Fraudster avoids jail

Care to expand ?

there seems to be loads of fraudsters just let off serving sentences who are british for fraud , white collar fraud , and intended fraud .

there seems to be loads of fraudsters just let off serving sentences who are british for fraud , white collar fraud , and intended fraud .

What's intended fraud? Do you have examples?

You couldn't make it up, what a slap in the face for Sheffield's hard working people.

A Nigerian illegal immigrant has avoided jail despite falsely claiming £50,000 in benefits to pay off the people smugglers who got her into Britain.

Linda Okungowa, 36, of Sheffield, who arrived in the UK on a false passport 12 years ago, claimed the money in destitution and child benefits despite working under false identities.

But the mother-of-three received a suspended sentence in an ‘amazing display of mercy’ after it emerged she had support from a church which was protecting her from committing more crime.

The decision by Judge Simon Lawler QC came five years after Okungowa was sent to prison for eight months for using false documents to obtain work while claiming £70,000 in benefits. :loopy:

Two fraud convictions and the church group are paying her rent :o (Featured in the Star)

Church is paying her rent so what? Why shouldn't the church pay her rent? She has three young children who need a secure home, this church was prepared to offer to become foster parents if she was sent to prison, this says a lot about the love for somebody who has committed fraud to come into the church where people love her for who she is ,regardless of her crimes , The problem is that families are often torn apart by prison so mercy is honourable .

This woman's family in Nigeria has probably been subject to violence, threats, and other terrible things. We have not been told this , this woman came here 12 years ago lured by lies of these people who want to make money out of trafficking or bringing in illegal immigrants . This woman was told she was had enough qualifications to train as a doctor, when probably she didn't she was probably told She couldn't money to send to her family who obviously were in Bad circumstances. Many lurred by lies from despicable people , wanting to make money out of people's bad circumstances, we in Britain don't fully understands the situations in Africa in particular Nigeria . Nigeria has a high Muslim population along with Christians , socially and economically poor , it is probably a battle to survive when you have no income.

I think the church has become involved because they can see the need of this person and her family they are behaving in a good Christian manner , they are helping her not to do this again they are teaching the children good ways and most importantly of all loving her and her family were they at , not many churches would pay rents be prepared to be foster parents or take any responsibility for that situation that this person has found themselves so well done Ben Hudd of the Ark church.

Edited by Kensmith

I am not sure "let off" is an accurate description.

But those cases don't sell copy do they?

I am not sure "let off" is an accurate description.

But those cases don't sell copy do they?

suspended sentences

---------- Post added 09-06-2016 at 18:03 ----------

What's intentional fraud? Do you have examples?

there is term which lawyers use called intended fraud , I presume as some fraud isn't deliberate

Edited by teeny

suspended sentences

---------- Post added 09-06-2016 at 18:03 ----------

there is term which lawyers use called intended fraud , I presume as some fraud isn't deliberate

If your view is that a suspended sentence is someone being "let off" then not being let off would be prison - I don't agree.

Lawyers do not use the term "intended fraud" - do you mean intentional

If the fraud is not deliberate is it an offence at all? How do you commit an accidental fraud - which requires dishonesty - not accidental dishonesty mind.

If your view is that a suspended sentence is someone being "let off" then not being let off would be prison - I don't agree.

Lawyers do not use the term "intended fraud" - do you mean intentional

If the fraud is not deliberate is it an offence at all? How do you commit an accidental fraud - which requires dishonesty - not accidental dishonesty mind.

yes thats what i meant i using siri ? siri changes things ! if you have a suspended sentence , you aren't in prison are you ? so although you have a criminal conviction you aren't serving a prison term ?

yes thats what i meant i using siri ? siri changes things ! if you have a suspended sentence , you aren't in prison are you ? so although you have a criminal conviction you aren't serving a prison term ?

Would this be for second offences? And for the amount stated in the OP?

Church is paying her rent so what? Why shouldn't the church pay her rent? She has three young children who need a secure home, this church was prepared to offer to become foster parents if she was sent to prison, this says a lot about the love for somebody who has committed fraud to come into the church where people love her for who she is ,regardless of her crimes , The problem is that families are often torn apart by prison so mercy is honourable .

This woman's family in Nigeria has probably been subject to violence, threats, and other terrible things. We have not been told this , this woman came here 12 years ago lured by lies of these people who want to make money out of trafficking or bringing in illegal immigrants . This woman was told she was had enough qualifications to train as a doctor, when probably she didn't she was probably told She couldn't money to send to her family who obviously were in Bad circumstances. Many lurred by lies from despicable people , wanting to make money out of people's bad circumstances, we in Britain don't fully understands the situations in Africa in particular Nigeria . Nigeria has a high Muslim population along with Christians , socially and economically poor , it is probably a battle to survive when you have no income.

I think the church has become involved because they can see the need of this person and her family they are behaving in a good Christian manner , they are helping her not to do this again they are teaching the children good ways and most importantly of all loving her and her family were they at , not many churches would pay rents be prepared to be foster parents or take any responsibility for that situation that this person has found themselves so well done Ben Hudd of the Ark church.

Where have you got all that information from regarding this woman's personal circumstances prior to her arrival in the UK?

Where have you got all that information from regarding this woman's personal circumstances prior to her arrival in the UK?

Not sure he is saying anything that suggests he knows any more than you do about her.

Why do you want to know ?

Kensmith is a member of the Ark Church so probably from there.

Not sure he is saying anything that suggests he knows any more than you do about her.

Why do you want to know ?

I've not read a news article that has indicated she was told that her qualifications could enable her to qualify as a Doctor.

Some of the comment seems very presumptuous. and I'm interested as to where that information has come from.