Ironmongers/hardware store on Ditchingham St Burngreave

Hi all, can anyone remember an ironmongers or hardware shop on ditchingham St ? What was its name please ?

Kelly's directories do not show an ironmonger's or hardware shop as such in Ditchingham Street. They show only one shop of any kind; in directories of the the 1930s and 1940s No 2 Ditchingham Street is shown as "William Millns, shopkeeper". By 1950 "Mrs Clara Millns" is listed, in 1956 "E. Willetts" was there and in the 1960s/70s "R. Dobby" and "K. Clayton".

Kelly's directories do not show an ironmonger's or hardware shop as such in Ditchingham Street. They show only one shop of any kind; in directories of the the 1930s and 1940s No 2 Ditchingham Street is shown as "William Millns, shopkeeper". By 1950 "Mrs Clara Millns" is listed, in 1956 "E. Willetts" was there and in the 1960s/70s "R. Dobby" and "K. Clayton".

Thanks Mr.T. I was interested in that too, however No 2 Ditchingham Road was a store and on the opposite corner was a hardware store in the early '60s, that would have been at 68 Ellesmere Road.

I also looked at 68 Ellesmere Road in early directories. It is shown as "Alfred Longley, boot repairer", and by 1951 "Raymond Goldenburgh, boot repairer". But sure enough - by 1956 it was "Arthur Caudron, hardware dealer" and the 1959 directory shows "P. Grundy, hardware dealer". The 1925 directory confirms that No 2 Ditchingham Street was a grocer's. :)

I also looked at 68 Ellesmere Road in early directories. It is shown as "Alfred Longley, boot repairer", and by 1951 "Raymond Goldenburgh, boot repairer". But sure enough - by 1956 it was "Arthur Caudron, hardware dealer" and the 1959 directory shows "P. Grundy, hardware dealer". The 1925 directory confirms that No 2 Ditchingham Street was a grocer's. :)

Thank you Mr.H. 'Grundy's' was the name.

Thanks ever so Hillsboro, helpful as always.

Thanks ever so Hillsboro, helpful as always.

Thanks to Mr.H. I recall Mr. Gundy when 'pelmets' were all the rage around 1960-62 outside in the sun with his electric bow-saw. Perhaps then a late '20s man with blond hair.

...I recall Mr. Gundy .... around 1960-62 ... Perhaps then a late '20s man with blond hair.
Just looking at online public records, a possibility is Roy Grundy who was born in Sheffield in 1929, parents Charles & Ada Grundy. Married Mary Newton in Sheffield, 1951, evidently now living at Waterthorpe.

Peter Grundy ran the shop in the 60s.

That's right, hobinfoot - I somehow misread the initial. Could be Peter William Grundy, born Sheffield 1 August 1926, married Brenda Wiggett in Sheffield Apr-Jun 1950, moved to Stoke-on-Trent early 1980s, died Jan-Mar 2003.

I think he ran the hardware department at Atkinsons as well.

I think there was a Grundy at All Saints juniors in the late 50s. I can see a face but the first name escapes me.