Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

21 hours ago, DnAuK said:

Is it bad that I base a lot of my holidays around the beer choices available these days? Barcelona is surprisigly good if you're wanting a beach holiday combined with good beer. If you're like me and love to do some sightseeing I would recommed Rome too. And Copenhagen of course, as well as Stockholm, Tallinn, Helsinki... I have been told Budapest is pretty decent too, tho never been. I'm heading to Paris next month. I understand that their beer culture has taken off a bit in the last few years. Depends what you're looking for really.

I was looking for a mountain with snow on it. :D

14 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I was looking for a mountain with snow on it. :D

Just make sure the apres-ski is up to snuff! ;)

On 17/01/2019 at 12:18, DnAuK said:

The only two beers that St Mars have at the moment are OK, rather than spectacular, but that was just bedding in the brew kit. The Impy Stout (Barbapapa) that is currently in the fermenter is apparently a direct port of the stuff they brewed in the US under Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project. Look it up - got really decent reviews. And the guy does seem to know what he's doing.

Glad they settled on Sheffield. Leeds seems to be where it's at right now, given SALT breweries opening of two bars in town, North Brewing Co opening a more central taproom and Vocation dropping a 50 tap bar into the Assembly Underground (a bit like the Cutlery Works) - all in the last 3 months.  However, anyone who is retailing beer there clearly knows it's probbly the best place outside London to get it and prices are reflecting that. Not  cheap day out. So can't really knock Will for moving there really. Same with Colin from Buxton. Tho the replacement brewer in Buxton has eventually found his feet and started brewing some decent stuff of his own recipe.

Is this time to say that the Buxton Tap is one of the best places to drink beer on the planet, BTW? If you like Buxton beers anyway. Which, let's face it, most people who know good beer do. Wish we had a place like that closer to home.

I like the Buxton Tap - although it seemed to be majoring on keg when I last visited about a year ago.  My favourite Buxton Beer was Axe Edge on cask - but I gather they only do that on keg now - I think that's a shame.  

I may have to check out the Beer Engine again to see if they have any strong brews, preferably IPA style.  It seemed to go through a phase a few weeks ago where they were noticeably absent for several weeks.  Hence I've been noticeably absent for several weeks too as I've sought to find it elsewhere.  

As for the Sentinel Brewhouse...I've just given up on that one altogether.  It was always the case that you never knew when it might be open.  When it reopened again as Trident, or whatever it's called now, I had high hopes that it may at least be open when they said it would be open.  They said it would be open Friday's and Saturday's I think.  I went down one Saturday night a few weeks ago and walked in just before 7pm.  There were 3 or 4 people in there.  I go up to the bar to order a pint and was told, "sorry, we're not open tonight because we've got a private do on".

Jayzus H Christ!  I'm pretty sure they could have sold me a pint and I'd have snook off into a dark corner and drank it quietly.  It's not as though the "private do" was in full swing!  But no.  They turned my business away for what was the very last time.  This was one of the reasons some of us stopped going there before - and they are still performing this silly trick and ******* off some, like me, who would be going in regularly if it was open!

Edited by DerbyTup

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 16:25, DerbyTup said:

I like the Buxton Tap - although it seemed to be majoring on keg when I last visited about a year ago.  My favourite Buxton Beer was Axe Edge on cask - but I gather they only do that on keg now - I think that's a shame.  

I may have to check out the Beer Engine again to see if they have any strong brews, preferably IPA style.  It seemed to go through a phase a few weeks ago where they were noticeably absent for several weeks.  Hence I've been noticeably absent for several weeks too as I've sought to find it elsewhere.  

As for the Sentinel Brewhouse...I've just given up on that one altogether.  It was always the case that you never knew when it might be open.  When it reopened again as Trident, or whatever it's called now, I had high hopes that it may at least be open when they said it would be open.  They said it would be open Friday's and Saturday's I think.  I went down one Saturday night a few weeks ago and walked in just before 7pm.  There were 3 or 4 people in there.  I go up to the bar to order a pint and was told, "sorry, we're not open tonight because we've got a private do on".

Jayzus H Christ!  I'm pretty sure they could have sold me a pint and I'd have snook off into a dark corner and drank it quietly.  It's not as though the "private do" was in full swing!  But no.  They turned my business away for what was the very last time.  This was one of the reasons some of us stopped going there before - and they are still performing this silly trick and ******* off some, like me, who would be going in regularly if it was open!

I know what you mean about the opening times. It always seems odd to me that somewhere would reserve their entire venue for a party without the ability to make sure the fact this was published far and wide beforehand. And no, I don't know how they would achieve this. But I still hold grudges against WEST in Glasgow for the time this happend to a group of us who had just been dropped off in a minibus in the depth of winter and we had to trudge back into town through the snow and past some very dodgy looking pubs...

That said, Triple Point (I think was the name you were looking for) have improved on Sentinel in other ways by uprating the internal and external areas and, instead of brewing average beer at extortionate prices, now charge pretty much what they are worth. TBHI will probbly now use the Industry Tap as the regular stop-off between Beer Engine and Rutland instead. Unless i don't fancy walking too far that day in which case I could use both and not start up Dev Green.

19 hours ago, DnAuK said:

I know what you mean about the opening times. It always seems odd to me that somewhere would reserve their entire venue for a party without the ability to make sure the fact this was published far and wide beforehand. And no, I don't know how they would achieve this. But I still hold grudges against WEST in Glasgow for the time this happend to a group of us who had just been dropped off in a minibus in the depth of winter and we had to trudge back into town through the snow and past some very dodgy looking pubs...

That said, Triple Point (I think was the name you were looking for) have improved on Sentinel in other ways by uprating the internal and external areas and, instead of brewing average beer at extortionate prices, now charge pretty much what they are worth. TBHI will probbly now use the Industry Tap as the regular stop-off between Beer Engine and Rutland instead. Unless i don't fancy walking too far that day in which case I could use both and not start up Dev Green.

I'm grateful to you for mentioning this "Industry Tap" place.  I've never heard of it.  I just looked it up and see that it's on Sydney Street.  I'd never heard of Sydney Street either.  So your intervention has been educational in more ways than one.  Right!  I shall definitely be seeking out the Sydney Street experience.  I hope, beyond hope, that they have a strong pale ale on cask - just one!  That's all I ask for.  Something around 6%.  I cannot believe how difficult it can be to find that in most pubs.  I tried 3 different pubs last night before I found it.  I can usually rely on the Sheaf View to have something strong and pale on cask - but nope...not last night - and not the previous time I went in last week.    I noticed the "Triple Point" was open last night.  Well,  I saw the fairy-lights on in the yard and there were people sitting there drinking.  I didn't bother going in though because it looked like a private party and I really wouldn't want to gatecrash them again.

I tell myself that if I am ever to be a publican (not much chance of that really) I'll have a very simple plan for my customers.  I'll always have a range of beer that varies in strength from 2% to 6% or more, on cask.  They won't all be around 4% like in most pubs.  And they will be a mix of amber, pale and dark brews.  Something for everyone.  I will take care not to have more than one of the same type on the bar at the same time.  For example, the Beer Engine had not one, but 3 coffee stouts on cask at the same time a few weeks ago.  I think  that is rather poor bar management myself.  If you're not keen on coffee-flavoured beer that's 3 pumps unavailable to you for a start.  I mean, is it really that difficult to order a variety, check what's in the cellar, and rotate the beers so that there is always a varied selection of styles and strengths available?

I should probably patent this idea as clearly most pubs have never thought of it!

7 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I hope, beyond hope, that they have a strong pale ale on cask - just one!  That's all I ask for.  Something around 6%.  I cannot believe how difficult it can be to find that in most pubs. 

You won't find it in the industry tap. No problem with an ipa at 6% plus, but no cask, just 21 kegs and a well stocked fridge