Bachelors Foods

My wife worked at Batchelors Catering supplies from 1965 to 1968/9 in the old house offices her maiden name is Wendy Hannan she still has a photo of the staff on the steps in front of the house.

Don't know if there is any interest still in this post - but just to say I worked at Batchelors for 15 years, all but a few days, from 1974.

I started working as a clerk, for Kath Keyworth, and ended my career as the Batchelors accountancy trainee....having worked in accounts, Catering, john guy's gofer, and Marketing.

I recognise several of the names mentioned...I mostly worked in Batchelors Catering Supplies - Bill Smart, Guy Roberts, Roger ?

I remember Pam in stationery - we called her 'bleedin' Pam' as that was her favourite swear word.

I knew loads of people there, and funnily enough I ran into one lady yesterday who worked opposite me in accounts - together with Jack Rhodes...our conversations must have broadened his horizons!!!!!

Let me know if anyone remembers.....I was tall, blond...very dopey, and my name was Dawn Ronksley.

Bill Smart was my grandad, I always remember someone doing a great picture for him when he retired, it was full of everything he liked doing, I still have the newspaper cutting from the Batchelor News magazine announcing his retirement

jkjkljlkikulkj,m,b

Edited by EdmundH
missing word

Did anybody else on this forum used to work in the IT department at Bachelor's Foods on Clay Wheels Lane?..I started there as a trainee operator through to Shift Leader. That was about 1976 to 1980.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 14:42 ----------

Did anybody else on this forum used to work in the IT department at Bachelor's Foods on Clay Wheels Lane?..I started there as a trainee operator through to Shift Leader. That was about 1976 to 1980.

....I remember John Gilpin( tho I don't think he recalls me)..Harry Rotherham, Maurice Wright, Colin and Sylvia Foster, Maureen of course...i joined same time as Dave Wagstaff, ......John Bartley, Pauline who moved from the punch room into Ops. Percy Wolstenhome, ..Harry was my shift leader for a while...both Colin and Maurice took us under their wings. Sylvia was lovely..I have happy memories....don't recall many punch girls tho, think Marjorie was in charge. There used to be a girl called Jane who worked in the lab kitchens, we had to walk past it daily and some of the smells were terrific.

My Mom was a pea picker at Batchelors her first husband had just died and she needed to bring up her young daughter alone. Her name at that time was Marion Cuckson (nee Brace).

I am not sure of the exact year but I do have a black and white faded photograph of all the Batchelors girls wearing coveralls, white shirts and white turbans, stood or sitting in rows on the kerb out side the factory in the sunshine.

It looks late 1940s - early 1950s. She later remarried and had me, I can remember her doing the washing or house work and singing "A Batchelors Girl am I "

I don't know if it was a popular tune of the time adapted to fit or a factory song made up within the works at the time.

Some photos on here http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=batchelors&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%25batchelors%25%3B

My mother and her sisters also worked there.

I've just stumbled across this site and felt compelled to add my bit.I can't believe there are so many names on here that I remember! I worked at Batchelors from 1974 to 1983 in the marketing dept along with the likes of John Elliot,Ken Clarke,Tony Rhodes,Barry Brooks,

Hedley Siddall,Dennis Barker,Jenny Cotton and lots of others (I won't bore you with all the names).I've been trying to track down a girl who worked for me at the time.Her name was Barbara Green.I've no idea if she got married after I left so I'm not sure what her name is now!So many memories come flooding back just reading your stories and the names of people who I either worked with or just knew from around the building.

Hi John Pauline was small with red hair she ownsRhinegold Nursery with her family dont remember Lynne Wiseman Anne was typing for Percy and I did after she left do you rember Ruth old lady with grey hair bfn

Angela

Hi Angela...I remember all those. Pauline and I worked together on shift... I recall a few faces in the punch room but not all names...Kath I think was one...Norma?!....But remember all in DP.... Sylvia and Maureen were lovely . Sylvia was so straight forward talking... Colin and Maurice...Harry and John Bartley...I recall John Gilpin who left about a year that I joined...I was there for four years from Trainee Operator to Shift Leader. Percy scared the living daylights out of me. Looking back tho, they were happy times.

Hi Angela...I remember all those. Pauline and I worked together on shift... I recall a few faces in the punch room but not all names...Kath I think was one...Norma?!....But remember all in DP.... Sylvia and Maureen were lovely . Sylvia was so straight forward talking... Colin and Maurice...Harry and John Bartley...I recall John Gilpin who left about a year that I joined...I was there for four years from Trainee Operator to Shift Leader. Percy scared the living daylights out of me. Looking back tho, they were happy times.

Pauline and her husband Graham have both passed away.

gjggfhghjfghgh

Edited by EdmundH

That is so sad....I know they had two kids I think. Who are you btw...I don't suppose you recall the punch girls etc..?

My mum worked there for about 30yrs.Her name is Ivy Fowler,think she worked in the cannery most of the time.Her best pal was Irene Beresford.

That is so sad....I know they had two kids I think. Who are you btw...I don't suppose you recall the punch girls etc..?

I have a friend who worked in Batchelors DP a bit before your time, he left in '74.

He now lives in California but asked me to post a few names he remembered- Marjorie Hance, Barbara (can't remember her surname but she looked after tapes and discs and was married to a police officer) Lynne Jeffcock, Beverley (can't remember surname) Paul Bownes, John Hadfield, Mike Hawley, Willie Wombell, Mick Brown, Sheila Evans, John Wright.

Also, he's pointed out that there used to be pictures of the Batchelors lab kitchen on the Alamy website.

Edited by Walkley0 Mum