taken out to thaw before serving. Scrupulous attention to hygiene is paramount. If it is kept in the refrigerator in a thawed state, place it at the bottom in a covered container. Some authorities say not to feed raw to dogs that live with children, elderly or immunosuppressed people. I don't know whether there is a risk but I come into two of those categories and as it is not necessary to feed raw I err on the side of caution. I did feed raw for a while but I saw no benefit to the dogs and in fact it actually didn't suit them or me for a number of reasons. As has been said, if you plan to feed your dog raw food then do some work on the subject. Join a Facebook group and read up about it on the Internet. If you decide to go with Landywoods then they should give you plenty of advice.

Edited by ccit

raw diet i personally dont think you can go wrong