Bachelors Foods

Where i worked was next to the new office building directly going down hill.This must have been bachelors too then

I will try and get my aunt on here..her name is Joan Holmes and she worked at Batchelors in the 60's and 70's she will have lots of memories, she worked in the staff canteen on the night shift..other names I remember who worked there with her were Lily Cusworth, Gwen Spotswood, sorry cant remember anymore she will know loads

Cherry blossom. Still wondering where you worked. Was it on that trading estate(Nutbrown or similar name).What impresses me with your posts is your interest in what was there before.,keep it coming. John.

Thanks Shaznay. I reckon I knew faces rather than names, as I did use the canteens,dining room rather a lot. Cheers. John.

Can anyone remember Bill Barnet.He was a gaffer of some sort way back in the 50s.

Yes John

Before the hairpin on the left, must have been the dining room as there were tiles on the walls and floor.The gardens were behind the building.

That whole site was Batchelors until the mid 1980s with both the national head office and one of the main manufacturing plants.

As for feeding the employees, it was all very divided according to job. The 'new' block (that's the one missing from the 1960 photo I liked to earlier) had the staff canteen on the ground floor and director's suites and restaurant on the top - I worked in both of those as a summer job and really enjoyed it. The 1930's big brick building had the workers canteen in it and the office block on the opposite side had the Experimental Kitchens where unsuspecting members of the public and other employees were dragged in to taste all kinds of strange and wonderful dishes.

I only saw inside the production workers' canteen in the old building once but it was amazing - all art deco with exotic murals. I think the whole building was demolished when it closed which is such a shame.

Yes I used to go to the canteen in the new block and I also remember trying new recipes in the other block. In the summer we used to sit in the gardens at lunch time and on some Fridays we used to go to the pub. The Fox or The Gate. At xmas everybody used to go to The Fox for a great p!!!!! up.I remember if we went to the pub Friday lunch I used to be sleepy all afternoon, luckily my back was to the boss's office.

Sorry Kidorry, too early for me. The only gaffer I knew was in the 60/70,s. He was called Desborough, a light haired chap. He used to come over to the computer room to discuss our electrical requirements. Cheers.

Sorry Kidorry, too early for me. The only gaffer I knew was in the 60/70,s. He was called Desborough, a light haired chap. He used to come over to the computer room to discuss our electrical requirements. Cheers.

Just wondered because he lived near to us.

I have friends/relatives who used to work there. Peter Race , Ted Hampton and Anyes Hobson.

Edited by satman2222

anyone know of any old photos of batchelors at claywheels lane.

There are a few on www.picturesheffield.com. Does anyone recognise anybody here? http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s02838

My mum worked at Batchelors for a while in the 1950s "pea-picking" - that is, removing bad peas from the vast numbers that went past in the trough. The motto was "eat what you can, and can what you can't".

Hi satman2222, I'm sure I worked with Anyes. I think she was the lady I taught my job when I left to have my son. I worked in Financial Accounts under John Guy.