The Magpie Journal is looking for your submissions!

Now then.

It's a while since I've posted on here, as I've been working on a book, and a blog, and another book, all sorts of stuff in fact. But mainly procrastinating furiously and failing to write stuff that I want to write.

BUT! I've had an idea. It's not an original idea. Other people have had the same idea before. I'm going to start a journal of curios and ramblings. It's called The Magpie, and it's basically a collection of random writing of all sorts. If it's good and it's interesting, it can/will go in. Poetry, puzzles, artworks, essays, short stories or extracts from longer stories, first chapters... All considered!

Writers typically want to be paid for their work. Well, cards on the table: I'm fully intending to get The Magpie to be profitable in the long term, but there's no money for anything beyond a copy to each contributing author at this point. If you're sitting on a goldmine of amazing new work, perhaps send me a chapter or even a few paragraphs. See it as free advertising rather than giving away your work...

Once I've got some physical copies, I'll try to get them in the local shops, and expand that way, but most likely it will be a digital edition through the website that people will see (and therefore not be paying for). I don't intend to have any advertising of any other sort (once I've found the cash to upgrade the Weebly site) either on the website or in the journal.

For any of you who know that I'm in fact Andy, Charles de Batz is me as well, as my handle on here suggests.

Anyway, get in touch either through this thread or PM me for an email address.

Cheers!

---------- Post added 02-06-2016 at 20:53 ----------

Website link...

http://www.themagpiejournal.net/

Hi, my local story (for kids) The Old Rusty Bear is now on YouTube - happy for you to link or embed as content for the Magpie if you like. You will need to search for it on YouTube or Facebook as the system won't let me post a link here. Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up. For the magazine itself, I'd need a way of getting the illustrations that doesn't have either copy protection (the ibook - I haven't tried it but I assume that it would) or dreadful quality (me trying to screen-grab from youtube).

I'd be delighted to use it either just as text, or with the full set of illustrations if you can get them to me. I'll PM you my email address.

When I put my books on KDP, I ended up preparing something like a publisher file. Do you still have that? I could use it, I think.

Are you still taking submissions?

Are you still taking submissions?

Most definitely. I'm planning a summer release for issue 1, which is getting close to having enough to go ahead, but also an autumn release for issue 2, so even if anything you have doesn't make it into the first one, there'll definitely be space in issue 2!

PM me or have a look at the website for more details on how to send something over.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi

How are you getting on with The Magpie?

I think the iBook has its own file format which you probably wouldn't be able to use. It may be best option is to print just the text with maybe one of the picture files to illustrate it. I could email those to you when you are ready.

Thanks

ORB

I'll have a collection for work I can send and I will send it over. Thanks for the well informed reply, I will get back to you!

Glad to hear that folk are interested in this. The first issue is up to perhaps 20000 words so far, so will fill a decent-sized print magazine, but there's still more than enough scope for both adding to the first and getting something into the second.

If you're interested and you've not got in touch yet, please do!

If you have, there are a couple of questions for you: one is 'are you happy to appear on the list of collaborators on the website, and if so, under what name?' and the other is 'do you want to append any kind of profile, picture or otherwise self-promotion to your work?'

Cheers for all the replies, and keep an eye out on this thread and your emails if you're interested!

Issue 1 is available now in print, for those that prefer a physical book in the hand. £3 from Amazon and also available from Saturday from La Biblioteka on Pinstone Street.

Submissions for issue 2 being collected right now. Any poets, writers, illustrators, crossword setters or whatever you want to put out there, get in touch.

---------- Post added 08-10-2016 at 18:34 ----------

Me again. For those of you who don't know La Biblioteka or don't venture that far down, we're also for sale in Rare and Racy on Division Street.

Get out there are buy the writings of actual people from this here forum and elsewhere for the practically nominal sum of £3.

Keep your eyes on here for more bookshops as we get stock out there.