Possible bus driver fraud

when i was on the buses it was frowned on by management to hand in cancelled tickets. the main source being passengers that say one thing but want something else, after ticket issued. if they come back after another ticket issued that couldnt cancel anyway. these could either be handed in with an essay on about problem, which could look dodgy as any ticket found could so be treated, or resold to another passenger, ideally next in queue that might have some knowledge of conversation with first passenger. failing that but trying not to embaress any one one point out the original passenger to new passenger, or save it for a passenger i knew, ie one that wouldnt think i was fiddling, explaining situation to them.

considering how may times it was the passengers fault, and in shops it says check your change/receipt as errors cant be corrected afterwards, i always made sure that anyone that needed a through or return ticket had the problem resolved.

i never fiddled in ten years, but my float repeatedly disappeared into the cash bag at paying time to correct mistakes. or else taken from my wages, something i cant see many other shop /or till users putting up with.

attitude from management was if you were up, you were wrong and they kept it and if down you were wrong, they recovered it from you.

i repeatedly challanged them on the right to keep the 'overs' paid in, were did it go other than a further fiddle for the counting staff. many drivers counted their money to make sure it was exact - either way. c'mon whats the percentage error of a few pence in several hundred pounds 0.0x% ? times 5 or 6 days a week, we're not machines, to err is human.

personally preferred prepaid tickets no fumbling with filthy change, less to carry round all day with the responsibility of it too. quicker boarding times better journey times. worth noting the old syt cheap fares could have been eventually dropped altogether. it cost more to collect that what it generated, would have saved all these hassles and got more people onto public transport. could have worked, is doing now for pensioners.

Maybe one way to stop the fraud would be to use the system the Nottingham buses use. You put the correct amount of money into a machine and it gives you the correct ticket. The only down side is if you don't have the correct money it can end up costing you more than it should. i.e. if you only have £1 and your journey costs 95p you don't get the change back.

A lot of it will be cut out anyway in time to come if the SYPTE Yorcard scheme is sucessful. You'll see more of this in the coming months.

Maybe one way to stop the fraud would be to use the system the Nottingham buses use. You put the correct amount of money into a machine and it gives you the correct ticket. The only down side is if you don't have the correct money it can end up costing you more than it should. i.e. if you only have £1 and your journey costs 95p you don't get the change back.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but I;m sure I've got a hazy memory of this being tried here years back.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but I;m sure I've got a hazy memory of this being tried here years back.

Yes, your memory is spot on, somewhen around the late 70's early 80's. If you put a load of bits in to get the correct fare, you would end up with a mega length receipt.:hihi:

It also "photographed" the coins as well.

Sounds a bit like the videmat system, but that ran alongside the driver taking fares.

Are details of the bus and driver not printed along with the time on the ticket? :huh:

Are details of the bus and driver not printed along with the time on the ticket? :huh:

Yes they are,all the info the passenger needs to make a complaint are on the ticket.

These details can then be verified by a printout from the drivers wayfarer module.

yes these guys are ripping u off

I know of at least 15 bus drivers who practice the occult, and with kids mind. Be wary of all bus drivers, they are evil.:help:

Dont forget these people who earn 9 quid an hour are saints according to some sheffield forum users.

I still say they're miserbale, balding, arrogant twits!

Would totaly agree Matty,on monday my daughter and i caught the 52 stagecoach from woodhouse village the driver drove like a maniac and when someone pressed the bell he totaly missed there stop,then we had just turned the corner at the bottom of furnace lane and was going up retford road there was an oldish woman running for the bus and the driver drove straight past she wasn't miles away from the bus stop and the driver knew she was running for the bus just thought it was pretty awful and the weather was bad too,i commented to the driver when i got off and all he said was "so what" i called him an ignorant t**t and got off just makes you angry

Dont forget these people who earn 9 quid an hour are saints according to some sheffield forum users.

I still say they're miserbale, balding, arrogant twits!

Hair loss is suddenly a crime?? Damn, now you tell me!!! As for being Miserbale, I thought he was one of King Arthur's knights of the Round Table!