Cat Worming difficulty.

hello to all.

We cannot get our Two 12 week old kittens to accept their worming tablets.

Anyone any suggestions re alternatives ?

Thanks

Bill

Try crushing the tablets and mixing them into potted meat. Our jack Russel has to have quite a large tablet every day and this never fails.

our vet did our cats,he blew in their face very gently giving the tablets at the same time,genius !!!

Bob Martin do a spot on de wormer you can buy in the supermarket I got some at tesco there is also liquid form you mix in with food

get some DE and mix it in their food

My cats are fine at taking tablets. With the pug, I have to crush the tablets and mix them into some Whiskas cat milk. He's on a strict diet, so I can't disguise them in any other food types. I tried to get him to swallow the tablets, but he wriggles a lot, and they kept falling out of the sides of his mouth. I also tried pretending it was a treat, but he's not daft :hihi:

Unless there's signs of worms I wouldn't bother with the chemical worming options for dogs or cats.

I use worm count and if worming is needed then do it.

We used to have three cats who all 'preferred' different worming methods. One wouldn't eat food with wormer in even thought the powder was meant to be tasteless and odourless. :rolleyes: We used liquid wormer and tablet wormer. Ours used to eat mice even though they were well fed so we used to worm them every six weeks. In addition to powder, granules and tablets we used a liquid wormer. Not all wormers cover all worms. We used to buy one that did called Drontil. We have a house cat now so rarely worm.

Are you sure you are holding the cat right to administer tablets? Our most difficult cat used to be wrapped like a swaddled baby so he couldn't scratch us. I could do the other cats myself but this one was a two man job. :hihi: Its easy to open a cats jaw if you put your thumb one side of the jaw and your ring finger at the other side. Wriggle it about until the jaw opens. Tilt the cats head and drop a tables coated in butter towards the back of the throat on their tongue. Hold their jaw closed and stroke their throat. They have to swallow. Hold the cat for a while as one of ours used to be able to hold the tablet under their tongue for a while and spit it out. :hihi:

We use a tablet dropper and its a life saver! I'd recommend it to anyone with a cat as it made our life so much easier when one of ours was on antibiotics

I cant post a link as i havent made 5 posts yet but if you look for "pill giver" on amazon they've got loads and theyre pretty cheap (£2-3)

Try crushing the tablets and mixing them into potted meat. Our jack Russel has to have quite a large tablet every day and this never fails.

potted meat or butter work with most of ours. The tablet dropper thing upsets them and I can get a couple to accept the tablets just by lifting the head back with one hand (that automatically makes the mouth open, swiftly depositing the tablet and then closing the mouth and stroking the throat to encourage the cat to swallow

That doesn't ALWAYS go smoothly, but usually does the trick

Many thanks to all.

They are now due neutering, I hate the thought of it.

Are there no alternatives ?

Thanks

Are you sure you are holding the cat right to administer tablets? Our most difficult cat used to be wrapped like a swaddled baby so he couldn't scratch us. I could do the other cats myself but this one was a two man job. :hihi: Its easy to open a cats jaw if you put your thumb one side of the jaw and your ring finger at the other side. Wriggle it about until the jaw opens. Tilt the cats head and drop a tables coated in butter towards the back of the throat on their tongue. Hold their jaw closed and stroke their throat. They have to swallow. Hold the cat for a while as one of ours used to be able to hold the tablet under their tongue for a while and spit it out. :hihi:

We use a tablet dropper and its a life saver! I'd recommend it to anyone with a cat as it made our life so much easier when one of ours was on antibiotics

(£2-3)

Excellent tips, I have done both over the years.