Ball public house, Ecclesfield village

Which is healthier: a pub or a supermarket?

People become alcoholics and obese. Both major problems for the NHS.

As for benefits to the community ...... you tell me.

You need to get a life my friend.closing pubs is killing communities. And for your information there is bigger problems in this country that is draining the NHS. Same old chesnut blame smokers,drinkers and cars these are the biggest earners for the government

Gentrification strikes again! They'll be having farmers markets on the village green next.

Oh I do hope so!

Sorry Anna, the village green disappeared many many years ago. It now belongs to a local haulage contractor, who parks all his lorries on there. However he does the maintain the parking area very well indeed. Ecclesfield is still classed as a village by the locals, especially those born and bred here. It has all the clubs and organisations expected from village life. I am interested about the future of The Ball Inn, as the area is a conservation 2 site. We shall just have to wait and see.

Let's get one thing straight, there is no such thing as a bad pub, but there is a thing of a bad managed pub.

It's a tricky situation when running a pub as a tennant as you are torn between paying extortionate rent and beer prices to sell on to the consumer.

If you have the money behind you to take the loss in trying to make the pub good, by this I mean taking a stance on the crap that is inherited then you have a chance, if however you go in blind thinking you can do this without the security of money to out way sorting the problems then you find yourself in a difficult situation balancing the books.

It can be a soul destroying job to a potential tenant who wants to make a living working long hours for less than the minimum wage. The blame relies on the local gangster who makes a venue intimidating to normal people who want to go for a drink and enjoy a night out

This is when pubs get sold off and often become office developments or supermarkets. It ashame because every tenant, landlord or whatever you want to call it, do their very best to try and keep a pub as it as, as a pub.

To anyone out there who has tried to run a pub but failed, you have my full respect for trying. It is not an easy job, and I know the hours put in returns very little and far under the minimum wage.

as for my initial comment about a bad managed pub it is easier said than done, it needs structure and determination and of course support from the company and the customers, so if someone who has failed reading this apologies because I know you haven't had the support you needed in terms of rent and support.

Which is healthier: a pub or a supermarket?

People become alcoholics and obese. Both major problems for the NHS.

As for benefits to the community ...... you tell me.

Local Co-op are selling 4 cans of Stella for £4. A pint of Stella in local pubs is over £3.

Go figure.

The Ball used to be my local pub. When it reopened about three years ago, the landlord and landlady (in my opinion) did a fantastic job. Good beer, events, very good to the customers, clean and tidy - always willing to try new things and were held in high regard by the steadily growing customer base. They also put a lot of their own cash into it to get it going

But the owners ever increased the rent and conditions as it got more successful and then wanted them to sign a five year contract. They were forced out as it was just too much for very little in the end and new tenants were put in. Things were never same and just a few weeks later it shut.

There is a lot of land with the pub and I have also heard that it is to be a Tesco with the land behind forming a link road to Monteney Road.

I and my wife used to go in,also Nigel did at the same only wanted four more and you would stood up that's when the Smithes had it used to be a good pint then they wanted them out or pay a lot of money to do it up which was well over their head, so next thing they sent crap beer.

I used to work at The Ball back in the mid 80's when Dick and Diff ran it, great pub back then, in fact the whole area was like a mini 'town' with all the pubs, people used to start off in The Ball, make their way down into the square, then back to The Ball for last orders. I used to have longer hair, was skinny and wore glasses, so the regulars nicknamed me 'Lofty', which seems to still sick with me to this day even though i no longer have much hair, certainly not skinny and don't wear glasses...:hihi::hihi:

I used to work at The Ball back in the mid 80's when Dick and Diff ran it, great pub back then, in fact the whole area was like a mini 'town' with all the pubs, people used to start off in The Ball, make their way down into the square, then back to The Ball for last orders. I used to have longer hair, was skinny and wore glasses, so the regulars nicknamed me 'Lofty', which seems to still sick with me to this day even though i no longer have much hair, certainly not skinny and don't wear glasses...:hihi::hihi:

Remember doing the relief there for a couple of weeks Richard ??? Good times

Remember doing the relief there for a couple of weeks Richard ??? Good times

I do Andy, was a good time, we ought to do a reunion, Th Bass Inns and Taverns Brigade, could meet in your place, Park Hotel...lol

I do Andy, was a good time, we ought to do a reunion, Th Bass Inns and Taverns Brigade, could meet in your place, Park Hotel...lol

Why not ....do you have any photos from then ??