Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

I'd like to think I was at least partially responsible for the downfall of Wentworth after having quite the worst pint of 'Blonde' ever and stating so quite vehemently to my many beer friends on social media. A month later they announced they were folding. .

Ah yes that would account for it. And to think I imagined you to be an adult.:hihi::hihi:

Ah yes that would account for it. And to think I imagined you to be an adult.:hihi::hihi:

Oh no... perish the thought. Apparently being an adult means conforming to popular tripe, watching Coronation Street and drinking something that won't affect the taste of your cocoa at bedtime :)

see above. I'll wager we and many other micros use much higher quality than Carling, Peroni or indeed Timmy T - and certainly a lot more of them!

Why is my beer cheaper than Peroni? because a fool and his money are soon parted, far too many value image over substance...

---------- Post added 09-06-2016 at 13:28 ----------

it's about flavour. had plenty of 3.8% beers (and even 2.5% beers) with far more flavour than Peroni...

But when you are sat outside Cubana in Leopold Square on a scorching day, watching the dancing and nibbling Tapas there isn't much better than a Peroni. I presume that's why Cubana sell it and their customers drink it. That's the problem with CAMRA. Half the membership have fat bellies and beards, and can't see beyond a hop infested hand pulled ale when the weather calls for a chilled lager. Which of course is why so few of them make lager and so many folk buy Carling and Peroni.

As per the style of the bar I'd be after a cocktail if I was going to Cubana not a generic European lager, but each to their own.

But there are quite a few independent lagers coming through at the moment Stancil (from Sheffield no less) have a nice Pilsner that's been picked by 'Spoons, there's also Yorkshire Lager and a few others. Many independent brewers including Sentinel and Steel City have moved beyond real ale as defined by CAMRA.

But when you are sat outside Cubana in Leopold Square on a scorching day, watching the dancing and nibbling Tapas there isn't much better than a Peroni. I presume that's why Cubana sell it and their customers drink it. That's the problem with CAMRA. Half the membership have fat bellies and beards, and can't see beyond a hop infested hand pulled ale when the weather calls for a chilled lager. Which of course is why so few of them make lager and so many folk buy Carling and Peroni.

There's lots of things better than Peroni, up to and including a poke in the eye ;) for me, the weather never calls for a chilled lager. hot weather calls for shade & breeze or indoors with some nice aircon! why would the weather induce me to drink something inherently unpleasant?

I do agree that certain styles suit certain seasons, and I wouldn't pick an imperial stout in the middle of a hot summer. But it wouldn't drive me to drink 5h1te just cos it's cold. Water's cold if you keep it in the fridge and tastes better than Peroni. Given the choice though, make mine a geueze

quote....

"Especially with the likes of Timmy Ts being around for ages and such. Carling has been around for ages. Stella even more so. Are you seriuously arguing that these are quality beers? Just because they stick around and sell in spades? Nope, they stick around and sell in spades because they are brewed for a mass market with as little 'edginess' as possible so as to appeal to the most people they can reach.".

Thanks for admitting you mis-quoted.

As per the style of the bar I'd be after a cocktail if I was going to Cubana not a generic European lager, but each to their own.

But there are quite a few independent lagers coming through at the moment Stancil (from Sheffield no less) have a nice Pilsner that's been picked by 'Spoons, there's also Yorkshire Lager and a few others. Many independent brewers including Sentinel and Steel City have moved beyond real ale as defined by CAMRA.

Yes cocktails are a great idea to accompany a meal. I prefer shots myself but then neither really hits the spot when washing down tapas, and neither does really quench the thirst on a hot lunchtime or help out at the meeting in the afternoon. I think I drink Peroni at Cubana because that's what they sell..

---------- Post added 09-06-2016 at 17:02 ----------

There's lots of things better than Peroni, up to and including a poke in the eye ;) for me, the weather never calls for a chilled lager. hot weather calls for shade & breeze or indoors with some nice aircon! why would the weather induce me to drink something inherently unpleasant?

I do agree that certain styles suit certain seasons, and I wouldn't pick an imperial stout in the middle of a hot summer. But it wouldn't drive me to drink 5h1te just cos it's cold. Water's cold if you keep it in the fridge and tastes better than Peroni. Given the choice though, make mine a geueze

Do you have a beard?

Edited by foxy lady

I prefer to think of it as 3 weeks worth of stubble ;)

Beards are rubbish, shaving is rubbisher!

I prefer to think of it as 3 weeks worth of stubble ;)

Beards are rubbish, shaving is rubbisher!

You're OK. You take a ribbing well. I'll come and make myself known at a festival. :)

I hear there's one in October. Andy C may mention it in passing occasionally...

Steel City beers do tend to be expensive these days but I attribute that to the premium on the blue ceramic swing top styling....

Ironically, a rhubarb gose would go down well in this weather....

Steel City beers do tend to be expensive these days but I attribute that to the premium on the blue ceramic swing top styling....

Ironically, a rhubarb gose would go down well in this weather....

That's just hipster twottery, I'll take a dozen!