Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

What a strange place!  

I wish they'd just open like any normal pub, then we'd know where we stand.

Around the walls last time I went. Then a party left and we got a table.

TBF they've only just taken over, would take them a few weeks to get properly up and running, so it's either a few hours here and there or just don't open at all for now

For those who use Farcebook they seem to publicise when they'll be open on there...

22 hours ago, SteelCityAle said:

TBF they've only just taken over, would take them a few weeks to get properly up and running, so it's either a few hours here and there or just don't open at all for now

For those who use Farcebook they seem to publicise when they'll be open on there...

Right.  So it IS open again then - yes?  Can you tell us anything about it?  Is it still brewing it's own beer?  Who's taken it over?  Do they do food etc?  

I would have thought someone in the know might have mentioned it on here before now.  It's only because I happen to comment on the lights being on and a Christmas tree being up that we're now having this conversation about it being open!  :confused:  

Do they need anyone to help them with their marketing I wonder?

A new company has bought the assets, they intend to brew but I don't know if they have yet. They will be changing the name in due course 

Many thanks.  I look forward to finding out more.

Was handed a flyer earlier today advertising Wednesday xmas student deals, so assume it's open today at least

I've investigated.

It's open Weds, Fri and Saturday.  That's a start I suppose.  The whole operation is scaled down for now but it's worth a visit.  They've got rid of a lot of those stupid little cafe style tables, that made it feel like a canteen, and put big comfy sofa's in their place.  The look and feel is better already.  

What's the beer like?

I'm going out next Thu/Fri and it's not too far from the Rutland Arms to Sentinel.

When I had it was pretty standard real ale fair nothing special.

To make a success of something you need to be open regular hours and regular days and not just do things when you feel like it  The few times I went down some of time it was closed for a private function, after a couple of times of that I never went back.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:28 AM, Cyclone said:

What's the beer like?

I'm going out next Thu/Fri and it's not too far from the Rutland Arms to Sentinel.

It seems they are selling off the old beer at £3 a pint.  I had a pint of the US IPA on cask.  At 6.5% ABV I thought it was good and enjoyed it.  But they are selling off the old stuff by the look of it so don't expect it to be fantastic yet.

Seems like I'm starting tonight from the Treehouse Cafe, so it's even more convenient to go past it on the way to the Rutland Arms, so I may well have a look.

Makapaka will be disappointed to learn though, that if I don't like the beer on offer, I'll leave!  So, stout or porter it is, or nothing!

On 12/28/2018 at 9:17 AM, Cyclone said:

Seems like I'm starting tonight from the Treehouse Cafe, so it's even more convenient to go past it on the way to the Rutland Arms, so I may well have a look.

Makapaka will be disappointed to learn though, that if I don't like the beer on offer, I'll leave!  So, stout or porter it is, or nothing!

Well, popped in, had one (Orange stout, not much taste of orange, 4.1% seems on the very mild side), the place was nearly empty, seems nice enough still, but absolutely no atmosphere and a very small selection of beer.

Rutland Arms on the other hand has an entire board of stouts, I tried the top 3, in halves as they were all around 10%, then onwards to Brewdog (disappointing this time) and the head of steam.

Surprisingly quiet for a Friday night in the middle of the xmas holidays.  One of the quietest nights out in town I've seen in a long time.