Shalesmoor roundabout

Maybe he has come down Rutland Road where you can only turn left, and wanting to do a 180 turn to go in the opposite direction. He would be better off turning right at the traffic lights just before and getting onto Penistone Rd that way.

The "roundabout" isnt confusing in the slightest, anyway.

I read it as meaning he was driving towards town on Penistone Road, and wanted to go through 180 degrees to go back on the same road. But maybe not.

I think he meant to go up Netherthorpe Rd towards Hanover Way from Penistone Rd, he's just confused about exactly where Hanover Way is and thinks that Netherthorpe is Hanover, and then other drivers are doing the 180 back out onto Penistone Rd, but using the wrong (ie left) lane.

Can't say that I've ever seen anyone do that myself and I go that way into town fairly often.

I think he meant to go up Netherthorpe Rd towards Hanover Way from Penistone Rd, he's just confused about exactly where Hanover Way is and thinks that Netherthorpe is Hanover, and then other drivers are doing the 180 back out onto Penistone Rd, but using the wrong (ie left) lane.

Can't say that I've ever seen anyone do that myself and I go that way into town fairly often.

Yes you're right, I think. It was the other driver doing a 180 deg turn from the wrong lane. I was concentrating on the 180 bit, and lost track of who was doing it.

This ^^^^^^^

The markings can be clearly seen on the aerial photo view on Google Maps.

I'll look out for those the next time I'm flying over that roundabout.

You'd have to be mad to attempt a 180 back to Penistone Rd in the left hand lane there! Can't say I've ever come across it but I suppose anything is possible... don't think the markings are the problem though - I've never come across a roundabout where you would be able to do that in the left!

It would be an absurd manoeuvre, especially given 99.99% of cars go straight on up the hill so both lanes are dedicated to this flow of traffic. If you want to turn right, get in the right hand lane. The markings are not confusing in the slightest and the car drivers described in the OP have had a mare here.

You'd have to be mad to attempt a 180 back to Penistone Rd in the left hand lane there! Can't say I've ever come across it but I suppose anything is possible... don't think the markings are the problem though - I've never come across a roundabout where you would be able to do that in the left!

One thing I see quite often is the other way (down Hoyle St) people in the left of the 2 lanes, squeezing across to get onto Shalesmoor.

One thing I see quite often is the other way (down Hoyle St) people in the left of the 2 lanes, squeezing across to get onto Shalesmoor.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Coming down Hoyle Street to the roundabout, the carriageway is 3 lanes wide, not 2. The left hand lane is for turning left onto Penistone Road. The right hand lane is for people turning left into (the right hand lane of) Penistone Road OR to continue around the roundabout in the left hand lane towards Shalesmoor. The right hand lane of the 3 lanes goes into the right hand lane of the roundabout to the right hand lane of Shalesmoor (with an option of turning through 180 degrees and back up Hoyle Street).

In fact, the lane markings and route options when approaching from Penistone Road are basically similar to those when approaching from Hoyle Street. Basically, the middle of the 3 lanes can be used to go either left or right. The main difference between the two approaches is that in the case of the Penistone Road approach, the middle lane splits around an island to allow separate light controls before you enter the roundabout, whereas in the case of the Hoyle street approach the lights and split it are further within the roundabout.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Coming down Hoyle Street to the roundabout, the carriageway is 3 lanes wide, not 2.

It's 2. Until you cross the tramlines (as far as I can recall now), where it's splits into 3 just before the Shalesmoor r'bt.

In fact, the lane markings and route options when approaching from Penistone Road are basically similar to those when approaching from Hoyle Street. Basically, the middle of the 3 lanes can be used to go either left or right. The main difference between the two approaches is that in the case of the Penistone Road approach, the middle lane splits around an island to allow separate light controls before you enter the roundabout, whereas in the case of the Hoyle street approach the lights and split it are further within the roundabout.

There are near the end, but coming down Penistone Road is 3 lanes for a long while before, coming down Hoyle Street isn't. The end point is the same as you say but they aren't similar otherwise.

Driving standards have gone down the pan.

I seldom see safe driving on a roundabout.

The simple rule, which is unknown by a majority of drivers is, the lane you enter is the lane you leave. Hence, through ignorance, drivers exit as if taking the apex of a bend. This is reckless and dangerous to others as they are in effect swerving into your pathway.

Then again some roundabouts have the white lanes ending, like an inserted break. This means it is safe to change laneson a roundabout. Furthermore, some are contradictions. For example, left hand lane for left only OR for left and straight on. Centre only for straight on, or left also, or right also.

Some have a right hand lane with no exit markings. That makes it inherently dangerous.

However, the overwhelming problem are the high proportion of ignorant drivers who drive unknowingly into and out of roundabouts, putting other drivers in danger.

The best practice is to anticipate this and keep a safe distance.

It's 2. Until you cross the tramlines (as far as I can recall now), where it's splits into 3 just before the Shalesmoor r'bt.

There are near the end, but coming down Penistone Road is 3 lanes for a long while before, coming down Hoyle Street isn't. The end point is the same as you say but they aren't similar otherwise.

Ah, right, I see what you mean. Yes, the left hand lane of the two lanes is for left towards Penistone Road only.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 23:35 ----------

Ah, right, I see what you mean. Yes, the left hand lane of the two lanes is for left towards Penistone Road only.

But I suppose if they arrive at the part where the left hand lane is marked as for left turning only, then they can change lanes to the one they need, provided they do it safely

But I suppose if they arrive at the part where the left hand lane is marked as for left turning only, then they can change lanes to the one they need, provided they do it safely

And if they got into the right hand lane somewhere up on Netherthorpe Rd we'd be complaining about them misusing the overtaking lane.