Good place for MOT around Hillsborough

how much for MOT there?

Didn't ask actually. I'm not that bothered about the price, I want somewhere with a reliable mechanic to do it.

Didn't ask actually. I'm not that bothered about the price, I want somewhere with a reliable mechanic to do it.

We always take to top tred. Never been let down.

Ghia Garage, honest and fair, hard to beat,

Motor Mates or Leader Road have always been good for me.

I use Halfords Hiilsborough Manager there very helpful

Did you not see me mention it in the OP?

I've booked somewhere now thanks everyone, you can stop with the suggestions until next time.

Bargepole, touch, wouldn't, with. Rearrange at your leasure. I use Highbank (after Halfords took me for a mug). Highbank are competitive and good quality.

The manager there is a top bloke, but the work can be pricey.

I think most jobs are just quoted off an online system, so can be abit pricey.

Pity really, the guys too good for the place - hope he sets up on his own and does well.

I couldn't speak more highly of South Yorkshire Auto Diagnostics Ltd based at Unit 2, Borough Rd, Sheffield S6 2AY. Always good service.

0114 233 6666

I have no connection to this business other than being a customer for the last 3-4 years after another forumer recommended them. When you find a good mechanic, you stick to them like a limpet :)

Well, the work seems to be fine and the price was reasonable. But there was some confusion over a phone call.

They are convinced that they phoned me, and I know (and my phone agrees) that they didn't. I'm guessing they phoned a wrong number and some joker just told them to go ahead with the work needed to pass the MOT.

I would have done the same anyway, but they swear blind that they phoned me, and I know for a fact (and my phone log agrees) that they didn't.

---------- Post added 14-06-2016 at 08:19 ----------

The manager there is a top bloke, but the work can be pricey.

I think most jobs are just quoted off an online system, so can be abit pricey.

Pity really, the guys too good for the place - hope he sets up on his own and does well.

The reason I'm not happy with Halfords at the moment is that they tried to tell me an entire headlight unit needed replacing for £1000 (yes, 1 thousand) because the sidelight had gone. It's a £5 bulb.

They then dropped the bumper off and took the headlight out (after I told them that you could most definitely replace the bulb), when to change the bulbs you take a wheel off and open a panel in the wheel arch. I appreciate that they can't be experts in every car, but believing that you couldn't replace a bulb, that's just a bit much for a professional mechanic IMO.

Halfords.......professional mechanic

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Thanks, I needed a laugh!

I'm sure there are some good fitters work at Halfords who are good at their job but in general chains and "fast-fit" outlets tend to prefer cheaper labour and inadequate training. As evident by someone above saying someone is "too good for [Halfords]"

Edited by Squiggs

You'd think that if the work experience kid doing my MOT didn't know how to change the bulb he'd ask the experienced guy there though! Not just make up that I needed a new headlamp cluster!