Bachelors Foods

HI Jean1. Probaby the only time we could have met, would have been on the bus from from Leppings Lane. With working on computers we were discouraged from going onto other floors; in fact, I was onced reported for being seen on the 2nd. floor!. Stupid, 'cos we all got together at lunch times and Xmas parties. My boss at the time was Percy Wolstenhome, I would think that you knew him,believe he worked on ledgers, before he came Operations manager. A very strict disciplinarian. Bye.

HI JEAN1. With girls with Long black hair and Mini skirts knocking about, I can see now why they kept us caged up in the basement. Iv'e always thought it was because of the official secrets act.!

My boss was John Guy, we first worked in the bottom block, then they built a new block up the hll, I also used to work in the salaries dept every month end to balance the payroll. I've recently been working with a girl who you probably know , Margaret Muscroft( married name) had one son Paul. She says she used to work in the computer room about the same time I worked there. Other names I worked with were Paul cook, Derek Knight, Philip Hasland, Dorothy Staniland, do you remember Pam who worked in stationery?

sorry Margaret's husand is Paul, her son's name in Neil

HI JEAN1 I worked at Batchelors from '65 to '79. First in and one of the last out. As I left,they were tallking about relocating to Croydon. So I wonder when Margaret Muscroft worked in the computer room. and yet the name seems familiar. Hold on, Bingo. There was a young lady called Margaret who worked in the evenings who I had a lot of respect for. She was very good at her job, which I remember was on a punch card sorting machine.. This machine was located right outside the computer room door,so we talked a lot. So she can identify me, I was Assistant Operations manager under Percy Wolstenholme. Ginger hair,45 at this time,with 3 sons. Hope its her,cos I thinks shes the tops. As for the other names,Im sorry Icant recall. But no doubt knew their faces,as I remember the top office block being built. BYE.

JEAN1..Sorry for the p.s. Can u get a date for when Pam worked in stationery please. Ive got an amazing story concerning computer labels.Bye,

HI JEAN1 I worked at Batchelors from '65 to '79. First in and one of the last out.

It was definitely still open sometime after 1985 as I can remember my dad getting a long service award there that year. It must've closed in about '86 or '87 - I did the photographs for the auctioneers catalogue when they were finally stripping out the site.

Have you seen this photograph of the factory in 1960 before the new offices were built?

Thanks Jozafeen. Only just got time to acknowledge your message. got to run. Just had phone call from Margarets Care Home, got to bring her home immmediately.Health and safety have closed it down . Speak to asap. Thanks John.

HI Jozafeen. Can resume contact now. Got your photo GREAT. I've gone over my memories there dozens of times since leaving through illness.Regarding photos, I saw in the Property Guide a few years ago, a photo of the H.Q up for sale. I thought now's my chance to have a look round , so did so. Very, very glad I chanced on the sale notice. I never thought I,d see the place again . The last time I had seen it was when the works doctor took me to the window and said ' You see Clay Wheels Lane you,ve just walked up. Well, walk back down it and don't turn round. You will get better but not by coming back here. Best advice I ever had. Bye.

Hi john

I bet it made your day when i started this thread.

I worked next door to the new offices as you called them which are not on the airiel veiw.

This was 1997. One Dinner break me and my mate went for a wonder through the grounds and the smashed up office block.I remember the big front curved glass windows facing claywheels lane. every day we comented on what had happened to the building. One day all the window frames were ripped out.

Was there a canteen on the ground floor of the new building?

Never new it was batchelors at the time.

Cherry t. You couldnt have known when you started this thread that there was a guy out there, like me, aching to talk to somebody about Batchelors. I left suddenly, so this is providing me with some continuity and it's wonderful. I'm dying to know EXACTLY where you worked. When you mean 'NEW building, do you mean the office block on the left, top of the road,above the factory and before the hairpin bend,built mid 70's.There was a Staff dining room on the ground floor.Are'nt we getting posh now!.

Yes John

Before the hairpin on the left, must have been the dining room as there were tiles on the walls and floor.The gardens were behind the building.