Standall (Engineering?), Mickley Lane, Sheffield

For many years I passed the disused works building on Mickley Lane. Recently it was demolished and houses built on the site and the name 'Standall' used in naming the resulting road.

I was always fascinated to know its history. When was the small factory in operation? What did it produce? How did the workforce get there?

Can anyone supply the answers please?

The factory was built on the site of the old Mickley Colliery - here is a comparison of an old map and a more recent aerial view.

Thank you both for the information.

It would appear that both the factory and the new houses are built over the shafts of the Mickley Colliery.

The factory was called Standall tools and produced/forged/heat treated construction digging bits, moils, spades, heavy duty "peckers" etc. Was a veritable hell hole with scant regard to H&S. I worked there for about 4 years during the 80s. Yes it was built on the site of the Mickley colliery and one of the shafts provided the company with a place to dump all sorts of rubbish.

I was offered a job there way back in the 80's. I think the MD was German, name of Theo Dengel but I may be wrong. He was very optimistic about the future of the firm but I didn't like what I saw, the place appeared to be running on a shoestring with no or little product development but again, I could have been wrong.

I was offered a job there way back in the 80's. I think the MD was German, name of Theo Dengel but I may be wrong. He was very optimistic about the future of the firm but I didn't like what I saw, the place appeared to be running on a shoestring with no or little product development but again, I could have been wrong.

You're perfectly correct. He made his daughter a director. Works manager was a bloke called Elshaw, he used to walk about the shop floor periodically verbaly abusing, punching and kicking the employees if he thought they were doing wrong......a complete and utter b@@***

You're perfectly correct. He made his daughter a director. Works manager was a bloke called Elshaw, he used to walk about the shop floor periodically verbaly abusing, punching and kicking the employees if he thought they were doing wrong......a complete and utter b@@***

What?? You are seriously saying this Works Manager went around actually punching and kicking employees?

What?? You are seriously saying this Works Manager went around actually punching and kicking employees?

Yes, absolutely