Shalesmoor roundabout

And if they got into the right hand lane somewhere up on Netherthorpe Rd we'd be complaining about them misusing the overtaking lane.

It depends on traffic levels, but generally if I intend to turn right I get into the right hand lane somewhere just above the traffic lights near the Shell station, so that I don't risk getting blocked in by a build up of traffic if the lights change.

It depends on traffic levels, but generally if I intend to turn right I get into the right hand lane somewhere just above the traffic lights near the Shell station, so that I don't risk getting blocked in by a build up of traffic if the lights change.

I'd do the same, although I rarely turn right down there.

Driving standards have gone down the pan.

I seldom see safe driving on a roundabout.

The simple rule, which is unknown by a majority of drivers is, the lane you enter is the lane you leave. Hence, through ignorance, drivers exit as if taking the apex of a bend. This is reckless and dangerous to others as they are in effect swerving into your pathway.

Then again some roundabouts have the white lanes ending, like an inserted break. This means it is safe to change laneson a roundabout. Furthermore, some are contradictions. For example, left hand lane for left only OR for left and straight on. Centre only for straight on, or left also, or right also.

Some have a right hand lane with no exit markings. That makes it inherently dangerous.

However, the overwhelming problem are the high proportion of ignorant drivers who drive unknowingly into and out of roundabouts, putting other drivers in danger.

The best practice is to anticipate this and keep a safe distance.

That's not a rule unless you are going straight on, in the case of a dual carriageway road. It can't be applied safely to most roundabouts and it is in fact contradicted by the actual rule 185 of the highway code. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

It's perfectly good practice, and even mandatory, particularly on multi-lane roundabouts to change lanes as you go round, to obey the road markings and direction signs.

That's not a rule unless you are going straight on, in the case of a dual carriageway road. It can't be applied safely to most roundabouts and it is in fact contradicted by the actual rule 185 of the highway code. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

It's perfectly good practice, and even mandatory, particularly on multi-lane roundabouts to change lanes as you go round, to obey the road markings and direction signs.

Yes, but a lot of roundabouts are marked such that you can stay in the same lane all the way round. I think this applies to the one at Shalesmoor, also the one at the bottom of ecclesall road and maybe also park square, but not IIRC the university roundabout.

Edit. I recall that it was mentioned on a thread several months ago, where the roundabout markings that let you stay in the same lane had a specific name. It caught my eye at the time because although I knew of the idea, I didn't realise it had its own specific name. And now I can't remember what it was.

Edited by Eater Sundae