John Burkhill - A Sheffield Legend

So deserving of an award but agree, it should have been a higher one, presented by the Queen. John is one of the most heartwarming sights of Sheffield. Tireless and out in all weathers. Well done John! :)

Respect due to the man, but imagine if he'd turned it down! now that would've really been something special!

john im awarding you the obe as you are doing such a great job, but please john get some warm bottoms on,how you walk about in shorts in winter oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh get wrapped up luv

Does anyone on here know John Burkhill personally that could ask him if he wouldn't mind signing a picture I did of him?

http://alanhartley1980.deviantart.com/art/John-the-pram-man-Burkhill-462288512

That's great! Prints ought to be available in the Millennium Galleries Shop. Why don't you approach them?

Congrat to him thoroughly deserved. If he continues to raise more money then they should award him a higher one. He stands out because of his dedication and he is an ordinary member of the public, which makes fund raising much harder than if you are a celeb.

Edited by 999tigger

Congrat to him thoroughly deserved. If he continues to raise more money then they should award him a higher one. He stands out because of his dedication and he is an ordinary member of the public, which makes fund raising much harder than if you are a celeb.

good on him he deserves it.

This is an old thread. I resurrected it with post 53.

This is an old thread. I resurrected it with post 53.

Im sure johns grandson posts on here,sure he would be happy to help you out

That's great! Prints ought to be available in the Millennium Galleries Shop. Why don't you approach them?

Agreed. That's fabulous! Love the colours. These would be great as prints all over Sheffield with a donation going to the charity. Perhaps the charity would pay for printing costs and stand to generate much more. The Star could do a piece and they could sell them from the Star offices too. John coud have a few on him when he goes to events and sign them for recommended donation amounts. :thumbsup:

john what a top man nothing ever to much trouble,he came to the lowedges festival in 2013 and hes opening our festival this year on sun august 10th in greenhill park,such a humble man,even said to the mayress ladys first when asked to say a few words at 12 noon opening,we both stood back and said no you john you are 1st,he said he would take a walk with the pram and it took him several hours as people wanted to speak to him,even a very old lady came with a jar full of coins for his cause,we of course donated to his cause and he even went to our tenants hall and again it took him a while to leave,due to photos and donaters,top man come along and see him in august he deserves all your thanks as hes the best,thanks john your a true gentleman

I'm sure we all have the same mutual respect for local hero John Burkhill. For those who don't know him by name you might know him more familiarly as "The Man with the Pram".

I read an article about John in The Star not all that long ago. Despite raising £250,000 for MacMillan Cancer which is staggering and an unbelievable achievement but despite being 70 and despite a recent spell of ill health he isn't ready to hang up his walking boots just yet. John has a dream to hit £1m and he is determined to continue walking the streets of Sheffield at every possible opportunity to continue his great work.

John has received recognition for his fine efforts in the form of his British Empire Medal and in being selected as a torch bearer for the 2012 London Olympic games however to date I can't think of any formal recognition within Sheffield which in a way disappointed me as I think he holds a place of admiration in all of our hearts for his services to charity and his sheer commitment and determination.

I had a quick think about how we could recognise John and his achievements within Sheffield and eventually stumbled across the Sheffield Legends Walk. For those who aren't familiar with what it is think of the Hollywood pavement stars.

Looking at the names on Sheffield Legends we have such local figures as Clinton Woods, Joe Scarborough, Jessica Ennis, Def Leppard and Brendan Ingle. Now I'm not going to knock any of these individuals what so ever, they have all achieved a great deal within their own fields and all deserve recognition within the City. However looking back at John. A hero within the City, a man who has selflessly committed himself to walk mile after mile, day after day in order to raise much needed funds for charity. He holds a place in all our hearts however In my opinion he deserves permanent recognition within the City and his achievements are up there with all of those names with existing stars. What do you all think?

Eligibility for a Sheffield Legend star (courtesy of Sheffield City Council website):

Those eligible for the awards must either have been born in Sheffield or have a very strong association with the city and must have achieved recognition at national or preferably at international level. Nominees will be required to write a short note of around 50 words to say why their choice should receive the honour.

Based on this it seems Sheffield Legend Stars are award to those who have achieved recognition nationally . Do we interpret this as those with celebrity status who have for whatever reason put Sheffield on the map?. John narrowly missed out on a Pride Of Britain local hero award I believe with makes him a national hero. But never the less he is most definitely a local hero and regardless of who SCC believe should be eligible for a Star surely there is nobody more deserving locally.

Edited by peakexpat