My weightloss battle!

A year after doing my knee(s) in, pretty much eliminating me exercising and resulting in gaining a lot of weight, I would like to achieve some significant and permanent weight-loss. Previously I dieted for a while, the kilos flew off and then I'd fall back into old habits (The yoyo effect.)

I have recently discovered the joys of iMovie and filming and editing stuff and decided it would be fun and serve as extra motivation to document my efforts to lose weight

I aim to produce a couple of videos a week, just keeping track of my losses and update on my goals. I was going to keep these personal, limited to my Facebook friends, family and so on. But after speaking to lots of people about them I realised that by doing this I might encourage others to try and do the same.

It is a stumbling journey, I am rather ill-disciplined when it comes to food and drink, but I have started off OK and I am pretty determined to improve my lifestyle dramatically AND permanently in the coming years.

Basically this is an invitation for those of you who struggle with their weight to join me on my journey. I discuss the changes I made/make to my habits and aim to put recipes and things up as well. It is better to be on this journey together but I am not one for joining Weightwatchers! This is far more informal and casual.

Feel free to give me feedback (on the videos and quality etc.), motivation and so on, and if you want to, share your story here as well. As someone said - by me being so open about the need to lose weight they felt more confident talking about it as well.

Great idea, and one well executed so far. Good luck with the new regime I

am sure doing this vlog will help enormously.

As a viewer I would be happy enough with the vids. being half the length they are, but let's see what others say.

Weightwatchers (other fat clubs are available) have their use for some people

but they are primarily money making machines.

My own opinion is that any changes to lifestyle to help weight loss should be

permanent and therefore will avoid yo yo ing. If you are not happy to do something forever it is not going to work forever.

Hope my two penneth helps :-)

Tim, you've made a me cry.

What you're doing is fantastic. I've only watched the first one.

Can I suggest that you vote for Brexit, so that French wines and cheeses, and Dutch beers might be more expensive, and therefore less attractive? :hihi::hihi::hihi

Good luck to you in your battle.

Edited by Gormenghast

Well done nice Vblog, Hillsborough is great for walking and the park is a big plus I use the tennis courts now and then, like you, I have a few knackered joints,one knee and two hips, so running is out of the question.

I changed my eating habits in November last year lost over 25kg by February this year with dieting it's been a stable 76kg since, takes a bit more planning but has been worth it, much fitter and healthier now, I'm eating more now than I did, it's just a lot less Carp foods.

I take a rucksack wherever I go, it means I shop more frequently instead of buying in bulk it's only what I can physically carry when walking there and back, often it's a small 20 min x2 trek to Sainsburys , aldi and tesco at least once a week up the hill to Lidl for some protein rolls, I also now walk in to town and back, only takes 45mins from Hillsborough.

Good luck with the lifestyle change and the Vblogs

Good luck with it.

Good luck!

Embrace it as opposed to seeing it as a battle. Welcome it, befriend it and be flexible with it. You'll have to do some negotiation with your new friend (weightloss) but embrace it.

Avoid the word battle because our words become our actions.

I was wondering what had happened to this thread! - just to inform you kind people, I had to switch editing software and am now learning how to use the much more powerful kit, but a new vlog episode should be coming Wednesday (and perhaps I can still salvage the last one, which made me switch in the first place).

@Andrejuan - thanks for the tip, I sort of agree about the length, not in the least because of the editing time involved. I aim to have more shorter updates mixed in.

@Gormenghast - haha! Check my signature ;)

@steve68 - agreed! I got a tip to try and time my walks and to create small challenges, for example adding 10 lamp-posts in length to each walk. Works well!

@Cyclone - thanks buddy.

@futures red - Thanks for the tip, I agree on the word battle, but I like the sound of it. Once I have reached my target at the end of this calendar year I will change it. The battle will be won then! ;)

I was wondering what had happened to this thread! - just to inform you kind people, I had to switch editing software and am now learning how to use the much more powerful kit, but a new vlog episode should be coming Wednesday (and perhaps I can still salvage the last one, which made me switch in the first place).

@Andrejuan - thanks for the tip, I sort of agree about the length, not in the least because of the editing time involved. I aim to have more shorter updates mixed in.

@Gormenghast - haha! Check my signature ;)

@steve68 - agreed! I got a tip to try and time my walks and to create small challenges, for example adding 10 lamp-posts in length to each walk. Works well!

@Cyclone - thanks buddy.

@futures red - Thanks for the tip, I agree on the word battle, but I like the sound of it. Once I have reached my target at the end of this calendar year I will change it. The battle will be won then! ;)

Good luck, you sound determined to do it, make sure it's sustainable though, don't battle too long. And momentum is your friend!

My mind set is its a battle too, the enemy has been starchy carbs and sugar, my strategy tactics changes depending on circumstances and to keep the attack varied, I sometimes low carb, switch to Mediterranean or protein rich, higher fats etc.

The one thing I do try and keep in mind is that all carbs turn to 100% glucose when processed by the body, that said yesterday, I consumed a whopping 5,000 calories yesterday and gained 7lbs during the day mostly fluids, no doubt I will weigh the same or gain 2lbs from it it's no biggy.

Today will be a easier day as I no have no physically labour intensive work planned just a wee bit of exercise and watching the euros.

You may Lose a few battles but win your WAR.

My mind set is its a battle too, the enemy has been starchy carbs and sugar, my strategy tactics changes depending on circumstances and to keep the attack varied, I sometimes low carb, switch to Mediterranean or protein rich, higher fats etc.

The one thing I do try and keep in mind is that all carbs turn to 100% glucose when processed by the body, that said yesterday, I consumed a whopping 5,000 calories yesterday and gained 7lbs during the day mostly fluids, no doubt I will weigh the same or gain 2lbs from it it's no biggy.

Today will be a easier day as I no have no physically labour intensive work planned just a wee bit of exercise and watching the euros.

You may Lose a few battles but win your WAR.

I agree Steve, that is a good way of looking at it, war on carbs and sugar! In my case mainly alcohol and, like you said, starchy stuff. I cut out bread entirely and eat less pasta/potato at night than I used to, instead having bigger side-salads or more veg.

I had a BBQ last weekend and a wedding the night before, it halted my progress, but since I've lost another few pounds. It is the long term that matters.

I agree Steve, that is a good way of looking at it, war on carbs and sugar! In my case mainly alcohol and, like you said, starchy stuff. I cut out bread entirely and eat less pasta/potato at night than I used to, instead having bigger side-salads or more veg.

I had a BBQ last weekend and a wedding the night before, it halted my progress, but since I've lost another few pounds. It is the long term that matters.

Thankfully I rarely drink at all these days twice in the last 3yrs, if I do then it's a dry red.

I gave up chocolate, pasta, rice, potatoes and bread none of which I had a much of a hard time doing, I switched to konjac replacements and when I reached my weight goal in Jan/Feb I slackened and allowed myself these beauties http://nuutrii.com/article/lidl-protein-bread-rolls-review a protein bread roll, I slice one into 3 or 4 they've been a very good find as I did like my bread.

I now have very dark chocolate usually mixed in, Greek yogurt or double cream with fresh or frozen strawberries and berries is my go to dessert as long as the frozen haven't been frozen with sugar water.

I also blend a lot of green veg spinach and kale, kale in particular has massive vitamin, nutritional value a bit of a carb heavyweight of the green veg world but worth it's weight given its massive nutritional values.

I found its key to keep a close eye on food labels, I mostly look for carbs are less than 5g per 100g I do have a liking for somethings, crucials piri piri sauce is one which meets the criteria nicely.

You'll get there, I have no doubt.