Hillsborough shopping - turned the corner.

Usually the only time I have to see what has changed in Hillsborough is when I drive through. I sometimes walk down from Middlewood to the b&M or shopping precinct, but it is quite rare. Today though I walked from home to Maplin, straight through the whole lot and I have to say - Hillsborough has turned the corner. When we moved in pre-crash it was a nice enough shopping area, but since the crash it has been running down.

Today I passed quite a number of new shops though, from a French cafe on Middlewood Road to plenty of new estate agents (Welcome, dear indicators of an improving house-market in the area!), barbers, games-shop and so on. Costa seems to have got it right when they targeted the place as well.

I remember seeing around ten empty units just on the main-road, there definitely aren't anymore and it is good to see that!

golf bat place just opened on holme lane. also chemist for smack rats

golf bat place just opened on holme lane. also chemist for smack rats

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this when it popped up.

Funnily enough tzijlstra ,I went for my hair cut this morning and couldn`t help but feel the same as you.Having moved over here a couple of years back my feelings were how sad looking it was then.How dare it improve when I have not been looking

Funnily enough tzijlstra ,I went for my hair cut this morning and couldn`t help but feel the same as you.Having moved over here a couple of years back my feelings were how sad looking it was then.How dare it improve when I have not been looking

That is what I thought! It should remain impoverished until it got all our signatures.

Nah, can't compete with cosmopolitan South Road, Walkley, with our artisan bakery, inner city farm shop, vinyl record shop and craft beer outlet

How does <25> affect what kind of shops you need?

I still rarely find any reason to do more than pass through Hillsborough (which I do regularly).

On rare occasion it might be convenient to use the Boots and sometimes a haircut, but there's nothing else that I'd go to Hillsborough for.

Nah, can't compete with cosmopolitan South Road, Walkley, with our artisan bakery, inner city farm shop, vinyl record shop and craft beer outlet

I can't walk to Walkley, but I can walk to Hillsborough, for a quick whatever I want. The selection isn't great, but we do have some decent butchers, a fishmonger and hopefully, in the near future now that it has turned the corner, a few more classy stores I'd actually make the effort to go for.

Beeches should open a second store in Hillsborough, it will be a success. Maybe that is what needs to happen to the dilapidated electrical store.

Usually the only time I have to see what has changed in Hillsborough is when I drive through. I sometimes walk down from Middlewood to the b&M or shopping precinct, but it is quite rare. Today though I walked from home to Maplin, straight through the whole lot and I have to say - Hillsborough has turned the corner. When we moved in pre-crash it was a nice enough shopping area, but since the crash it has been running down.

Today I passed quite a number of new shops though, from a French cafe on Middlewood Road to plenty of new estate agents (Welcome, dear indicators of an improving house-market in the area!), barbers, games-shop and so on. Costa seems to have got it right when they targeted the place as well.

I remember seeing around ten empty units just on the main-road, there definitely aren't anymore and it is good to see that!

What always makes me wonder is why independent coffee shops are ignored by customers, but they'll flock to more expensive identikit chains. I'm not sure what the indicators of a good housing market are any more. With prices at insane levels and sellers operating 'dutch auctions' by stealth, I'm surprised the market operates at all.

......I would say Hillsborough is a far better shopping area than South Rd, but not as good as Crookes, and I use all three from time to time.

I can't walk to Walkley, but I can walk to Hillsborough, for a quick whatever I want. The selection isn't great, but we do have some decent butchers, a fishmonger and hopefully, in the near future now that it has turned the corner, a few more classy stores I'd actually make the effort to go for.

Beeches should open a second store in Hillsborough, it will be a success. Maybe that is what needs to happen to the dilapidated electrical store.

I think the fishmonger has sadly gone now.