Can anybody recommend a good weedkiller

Hi all,

I'm an amateur gardener trying to turn a bombsite garden into something a bit acceptable!

I've managed to getrid of all the nettles but there's some very persistent weeds that keep coming back. I've been told they're some sort of balsam plant. Every time I pull them out the roots just snap (a bit like dandelions) and they're back again a few days later.

I've been quite resistant to using weedkiller as I have pets (dog and cats) and obviously don't want any harm to come to them.

Does anyone know of something I can use that will do the job of killing the weeds without poisoning the soil and grass?

If you're reluctant to use weedkiller, I would suggest old carpet laying down over an area for a few months to block out light and kill off the weeds. It will take longer of course, but you can then work on one smaller area at a time so you're not overwhelmed.

For weedkiller, I'd join your local allotment group. You don't have to have an allotment for most memberships, but you can access Gyphosate for far better prices.

(I'm assuming the UK can still get Gyphosate)

I've managed to getrid of all the nettles but there's some very persistent weeds that keep coming back. I've been told they're some sort of balsam plant. Every time I pull them out the roots just snap (a bit like dandelions) and they're back again a few days later.

Himalayan Balsam? That's a real pest, but an annual. Annuals never grow back from roots. Either it's growing back from seed or it's been misidentified. Can you post pictures here, or look up Himalayan Balsam online and confirm that you're sure it's the same plant? It's important to know what weeds you have to deal with them the right way. You should look up pictures of Japanese Knotweed just in case you actually have that.

If it's Himalayan Balsam coming back from seed, the best way to deal with that is by pulling out any large plants then repeatedly mowing the grass. Many weeds hate being cut, and it's actually pretty good for grass.

If you're reluctant to use weedkiller, I would suggest old carpet laying down over an area for a few months to block out light and kill off the weeds. It will take longer of course, but you can then work on one smaller area at a time so you're not overwhelmed.

For weedkiller, I'd join your local allotment group. You don't have to have an allotment for most memberships, but you can access Gyphosate for far better prices.

(I'm assuming the UK can still get Gyphosate)

You can still get it.

sweetie - read the labels. Most weedkillers are fine for cats and dogs once they have dried. Its only a problem if you have grazing animals.

You can get weedkillers that are 'neutralised' on contact with the soil or path clear type ones which will keep seeds from germinating for a year so you can't grow anything for a year after the soil has been treated.

Thank you all for your replies.

It's definitely Himalayan Balsam - I've checked out pictures. I think I might go down the weedkiller route as I want it gone. Apparently it's very prolific and just takes over the garden.

Search on eBay for glyphosate 360 5l and get the cheapest 5l tub around £24 I think it's the same stuff as roundup well it has the same glyphosate content anyway which is important part of any of the weeds you are spraying have waxy leaves just add some washing up liquid. It won't be any harm to pets once dry and doesn't stay in soil

Thank you all for your replies.

It's definitely Himalayan Balsam - I've checked out pictures. I think I might go down the weedkiller route as I want it gone. Apparently it's very prolific and just takes over the garden.

You don't need weedkiller for himalayan balsam; what you do need to do is:

- pick the plant up near the base, so you don't break the stem but pull out the root in full. It's very easy, as it is very shallow-rooted.

- do a complete sweep of the garden, pulling every single one.

- make sure you do this mid-summer, when the plants are grown enough to be easy to pull but before they've flowered and seeded.

- you might have to do this again for the next year or two, but it is easy

The reason I'm recommending this is that you don't get any side-effects on the soil or on the other plants (like you do with weedkillers) - and compared to weeding most plants it really is very easy. By comparison with dandelions, say, it's a doddle.

Try Rosate36, you can get quite a bit out of one bottle. Try ebay for it

Epsom salts and white vinegar and a small amount of soap liquid kills all organicly

Gallup360 should sort it out..........

Epsom salts and white vinegar and a small amount of soap liquid kills all organicly

Can you give specific amounts as I would like to try this.

I can't help but feel worried when people are recommending professional level Gyphosate products to people with no training to use such products. There's a world of difference between what you buy in wilkos and gallup360/rosate36 etc.