Where I live. (Off Abbeydale Rd.)

Things have calmed down a lot since they had that big community meeting at the Mosque after bonfire night.

I wasnt at the meeting but there seems to be less stories of anti social behaviour coming out of the area.

I drive through there regally and i rarely see gangs of youths like a did last year but i summer is approaching so it may change.

You drive, waving in a circular fashion out of the window?

So you wouldt mind if my kids come and threw big stones at your car, or fired powerful rockets at it etc etc.

not to mention a big bunch of other unlawful things they get up to. ah yes i can see your mentality.

Anyone would mind ANY group of people of any age or race causing anti social behaviour. However, across the city there do seem to be groups of all backgrounds that appear to cause more of a problem in particular areas. It's not stereotyping or being racist... it's just a fact. I've been hounded by a group of young white males more than once whilst working in Parsons Cross.

Similarly, I have observed that around the Abbeydale area all the issues I have personally experienced have been due to young Asian males. It's an observation, nothing more, nothing less. I also have noticed the wider Asian community doing all possible to encourage these youngsters to go to school, to not use bad language in shops and to stop loitering. I think this is fantastic as I rarely see the parents of pre-mentioned white youths in Parsons Cross trying to discipline their offspring.

Issues experienced- groups of males smoking weed at the end of my road, being threatened because I'm in "their area", name calling when having to try and push through a group hanging around outside a shop. But in every situation, I have stood up for myself as have the community around me.

And that's why I love this area. Everyone, of all backgrounds, religions and ethnicities pull together to tackle the few that try to spoil the neighbourhood. I love the community.

Edited by Nicotrod
add on sentence

Edgy is another word for 'vibrant'.

In this sense it means 'at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.'

I looked in the dictionary.

Anyone would mind ANY group of people of any age or race causing anti social behaviour. However, across the city there do seem to be groups of all backgrounds that appear to cause more of a problem in particular areas. It's not stereotyping or being racist... it's just a fact. I've been hounded by a group of young white males more than once whilst working in Parsons Cross.

Similarly, I have observed that around the Abbeydale area all the issues I have personally experienced have been due to young Asian males. It's an observation, nothing more, nothing less. I also have noticed the wider Asian community doing all possible to encourage these youngsters to go to school, to not use bad language in shops and to stop loitering. I think this is fantastic as I rarely see the parents of pre-mentioned white youths in Parsons Cross trying to discipline their offspring.

Issues experienced- groups of males smoking weed at the end of my road, being threatened because I'm in "their area", name calling when having to try and push through a group hanging around outside a shop. But in every situation, I have stood up for myself as have the community around me.

And that's why I love this area. Everyone, of all backgrounds, religions and ethnicities pull together to tackle the few that try to spoil the neighbourhood. I love the community.

The gangs are Asian. It's not racist. It's a fact that young Asian males are the problem in the abbeydale corridor.

The gangs are Asian. It's not racist. It's a fact that young Asian males are the problem in the abbeydale corridor.

That was the point I was trying to make but in a more sensitive way. I didn't say it was racist. I said there are gangs of every type across the city. White youths seem a predominant problem in Parsons Cross. Male Asian teenagers are the main problem in the Abbeydale area.

That was the point I was trying to make but in a more sensitive way. I didn't say it was racist. I said there are gangs of every type across the city. White youths seem a predominant problem in Parsons Cross. Male Asian teenagers are the main problem in the Abbeydale area.

I live here. And a bloke ive just been speaking to on PM works here.

We both just said exactly the same thing.

It's not a "bad" area. If you like hipsters & cheeky asian kids, it's perfect.:cool:

I live here. And a bloke ive just been speaking to on PM works here.

We both just said exactly the same thing.

It's not a "bad" area. If you like hipsters & cheeky asian kids, it's perfect.:cool:

I live there too. And like I said... I love it :)

The area is certainly on the up. Beer-wise, The Broadfield is great and Hop Hideout next door has lots of choice and beer on keg to sit and sup. Then it`s not far across to Heeley where there`s Sheaf, Brothers and White Lion all very good. Tramshed is doing well and there`s a Mexican place that`s replaced Thali café.

Ahhh now jemmo. Chessy road is Meersbrook or heeley bottom. Apparenty theres a distinction between that and Abbeydale Rd, the boundaries are a bone of contention round here :hihi:

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 16:04 ----------

I live there too. And like I said... I love it :)

It's got character.:love:

Edited by Tomjames
..ddd

Maybe these two groups could wipe each other out ??

So that's another previously well-cherished area which has been invaded by the café culture craft sipping hipsters. Where next? Hen and Chickens as an "edgy" Gastro Pub? :hihi:

Gastroenteritis pub more like.

I lived there over 10 year ago, literally in the upper-floor flat (next to the bus stop and above the property agency) displayed in the photo of the news. Obviously it is not the best area in Sheffield, but at that time the criminal rate was not too bad. Things may have changed in the last few years.

It is true that the vast majority of the problems there are caused by gangs of younger Asians and it isn't racist to say so. The police seem to be gradually moving away from not wishing to alienate or demonise a particular community, to acknowledging who exactly is causing the problems, saying so and dealing with it.

The demographics round that area are extremely interesting. I can't think of any other area where the population is so strongly split between an Asian community (many of whom must themselves be pretty well off to afford to live there) and a prosperous, middle-class white community. It's that tension which is causing much of the problems.

SYP are far too busy protecting Amey in their relentless quest to butcher every tree in Sheffield