Possible bus driver fraud

I think its hard to know who to support. Ok - the average bus driver is not the finest of customer service representatives, and thieving is wrong, and the money the bus company loses will be retrieved in other ways, but personally I dont give a stuff if these money grabbing rip off merchant bus companies are made a little poorer by these antics. We the public are a whole load poorer since all the price hikes that we just have to keep accepting.

On the whole I think most bus drivers are very much more pleasant than they were shortly after de-regulation and losing their assistant conductors etc, so I wish them all the best.

However a few rotten apples spoil the barrel for everyone. Each driver creaming off a (mere?) tenner a day is bringing forward the NEXT price hike for the customers, not really hurting the company at all.

this happened to me just the other week on the 51 bus route, i paid £3.50 for a day saver (daylight robbery, thats another thread) and when i got into town i checked to see if i hadnt lost it. had a look and it was a 40p pensioners fare!!!!!!!!! god i dont look that old!!!!!!!!!!! so i went to the transport place and he directed me to the staff canteen at pond street where i spoke to a very nice conductor who told me to report it to the sypte which i did, sending the ticket and a short note about what had happened like i said earlier it was a few weeks ago and i STILL HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING.:mad::rant::sad:

I am shocked at this. This never even occured to me. Not that i use busses but this sort of thing would have never crossed my mind.

It so sad. You just can't get the trust now a days. This then spoils it for others.

Yep had the 40p ticket instead of the day saver on the 52 route.. phoned first to let them know and the cheeky ***** sent a nasty letter saying that there was a 35 quid fine for having an incorrect ticket, and that it was the customers job to check for descrepencies.. :rant:

It's simple. Check your ticket and challenge the driver. Otherwise report him immediatly to his employers.

Dont accept that they are underpaid, no one has the right the thieve.

Dont accept that they are underpaid, no one has the right the thieve.

They aren't underpaid, they get paid more than a lot of people! If they don't like it they should get another job with a better wage, and if they can't then it's their own fault!

They aren't underpaid, they get paid more than a lot of people! If they don't like it they should get another job with a better wage, and if they can't then it's their own fault!

Very well said CN :thumbsup:

With respect to fellow Forum members I believe this thread has been blown up out of all proportion I do not for one minute condone fiddling by bus drivers.

But members should be most fully aware that most buses now on the Sheffield fleet have onboard cameras trained on the customer and the driver and can pick out even which key on the ticket machine has been pressed and associated actions also any unusual activity odd fares etc are flagged by the system and of course the roving inspectors are around and about.

The best way of things therefore are to just check your ticket upon purchase it is YOUR responsibility to do this just as its YOUR responsibility to make sure that your Season.Weekly etc is in date and not the driver the excuse to an inspector when a ticket is found to be out of date and the Standard fare of £35.00 is requested that the 'Driver should have checked it' will not be accepted.

when it happened to me i just didnt think to look at the ticket it was the last thing on my mind as i'd just lost my dad and you just dont think sometimes. but now i look at every ticket i get issued they wont be doing that to me again.

Too right I'll be checking everyone from now on.. my mistake was giving the driver the benifit of the doubt that he was trained enough to do his job properly..

A similar thing happened to me a while ago...

I got on the bus in town, going to hunter's bar. It must have been ages ago 'cos it was only 80p back then

I said "hunter's bar, please" to the driver, and gave him a pound coin. I then waited for my change.... and waited... he looked me in the eyes and said "you said a pound"

I'm still angry with myself to this day that I didn't answer back... he just stole from under my nose!!

I know now to be more assertive, and always cheque my ticket!

another time, I must have been about 17, I forgot my student bus pass, and he said he'd let me off, which was nice, but still felt the need to comment:

"I've seen you do this before - I recognise you 'cos of your hair"

Hmm.... funny, I'd only put the pink hair extensions in the day before....

Most bus drivers are honest and would not risk their job by fiddling. Its just not worth it.

However, in any job where money handling is involved, eg shops, bars etc. there will be dishonest people.