Sheffield graffiti artist fell to his death

Must be the onset of old-age, but I do have a little sympathy for the family who've lost a loved one. He died doing what he loved:

Tributes to Sheffield graffiti artist who fell to his death

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/tributes-to-sheffield-graffiti-artist-who-fell-to-his-death-1-7944593

A well-known teenage graffiti artist fell to his death through the skylight of a factory roof in Sheffield.

The body of Oliver Crowther, aged 18, was found inside Arundel Joinery, Sidney Street, city centre, when staff arrived at work to open up.

Paramedics were called but Oliver was pronounced dead at the scene.

Oliver, of Northcote Avenue, Meersbrook, was found underneath a broken skylight.

It gets better (or worse, depending on your point of view):

Graffiti tributes have sprung-up around Sidney Street to ‘Olta’ – understood to be Oliver’s tag.

But friends of Oliver’s family urged the graffiti community not to tag his name near to his family home out of respect.

Gabriella Haughton-Malik said: “I’m a good friend and neighbour of Olta’s mum.

“I have noticed a tag of his name has appeared on some bollards at the end of his road and. Whilst I completely understand the fine tribute to him that this is, this might not be the best thing for his mum.

“If someone could kindly remove it and any others in the immediate area I know his mum would be very appreciative of that.

So remember kids: it's cool to tag somebody else's neighbourhood, but please don't tag your own neighbourhood.

exactly the same thoughts I had when I read it

its sad that he died, but there must have been warnings about climbing onto the roof.

I wonder if the vandals family will sue the company that owns the building?

exactly the same thoughts I had when I read it

Same here. I mean yeah, its tragic but this family friend should be telling people NOT TO TAG full stop.

She is either deeply affected by her sons death (understandable) and is not thinking straight or she is a moron who thinks this lad died doing something good.

Edited by Mr Miyagi
edited for accuracy

its sad that he died, but there must have been warnings about climbing onto the roof.

I wonder if the vandals family will sue the company that owns the building?

He was tresspassing and had no right to be there so why would the buildings owners be liable for anything. ?

He was tresspassing and had no right to be there so why would the buildings owners be liable for anything. ?

well some people have tried to sue when family members fell through a skylight, didn't work out well for them though.

Must be the onset of old-age, but I do have a little sympathy for the family who've lost a loved one. He died doing what he loved:

Tributes to Sheffield graffiti artist who fell to his death

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/tributes-to-sheffield-graffiti-artist-who-fell-to-his-death-1-7944593

It gets better (or worse, depending on your point of view):

So remember kids: it's cool to tag somebody else's neighbourhood, but please don't tag your own neighbourhood.

Exactly what I thought.

and calling him a graffiti artist ? No... he was a vandal defacing other people's property.

yes ,how can he be called a graffiti artist ,when all he has done is spray (badly) his nickname on someones property

R.i.p..........

Very well said.

R.i.p..........

Exactly - a little decorum and sensitivity for his grieving family would be nice.

Same here. I mean yeah, its tragic but this lads mum should be telling people NOT TO TAG full stop.

She is either deeply affected by her sons death (understandable) and is not thinking straight or she is a moron who thinks her lad died doing something good.

The request not to tag his name did not come from his Mum but from a family friend. I don't know the name or what sort of graffiti he did but it seems the local youth are tagging his name in the area as some sort of homage. very misguided but then youth often are in the absence of good guidance.