Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

alas the craft blue bottles are no more :-(

tbh they didn't affect the price much, they cost the same as the 'normal' bottles

ps blagged a preview of the rhubarb gose last night, it's a mad beer, in a good way!

Steel City beers do tend to be expensive these days but I attribute that to the premium on the blue ceramic swing top styling....

Ironically, a rhubarb gose would go down well in this weather....

Had a lime gose by Bad Seed on Saturday. Followed by their 'Wild Seed' hopfenweisse. Both completely, totally and definitely better than a cold lager for a hot sunny afternoon.

Just a pity it wasn't one really...

I finally managed to visit the other week. I really like the place and shall return. Nice beers, good design and a general comfortable feel to the place. No steps anywhere so it's very accessible to all.

They also had a nice big screen for the Euros. Should do well with football fans come August too.

http://www.sentinelbrewing.co/

Ah so they have Sky and BT Sport do they? Mmm. I wonder.

Ah so they have Sky and BT Sport do they? Mmm. I wonder.

Not sure, this was just a Euro match which was on BBC or ITV.

Cheers Dave. I am fuzzy on that area of Sheffield but am sure I will find it!

True what you say about beer served from conditioning tanks. Tapped in Leeds is supposed to do it (but I think it's more show than actually happening) and there is a place in London that does it, but I can't think of anywhere else.

Strange than because I've just come back from Barcelona and been to more than half a dozen brewpubs there. One of which - NaparBCN - is exceptional, and has 3 beers served directly from tanks.

The rest are served from submarines and VTOL aircraft perhaps?

---------- Post added 27-07-2016 at 00:20 ----------

If it's simply 'top end local ale' then £6 a pint isn't going to win any friends! Especially in Sheffield. Can get a pint of Abbeydale Black Mass (6.66%) for £2 less than that in the Cat. You would almost manage a 7.2% Cloudwater IPA for that too - and that is significantly better than 'top end local ale'. But like you say it's early days, so will reserve judgement until I have been and tried.

It's not £6 a pint. It's £5 a pint for the dearest one, but with their discount card it's £4.50. Still dear though I agree with you.

---------- Post added 27-07-2016 at 00:26 ----------

For a local cask ale , it`s very much `top end`. I found it the most drinkable of their range.... early days though and always like to be positive with reviews.

Well, unlike Jemson, I don't always like to be positive with reviews. I tell it how I see it (unless I'm having a joke of course). And my view on this Sentinel Brewhouse is that it's the best addition to the micro brew pub scene in Sheffield for decades.

Let's talk about the beer first. Unlike MOST if not all other pubs in Sheffield, they have realised that we don't all want to drink middle of the road beers at 4% ABV or similar. They've realised that some of us want light stuff and some of us want strong stuff. They've realised some want dark and some want pale. Some want bitter and some want sweet. And not everyone in Sheffield has a first reaction of "Eh? Arr Much?" Because some folks do appreciate quality here, albeit the vast minority.

The range and types of beers here is great and so is the quality of them. The food is also very good too.

They've made the most of the space available and it's "different" to most other pubs.

The only criticism I would make is that

1 It's shut on Mondays

and

2 They don't cater too well for their most obvious and immediate clientele, the students.

It's smack bang in the middle of loads of student accom, but at £5 a pint before discount that's not going to win them many friends.

I've observed it being like a ghost town early in the week. Hopefully they'll become more aware of their "resident" trade before long and start to cater for it? They could afford to brew a lighter strength beer (something like the Magic Rock Brewery's "Simpleton" - a very tasty beer yet only 3% ABV - so great session ale too) and charge £3 or less for it and maybe offer a 10% student discount on it too - and that would have the place bulging with students.

Come to think of it...no...leave it as it is or I may turn into Paul Calf!

Edited by DerbyTup

I really like this place now. Food great , nice inside, good service and the beers are good. There are guest options and bottles now too. Nothing is cheap but it is a great addition imho.

I'd like to think I was at least partially responsible for the downfall of Wentworth after having quite the worst pint of 'Blonde' ever and stating so quite vehemently to my many beer friends on social media. A month later they announced they were folding. I'd like to think that was service to the community. Preventing people spending their hard-earned cash on something literally quite revolting.

I once inadvertently blurted out to the brewers at Wentworth that their Oyster Stout was the worst I'd ever tasted without realizing who they were! They were surprisingly calm about my faux pas.

---------- Post added 02-09-2016 at 11:27 ----------

True what you say about beer served from conditioning tanks. Tapped in Leeds is supposed to do it (but I think it's more show than actually happening) and there is a place in London that does it, but I can't think of anywhere else.

The place in London is Howling Hops. There's a really good article about the place in the all new Dronfield CAMRA mag "Peel Ale"! https://issuu.com/dronfieldcamra/docs/2016-02_summer/1

---------- Post added 02-09-2016 at 11:28 ----------

Well, unlike Jemson, I don't always like to be positive with reviews. I tell it how I see it (unless I'm having a joke of course). And my view on this Sentinel Brewhouse is that it's the best addition to the micro brew pub scene in Sheffield for decades.

Let's talk about the beer first. Unlike MOST if not all other pubs in Sheffield, they have realised that we don't all want to drink middle of the road beers at 4% ABV or similar. They've realised that some of us want light stuff and some of us want strong stuff. They've realised some want dark and some want pale. Some want bitter and some want sweet. And not everyone in Sheffield has a first reaction of "Eh? Arr Much?" Because some folks do appreciate quality here, albeit the vast minority.

The range and types of beers here is great and so is the quality of them. The food is also very good too.

They've made the most of the space available and it's "different" to most other pubs.

The only criticism I would make is that

1 It's shut on Mondays

and

2 They don't cater too well for their most obvious and immediate clientele, the students.

It's smack bang in the middle of loads of student accom, but at £5 a pint before discount that's not going to win them many friends.

I've observed it being like a ghost town early in the week. Hopefully they'll become more aware of their "resident" trade before long and start to cater for it? They could afford to brew a lighter strength beer (something like the Magic Rock Brewery's "Simpleton" - a very tasty beer yet only 3% ABV - so great session ale too) and charge £3 or less for it and maybe offer a 10% student discount on it too - and that would have the place bulging with students.

Come to think of it...no...leave it as it is or I may turn into Paul Calf!

I've been in a couple of times. it's pretty good if a tad pricey. Would like to eat in Sentinel at some point as well.

I once inadvertently blurted out to the brewers at Wentworth that their Oyster Stout was the worst I'd ever tasted without realizing who they were! They were surprisingly calm about my faux pas.

Why was it a faux pas? Would you have told them it was reet gud if you had known who they were?

Why was it a faux pas? Would you have told them it was reet gud if you had known who they were?

Might have kept my gob shut. Fortunately for me they were fine about it.

Turned out that they brought oysters from a stall on Barnsley market that I consider a bit on the smelly side.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

Want to try this place is it necessary to (or can you at all) book?

Want to try this place is it necessary to (or can you at all) book?

You don't need to book but can do - website: http://www.sentinelbrewing.co/

---------- Post added 02-09-2016 at 20:34 ----------

Incidentally for those interested they do film showings on a Tuesday evening, this week it is a Gene Wilder triple bill.