Commuting to Manchester - any way cheaper than the train?

A mate of mine has got a new job in Manchester which starts in June. She intends to commute daily from Sheffield, but she's found out that an annual season ticket costs approx £2,500 (!).

Does any one know of any cheaper options to commute daily to Manchester?

Could try the national express bus service thing? Might be a bit unreliable though in the mornings with traffic etc!

Lift-share? There seems to be more and more people commuting over there - as its only 30-40 miles (approx!?) then petrol between 3-4 people must be cheaper.

As for finding a liftshare..then this is the place to do it, I guess!

A mate of mine has got a new job in Manchester which starts in June. She intends to commute daily from Sheffield, but she's found out that an annual season ticket costs approx £2,500 (!).

Does any one know of any cheaper options to commute daily to Manchester?

And add to that £8 a day for the station car park and that's why I have nightmares about how much money my husband is throwing their way....

And add to that £8 a day for the station car park and that's why I have nightmares about how much money my husband is throwing their way....

Rent a bed-sit in Manchester. It might not be quite so cheap, but she’ll not have the journey both ways as a extra headache and once she becomes accustomed to the place she’ll probably find she likes it. I did — and that’s 53 years ago.

Well if your mate doesn't get the season ticket its just over £4000. I'll be honest, I commute to Manchester by train a lot, my company pay for train and a large percentage of my travel time, its still rubbish! To guarantee that you get there before 9 you really need to get the 7.10 train and all the trains coming back are generally overcrowded. It really does begin to eat away at your sanity, especially over the winter.

Try national express...think you can still get the fun fares..check their website to make sure. The fares may only apply if you are buying online but you'd have to check, dont take my word for it!

Isnt her employer going to pay for her travel expenses?

If he drives to Dore station he can park for free. The only problem is that not all Mcr trains stop there.

If he drives to Dore station he can park for free. The only problem is that not all Mcr trains stop there.

Or Meadowhall, all the Mcr Airport trains stop there, and they don't make many stops.

Isnt her employer going to pay for her travel expenses?
That usually only happens if you are relocated. If you choose to take a new job, you factor in the travel time and costs before you accept. Or you move.

Lift-share? There seems to be more and more people commuting over there - as its only 30-40 miles (approx!?) then petrol between 3-4 people must be cheaper.

As for finding a liftshare..then this is the place to do it, I guess!

I tried sorting a car share to Leeds recently through the forum...no responses :(

There are a few websites which link up people wanting to car share. Just type "car share" into Google and loads of sites come up.

Surely just driving there is cheaper than train, even considering the price of petrol at the moment. Unless she has to pay for parking in Manchester all day?