Huge tree enchroaching on my back yard

Try getting someone with a log burning stove to chop it down, they may be happy to get some wood for the winter.

It's a huge tree bigger than a house!

I don't give a stuff about the branches. The tree is hanging right over my back yard & I want it dealt with.

So deal with it, you have the right to cut back overhanging branches.

Chopping it down would be criminal damage and theft.

I can't chop down. Although if I could I'd have no qualms about doing it in the middle of night, no bother at all.

---------- Post added 11-06-2016 at 11:16 ----------

So deal with it, you have the right to cut back overhanging branches.

I don't see why I should pay for it.

It's a huge tree bigger than a house!

Take a photo so we can see what you are talking about please :)

I don't see why I should pay for it.

Because that's the law.

Take a photo so we can see what you are talking about please :)

I will. Give me time.

---------- Post added 11-06-2016 at 11:37 ----------

Because that's the law.

The law is I have to stump up 2-300 quid every year?

No chance. I'll pay to cut the bugger down if that's the case & take my chances. Least I can use my outdoor space which I pay for.

Sorry, misunderstood this line

I skimmed over "via the council".

Seem unlikely to be correct of course, for reference see what is happening to tree's on the roadside all over the city, the council are certainly not applying for permission for each one (and from whom?).

You assume its unlikely - they've obviously planned(Sheffield council) and had everything approved and signed off, they don't usually just decide to lop a tree down(although Bradford have).

NEDDC - refused point blank to cut back the branches and refused acceptance of any branches or trimmings. They accepted that by law they couldn't stop my friend trimming the tree but they weren't making it easy.

As i've said before people make assumptions or interpret the law and then someone else ends up paying for it after following their guidance.

Have a word with some Amey workers, they seem to like chopping trees down. :hihi:

I will. Give me time.

---------- Post added 11-06-2016 at 11:37 ----------

The law is I have to stump up 2-300 quid every year?

No chance. I'll pay to cut the bugger down if that's the case & take my chances. Least I can use my outdoor space which I pay for.

No, you don't have to do anything.

But if you want to cut back the overhanging branches then it's up to you to do so.

---------- Post added 12-06-2016 at 10:00 ----------

You assume its unlikely - they've obviously planned(Sheffield council) and had everything approved and signed off, they don't usually just decide to lop a tree down(although Bradford have).

So you're saying that they have to get permission from whom then?

Theirs lots of contractors, some good some bad, word of mouth beats advertisers & flyer posters thru your letterbox,

But a simple quote to reduce the vegetation encroaching your area of concern would generally fall in the region 300£ (for an insured, qualified & experienced team adhereing to the latest BS standards with an excellent H&S ethic.)

I here commonly about folk who state "its not my tree" "the owner wont do anything" etc etc but when tenants 1st take up new residency they should envisage if their garden would ever need a budget for tree work but its always overlooked until years down the line when that nice small sycamore is now an 80ft behemoth with a 3ft diameter trunk?

No, you don't have to do anything.

But if you want to cut back the overhanging branches then it's up to you to do so.

---------- Post added 12-06-2016 at 10:00 ----------

So you're saying that they have to get permission from whom then?

Themselves i would assume - some worker for the council can't just decide to chop a tree down, it has to be evaluated,assessed and permission to do so granted by the relevant department.

To be fair who they have to get permission from is irrelevant to the op - they still don't have to agree to do it or accept the waste back from whoever chops it down.

Nobody ever suggested that a loan workman could chop a tree down without permission though, strawman.

---------- Post added 12-06-2016 at 14:31 ----------

IF he insists on having something done about it via the council they have to apply for permission - as the tree legally belongs to the "people".

So now you're saying that the council has to "apply for permission" from itself? And that this is a reason they'd be reluctant to do anything. :suspect: