Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

If they just repeat the same pattern then he'll either end up being fired, or the place will close down again.
People aren't willing to pay through the nose for a beer that whilst well made, is still just a fairly regular at the end of the day.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

If they just repeat the same pattern then he'll either end up being fired, or the place will close down again.
People aren't willing to pay through the nose for a beer that whilst well made, is still just a fairly regular at the end of the day.

If it's been phoenixed, as suspected, then they won't be firing him. He had a couple of lads working for him before who had some really good ideas, but he wouldnt let them do anything with them, as he thought his way was the only way. I'd put money on it going the same way this time. 

He makes things he likes to drink, and thinks are amazing and he always think he is right because he's a beer somilier or whatever.

He needs to understand you need to make something people want to buy at a price they will pay for it. Before they were making a pretty standard beer and charging a lot for it.

3 hours ago, slh73 said:

If it's been phoenixed, as suspected, then they won't be firing him. He had a couple of lads working for him before who had some really good ideas, but he wouldnt let them do anything with them, as he thought his way was the only way. I'd put money on it going the same way this time. 

I'm not sure it has been phoenixed. Companies House shows the new company director as having no previous links to the various Sentinel entities so on the face of it it looks like an entirely new venture.

Of course the new Director could just be a patsy.

23 minutes ago, taxman said:

I'm not sure it has been phoenixed. Companies House shows the new company director as having no previous links to the various Sentinel entities so on the face of it it looks like an entirely new venture.

Of course the new Director could just be a patsy.

The fact they've kept the guy who ran it into the ground twice before makes me suspicious. There's no shortage of brewers in Sheffield, I'm sure they could have cut ties with him and started over properly. As it is, I'd put money on it going the same way again. I've no problem paying what some may see as over the odds for good beer. Sentinels wasn't worth the asking price. 

I`ve not been for a good while. I`m reluctant and suspicious at the moment. We`ll see

On 1/7/2019 at 1:15 PM, jemson said:

I`ve not been for a good while. I`m reluctant and suspicious at the moment. We`ll see

Nothing bad will happen to you Jemson - it's o.k. really!  

I popped in the other week and paid £3 for a pint of EU IPA on cask.  I quite enjoyed that tbh.  I noticed it had a few settees around the place now and was less like a busman's cafe inside.  Good progress.  But they are obviously only opening at limited times now and the plan seems to be to sell off the existing beers cheaply so they can have a clean launch of something new.

The lad behind the bar asked me if I was a Blades fans - to which I said yes.  He then waxed lyrical about the new "Kop Lager" that they are brewing - telling me it's 10 times better than the previous version.  Well, he may as well as offered me a season ticket to watch Sheffield Wednesday - I have no interest in drinking lager whatsoever.   But it told me a lot about how they are thinking the business might need to go.  At least they are thinking about their local clientele - something that seemed to have escaped them previously.  (I'm referring to the large student population in particular).

Edited by DerbyTup

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Nothing bad will happen to you Jemson - it's o.k. really!  

I popped in the other week and paid £3 for a pint of EU IPA on cask.  I quite enjoyed that tbh.  I noticed it had a few settees around the place now and was less like a busman's cafe inside.  Good progress.  But they are obviously only opening at limited times now and the plan seems to be to sell off the existing beers cheaply so they can have a clean launch of something new.

The lad behind the bar asked me if I was a Blades fans - to which I said yes.  He then waxed lyrical about the new "Kop Lager" that they are brewing - telling me it's 10 times better than the previous version.  Well, he may as well as offered me a season ticket to watch Sheffield Wednesday - I have no interest in drinking lager whatsoever.   But it told me a lot about how they are thinking the business might need to go.  At least they are thinking about their local clientele - something that seemed to have escaped them previously.  (I'm referring to the large student population in particular).

TBH Derby, it's always a risk going anywhere they sell Kop Lager. At least the Blue side of the city is served by a proper brewer with some talent and pedigree, even if the team itself may not live up to that right now! ;)

Joking aside, though, I am not the kind of beer snob that automaticallyrefuses to try lager. In fact I have had some rather excellent IPL's recently - a style that has come on leaps and bounds of late. But I have to confess that I have never tried Kop Lager. Though I thought Sentinel's Kolsch was a pretty fine example of it's type (and yes I DO know that kolsch is techncally an ale, although the layman would struggle to see the difference between it and lager). So maybe I have been missing out on it? But I'm afraid I have kind of 'parked the bus' on that one!

2 hours ago, DnAuK said:

TBH Derby, it's always a risk going anywhere they sell Kop Lager. At least the Blue side of the city is served by a proper brewer with some talent and pedigree, even if the team itself may not live up to that right now! ;)

Joking aside, though, I am not the kind of beer snob that automaticallyrefuses to try lager. In fact I have had some rather excellent IPL's recently - a style that has come on leaps and bounds of late. But I have to confess that I have never tried Kop Lager. Though I thought Sentinel's Kolsch was a pretty fine example of it's type (and yes I DO know that kolsch is techncally an ale, although the layman would struggle to see the difference between it and lager). So maybe I have been missing out on it? But I'm afraid I have kind of 'parked the bus' on that one!

Good response DnAuk!  I enjoyed reading that and know exactly where you're coming from.   If I said I don't drink lager, that wouldn't be exactly true!  I wouldn't touch the Carling Black Label, Carlsberg, Heineken, Amstel, Stella,that sort of mass produced stuff.  I just think it's tasteless. But I have been known to sink a pint of lager, usually when abroad and it's hot!  

I cycled through the Czech Republic some years ago and my word they've got some lovely crisp lager type beers there.  Not just the obvious ones which we know, like Pilsener Urquell (I quite like that one actually) and Staropramen - but brews like "Regent" - which I've never seen in this country.  Very nice.  Crisp and cold.  Just the thing for slaking a thirst in summer.  

Similarly in Poland it's mainly lager type beer I've had there.  Zwyviec (maybe I spelled that wrong?) and in Romania I used to drink "Ursus" - again it's a lager type beer.  

I'd prefer ale though to lager, just about everytime.    Brewery of the moment is possibly the Five Towns Brewery from Wakefield who make some incredibly unusual strong beers.  Really different flavours - passion fruit IPA and the like.  Really like those.  

Two I've had from here...

"What in the world"  

and

"Car crashes in same place everytime"

or summat like that!  Amazing beers!  

Link below...

http://www.fivetownsbrewery.com/

Edited by DerbyTup

1 minute ago, DerbyTup said:

Good response DnAuk!  I enjoyed reading that and know exactly where you're coming from.   If I said I don't drink lager, that wouldn't be exactly true!  I wouldn't touch the Carling Black Label, Carlsberg, Heineken, Amstel, Stella,that sort of mass produced stuff.  I just think it's tasteless. But I have been known to sink a pint of lager, usually when abroad and it's hot!  

I cycled through the Czech Republic some years ago and my word they've got some lovely crisp lager type beers there.  Not just the obvious ones which we know, like Pilsener Urquell (I quite like that one actually) and Staropramen - but brews like "Regent" - which I've never seen in this country.  Very nice.  Crisp and cold.  Just the thing for slaking a thirst in summer.  

Similarly in Poland it's mainly lager type beer I've had there.  Zwyviec (maybe I spelled that wrong?) and in Romania I used to drink "Ursus" - again it's a lager type beer.  

I'd prefer ale though to lager, just about everytime.    Brewery of the moment is possibly the Five Towns Brewery from Wakefield who make some incredibly unusual strong beers.  Really different flavours - passion fruit IPA and the like.  Really like those.

Haha. Glad you didn;t take offence. I sometimes have a tendency to illicit that in people where none was meant!

I used to like Pilsner Urquell back in the day, and can still sink a pint of Staropramen when there is nothing else avaialble. Haven't had the Polish stuff since my dad had a place at the coast and they had Zwyviec (I'm goin with your spelling as it looks right) and another one - Okochim or something. But these days I tend to go down the craft cask and keg route. Five Towns have brewed some decent stuff - especially when they were naming everything after Bowie songs. I'd also keep a look out for Kirkstall now the old Little Critters brewer has had time to settle in. I had a cracker of theirs the other day .  Alacrity - a proper big US IPA, a bit like Founders Centennial.

Sadly, other than Abbeydale, and possibly Neepsend, I don't think Sheffield has a really classy mainstream brewer. I like most of Dave's stuff at Steel City, and Jimmy at Lost Industry has made a niche for himself with the sours. But one maybe to look out for is the Brewery of St Mars in the Desert that has just got going down Attercliffe. I have some friends in Chicago that used to really like them when they brewed in the US and were sad to see them pack up and head for the UK. I have sampled a couple of their beers and they have both been decent, tho my friends  particualrly raved about their Impy Stout, which I understand they have started brewing this week. Might give their brewery a call in this weekend. The one problem is that I'd have to get the 52 bus back from pretty much outside the Boiler Room, and absolutely everyone on that bus is going to think I have been up to things other than visiting a brewery! Why can't they have been the ones that took over Sentinel?

<See what I did to try and drag this back on topic there...?>

6 hours ago, DnAuK said:

Haha. Glad you didn;t take offence. I sometimes have a tendency to illicit that in people where none was meant!

I used to like Pilsner Urquell back in the day, and can still sink a pint of Staropramen when there is nothing else avaialble. Haven't had the Polish stuff since my dad had a place at the coast and they had Zwyviec (I'm goin with your spelling as it looks right) and another one - Okochim or something. But these days I tend to go down the craft cask and keg route. Five Towns have brewed some decent stuff - especially when they were naming everything after Bowie songs. I'd also keep a look out for Kirkstall now the old Little Critters brewer has had time to settle in. I had a cracker of theirs the other day .  Alacrity - a proper big US IPA, a bit like Founders Centennial.

Sadly, other than Abbeydale, and possibly Neepsend, I don't think Sheffield has a really classy mainstream brewer. I like most of Dave's stuff at Steel City, and Jimmy at Lost Industry has made a niche for himself with the sours. But one maybe to look out for is the Brewery of St Mars in the Desert that has just got going down Attercliffe. I have some friends in Chicago that used to really like them when they brewed in the US and were sad to see them pack up and head for the UK. I have sampled a couple of their beers and they have both been decent, tho my friends  particualrly raved about their Impy Stout, which I understand they have started brewing this week. Might give their brewery a call in this weekend. The one problem is that I'd have to get the 52 bus back from pretty much outside the Boiler Room, and absolutely everyone on that bus is going to think I have been up to things other than visiting a brewery! Why can't they have been the ones that took over Sentinel?

<See what I did to try and drag this back on topic there...?>

Ha! Brilliant.

Well you've educated me there!  

I had some Kirkstall stuff at the Beer Engine recently and very good it was too.  I'd no idea it had something to do with Little Critters.  But I recall having that "C Monster" Little Critters brew at the Rising Sun in Fulwood and it was superb!

I understand Little Critters was a regular feature at the Fox and Duck in Broomhill.  I missed my opportunity there I think.  I went in last night for a beer whilst waiting for Proove to cook me an excellent pizza.   Someone on here told me Broomhill was where it was at for beer, but I was a bit disappointed tbh.  Thornbridge Hirundo (4.5%) and Jaipur (5.6%) on draught, then two other non-descript ones.  Didn't do it for me.  

I'm in two minds about Abbeydale tbh.  I do go in the Rising Sun occasionally.  You can always depend on a pint of Absolution if you want a strongish pale ale - but it's only 5.3% and it's rather sweet.  Pleasant though.  The Voyager ale is a bit stronger but it's not a great taste imo.  Occasionally they have some good guest beers.  I like the Revolutions brewery and have had some good ones of those - but quite often I find the only thing stronger than 5% there tends to be a dark beer.  They have Acorn brewery beers quite often and I think they are really poor.

Neepsend turn out some nice stuff.  I can usually find something at the Sheaf View from that stable.  I went in the Sheaf View tonight but the strongest pale thing they had on was something called "Sundown" from Horbury brewery, at 5.2%.  I had a half, then made my excuses and left!

This St Mars in the desert thing sounds intriguing.  I can understand your concerns about queuing for a bus outside "The Boiler Room" though!  :gag:  Each to their own I suppose but that sounds like a den of debauchery to me.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:00, DerbyTup said:

Ha! Brilliant.

Well you've educated me there!  

I had some Kirkstall stuff at the Beer Engine recently and very good it was too.  I'd no idea it had something to do with Little Critters.  But I recall having that "C Monster" Little Critters brew at the Rising Sun in Fulwood and it was superb!

I understand Little Critters was a regular feature at the Fox and Duck in Broomhill.  I missed my opportunity there I think.  I went in last night for a beer whilst waiting for Proove to cook me an excellent pizza.   Someone on here told me Broomhill was where it was at for beer, but I was a bit disappointed tbh.  Thornbridge Hirundo (4.5%) and Jaipur (5.6%) on draught, then two other non-descript ones.  Didn't do it for me.  

I'm in two minds about Abbeydale tbh.  I do go in the Rising Sun occasionally.  You can always depend on a pint of Absolution if you want a strongish pale ale - but it's only 5.3% and it's rather sweet.  Pleasant though.  The Voyager ale is a bit stronger but it's not a great taste imo.  Occasionally they have some good guest beers.  I like the Revolutions brewery and have had some good ones of those - but quite often I find the only thing stronger than 5% there tends to be a dark beer.  They have Acorn brewery beers quite often and I think they are really poor.

Neepsend turn out some nice stuff.  I can usually find something at the Sheaf View from that stable.  I went in the Sheaf View tonight but the strongest pale thing they had on was something called "Sundown" from Horbury brewery, at 5.2%.  I had a half, then made my excuses and left!

This St Mars in the desert thing sounds intriguing.  I can understand your concerns about queuing for a bus outside "The Boiler Room" though!  :gag:  Each to their own I suppose but that sounds like a den of debauchery to me.

Yeah Little Critters sadly went downhill a bit when the brewer left and was replaced by 'Wentworth Richard'. He is capable of following a recipe, but not really inventing anything good. I think Abbeydale have become complacent with their core range, as Thornbridge seem to have done also. I think jaipur is nowghere near as good as it was. By contrast I had a pint of Ilkley Lotus the other day which used to be about on par but now well outshines it. Dark Star Revelation is another example of a ~6% IPA that has still maintained it's quality over the years, so it is possible. Maybe it's all to do with volume of brews as Abbeydale Brewers Emporium beers can be quite good.

Went to the St Mars place and was pleasantly surprised. Despite being more difficult to find than I hoped, given my lack of geographical knowledge of the area. I had to actually get off at the Boiler Room - proclaiming loudly that 'the Brewery must be this way!' but being believed by none. It looks like a shed on the outside, but inside it's quite nice. They have only brewed two beers so far, both probably on a par with Sentinel IPA, but at £4 and £4.50/pt on keg which is muh more realisic.

The brewer gave us a tour of the brewery, which is a custom 10HL plant with some interesting features. They even have their own bottling line. The Imperial Stout is currently in the fermenter and they are planning to do some spontaneous fermentation beers later in the year (think Cantillion which, despite what they would have you believe, is very much in the Attercliffe of Brussells, so maybe not such a bad idea!).

Can't help thinking that if Sentinel had started this way they might still be going now...