Jimmy powell singer died 13 may

No problem.

From memory, RSG started being broadcast in the south only - or perhaps 'trialed' as they say these days - and an early (perhaps first?) female presenter was Zoe Dean, who became Deep Purple's Ian Gillan's girlfriend for a few years.

Yes RSG's initial broadcasts (1963) were in in 'the south', which is to me places like Dover, Brighton, Portsmouth, Southampton, Isle of Wight etc but they actually meant 'Cockney infested' areas, until four lads from some place in western Lancashire sorted it out !

Yes RSG's initial broadcasts (1963) were in in 'the south', which is to me places like Dover, Brighton, Portsmouth, Southampton, Isle of Wight etc but they actually meant 'Cockney infested' areas, until four lads from some place in western Lancashire sorted it out !

I keep thinking of Geordie land because I remember ( I think lol) The Animals being introduced as a new up and coming "local" band on one show. Maybe they moved the venues around a lot, or maybe my memory stinks ha ah !:confused:

I keep thinking of Geordie land because I remember ( I think lol) The Animals being introduced as a new up and coming "local" band on one show. Maybe they moved the venues around a lot, or maybe my memory stinks ha ah !:confused:

Well 'The Animals' were from Newcastle, (whey aye man) so could be a Tyne-Tees T.V. connection.

Edited by stpetre
Add

thank you for your messages i will forward them on to his family, joe cocker gave me a jimmy powell sugar baby record from his own collection and the about 67,he was playing me the demo disc of help from my friends in his front room, if any sheffield bands can remember jimmy powell, or more so the ecclesall non pots charity night the same night springstein was at bramall lane, terry thornton was in the crowd and gerry kersey , jimmy gave away copies of his Lp the weekend starts hear as prizes to the best dressed sixties couple his last big show was at the borderline club london 10 songs all on you tube .ps on the sunday after the eccy club he played crookes club, thank you for your memories once again i will send to his family

---------- Post added 24-05-2016 at 19:13 ----------

a very big thank you to stpetre from new yorks message that really would have made jimmy smile

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 18:40 ----------

any more stories before i send this on to the family of jimmy powell

Hi maggidee.

Have you see the post by derekmackem on the Bands of the Sixties thread?

It's on the last page. He knew Jimmy and worked with him 67/68. It may be of interest to the family

thanks so much dreb 48 ill try and find it

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 18:09 ----------

jimmy powell the dimensions band .its jimmys funeral on friday at redditch crematorium, any memories of seeing him at the esquire club crooks club or mojo please leave your message on her and they will be passed on to his family0ct 13 1942...may 13 2016 thank you

any memories of seeing jimmy and the dimensions at the esquire or mojo.crooks club, please leave a message on here and i will send them to the family thank you

any memories of seeing jimmy and the dimensions at the esquire or mojo.crooks club, please leave a message on here and i will send them to the family thank you

There was a tribute played to Jimmy on radio 2 tonight around 7.20 played a record and said a few words about him you should be able to hear it on catch up.

thanks for that micawber,your messagehas gone to his family, they are doing one on sounds of the sixties anytime now

---------- Post added 09-06-2016 at 08:36 ----------

thanks micawber your message has gone to the family , its going to be on sounds of the sixties soon also

a big thank you to keith woods from the borderline club in london for his tribute to jimmy in the number91 magazine tales from the woods, its nice for clubs like this to remember

jimmy powell and there is the show on you tube with all the songs ,it was jimmys last show you can find more on borderlines facebook and their web site http://www.tftw.org.uk, thanks again to the borderlineclub london

today friday 13 would have been jimmys 75 th birthday did you see him at the esquire club mojo ecclesall rd sixties night or crooks club . can you put your story of him on here and i will send them to his family,as many ass possible please, thanks everyone

today would have been his 78 birthday   sixties blues singer played the esquire club the mojo.and many sheffield clubs,and in the sixties toured with roy orbison joe cocker the sones and did ready steady go thank your lucky stars.etc any memories of you seeing jimmy would be appreciated............thanks