52 bus diverted away from Crookes

Getting on a 52a First bus by the City Hall this afternoon, I asked for Crookes & the driver told me he wasn't going to Crookes but was diverting along South Road to Walkley due to an accident.

I asked about the 51 & he said that was diverting too.

I walked up to Crookes & there was no sign of any accident.

Was I told a load of rubbish?

Believe accident was at University roadworks (aka complete pain in derriere). Came to city centre from Crookes on 52 which diverted at Broomhill to Glossop Road and rejoined normal route at West Street.

Maybe the accident was after the uni roundabout but before Broomhill or Crookes?

Just happened again tonight.    Had to get taxi.   Driver unable/ unwilling to say anything except "there's a diversion on"!    Unacceptable!    Should be service to Broomhill at least!    BRING BACK A PROPER CROOKES SERVICE,  not a maybe we will/ maybe we won't  en route elsewhere.   😠

5 hours ago, kaytie said:

Just happened again tonight.    Had to get taxi.   Driver unable/ unwilling to say anything except "there's a diversion on"!    Unacceptable!    Should be service to Broomhill at least!    BRING BACK A PROPER CROOKES SERVICE,  not a maybe we will/ maybe we won't  en route elsewhere.   😠

If there’s a problem on the route somewhere what do you expect them to do? I doubt First give their bus drivers a detailed explanation, they just let their drivers know there’s a diversion and which route to use. It certainly isn’t the drivers fault - he’s just following instructions.  

Honestly, it’s hardly the end of the world! At least you were forewarned and not dumped halfway from home. Some people!

8 hours ago, kaytie said:

Last night I believe there was a road closure somewhere around Northfield Road which led to the diversion. I had seen quite a few twitter posts from Travel South Yorkshire warning about it, think it was only planned for around 3 hours. 

copied and pasted, as advertised at https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/disruptions.aspx

info also on Twitter https://twitter.com/FirstSouthYorks/status/1156847240977289217

Affected Services: 52 52a

Northfield Road will be closed between the junctions of Northfield Close and Eastfield Road for utility work on Thursday 1 August.

Services to operate as follows:

1. Service 52 towards Hillsborough and service 52a towards Wisewood to operate as normal to Upper Hanover Street, University Square, Bolsover Street, Winter Street, Crookes Valley Road, Barber Road, Howard Road and South Road before resuming normal route on Walkley Road. (Service 52 towards Walkley to use Forbes Road and Ripley Street to turn round).
  1. Service 52 towards Woodhouse and service 52a towards Woodhouse Station to operate as normal to Walkley Road at the junction of South Road then divert via South Road, Howard Road, Barber Road, Crookes Valley Road, Winter Street, Bolsover Street, University Square, Brook Hill, Broad Lane and Mappin Street before resuming normal route on West Street.
Edited by Andy C

Thank you for the information.    Annoying that, although I am signed up for online update about transport disruption on 52 route, I receivesd nothing to warn about this.  I long for the days when  52 was the CROOKES bus and only the Crookes bus.   Back then a service would have been provided possibly as far as Lydgate Lane .   (I used to work for SYPTE!)

Have just driven through Crookes down to Walkley. Road is open and I definitely saw a bus coming the other way......

The closure was only 20:00 to 22:30 on August 1st. It was posted at all the relevant bus stops and online.

Saw nothing on my bus stop.    Plus,  it was longer than 22.30 as it was 22.45 when in city centre the driver advised he was not serving Crookes.