Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

On 12/28/2018 at 9:17 AM, Cyclone said:

Seems like I'm starting tonight from the Treehouse Cafe, so it's even more convenient to go past it on the way to the Rutland Arms, so I may well have a look.

Makapaka will be disappointed to learn though, that if I don't like the beer on offer, I'll leave!  So, stout or porter it is, or nothing!

Went in Boxing Day. Beer was bl**dy awful. No way I'd leave the Rutland for the Sentinel. Avoid.

Having slagged the beer off the place is ok, if a bit weird

Agreed, I won't be rushing back to Sentinel, it's not worth the walk over to it, and there's nothing else really in that direction, it just leaves a longer walk back towards the town centre.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, Cyclone said:

Agreed, I won't be rushing back to Sentinel, it's not worth the walk over to it, and there's nothing else really in that direction, it just leaves a longer walk back towards the town centre.

Slightly disagree. It used to make the walk from the Rutland to Beer Engine (or vice-versa) slightly more interesting. But the beer was never outstanding - especially the 'stout'. 

I too went out on Friday and seemed to catch a wave of people doing a similar bar crawl as everywhere I went in was busy on arrival, but then moved on. And I had showered, I promise! But I haven't made it back to Sentinel yet.

I like the beer engine, but my problem there is that it's even further from the centre and leaves a long walk back to Devonshire Green.

Just checking now to see if that's really true, or if it's just further in my head.

Rutland Arms - Beer Engine (google maps walking speeds) 12 mins.

Rutland Arms - Brewdog 11 mins

Beer Engine - Brewdog 12 mins

Not actually a lot in it, except that if you go straight to brewdog there are multiple other pubs then close by.

I'll suggest we include the beer engine next time I go out though, which will probably be the end of Jan now.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, Cyclone said:

I like the beer engine, but my problem there is that it's even further from the centre and leaves a long walk back to Devonshire Green.

Just checking now to see if that's really true, or if it's just further in my head.

Rutland Arms - Beer Engine (google maps walking speeds) 12 mins.

Rutland Arms - Brewdog 11 mins

Beer Engine - Brewdog 12 mins

Not actually a lot in it, except that if you go straight to brewdog there are multiple other pubs then close by.

I'll suggest we include the beer engine next time I go out though, which will probably be the end of Jan now.

I agree, it always feels a long way from Beer Engone to anywhere else - hence splitting the journey with Sentinel, but you're right - it's not. That said I only usually go there when coming back from Eccy Rd, or heading up that way.

Ah, I tend to avoid Eccy Rd, and go from the Tap up to Brewdog and back.

Options feel like they're getting a bit limited these days, the micro pub next to the corner house for example has been closed since the redevelopment started, and the Devonshire Cat isn't really a beer pub anymore despite what they claim.  There were 2 bars at West One worth visiting for a while, but Anchorage closed and the other one converted to Ohm and it's now hit and miss on the beer and always very noisy.

On the other hand the options in Neepsend are expanding IMO.

Interesting, in what way is the Dev Cat 'not really a beer pub'? I realise they do many other things, but they still have one of the best beer ranges in the city and probably the best in the centre

Well, perhaps I've got the wrong impression, but I've been in twice since the refurb and it appears to be a trendy cocktail bar that happens to have a decent range of beer.

The downside of that is that getting served can take 10 to 20 minutes as the bar staff all dance and flip cocktail mixers around.

If I remember correctly, they also couldn't hear me because it was very noisy and when I did manage to get across a question about beer they didn't seem to know anything.

17 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Ah, I tend to avoid Eccy Rd, and go from the Tap up to Brewdog and back.

Options feel like they're getting a bit limited these days, the micro pub next to the corner house for example has been closed since the redevelopment started, and the Devonshire Cat isn't really a beer pub anymore despite what they claim.  There were 2 bars at West One worth visiting for a while, but Anchorage closed and the other one converted to Ohm and it's now hit and miss on the beer and always very noisy.

On the other hand the options in Neepsend are expanding IMO.

Eccy Rd can be OK. Start at the mictopub at the top and work your way back via Lescar and possibly Porter Brook - you won't find an astonishing range of beer but what you do find is generally pretty well kept. The Ale Club is definitely worth a visit and then just keep walking down to the Beer Engine via Graze / Cowshed or simply hop on a bus back there before trundling back into town.  It's something I tend to do when the centre gets mental just before Christmas especially.

I have made the argument about the decline of Sheffield Centre good beer bars in the past. The old crawl from Bath to Old Dev Cat, Brewdog, Old House, Henry's Brewhouse and on to DaDa etc. will, I fear, never be repeated. But things seem to go in cycles and the redevelopment of the centre could throw up some new places. Like the one on Pinstone Street. If it appears...

14 hours ago, SteelCityAle said:

Interesting, in what way is the Dev Cat 'not really a beer pub'? I realise they do many other things, but they still have one of the best beer ranges in the city and probably the best in the centre

I kinda agree with both viewpoints here, though I would dispute the Dev Cat having the best beer selection in the centre. Surely that is ther Rutland. The problem with the Dev Cat is it now attracts the cocktail crowd and at busy times you are queuing for beer for ages whilst they whip up something fancy and expensive for some giggling girls who, of course, all have to order seperately because they don't understand the concept of 'rounds'.

In fact I once went in and had the bartender so preoccupied by doing this tht he obviously thought us ordering pints of real ale was an intrusion. He put a glass under each pump and pumped both at the same time with both hands at full force which meant my beer came out looking like diswahing water and killed it stone dead. Naturally I complined which he was not too chuffed about as he gpot a reprimand and I got an apology with a £10 food voucher as well.

Now I only go in when it's quiet and they have picked up their game. But, for a brewery tap, I think it's fair to say they don't focus so much on beer anymore. The Devonshire went the same way when it changed from the Old House and endced up like Betty's Tea Room, but fortunately they took the criticism and have reverted it back somewhat.  But this is going way off-topic!

Edited by DnAuK

I never really think of the Rutland as centre, I guess it sort of is, but it's out on a limb a bit - wherever they are, they do have the best beer range in Sheffield!

I get the cocktail comments re Dev, I tend not to have a problem, the issue I have is people seem to congregate around the guest keg taps, coupled with the low light levels it becomes impossible to work out what's on (I find tap badges more helpful than a blackboard).

Back on topic, I'm interested to see what Sentinel do. They've kept Alex on as head brewer, but I'm guessing they won't do exactly the same as before, for that is the very definition of madness...

33 minutes ago, SteelCityAle said:

I never really think of the Rutland as centre, I guess it sort of is, but it's out on a limb a bit - wherever they are, they do have the best beer range in Sheffield!

I get the cocktail comments re Dev, I tend not to have a problem, the issue I have is people seem to congregate around the guest keg taps, coupled with the low light levels it becomes impossible to work out what's on (I find tap badges more helpful than a blackboard).

Back on topic, I'm interested to see what Sentinel do. They've kept Alex on as head brewer, but I'm guessing they won't do exactly the same as before, for that is the very definition of madness...

Yes - It's normally you, Mr Keiran and Mr Miller congregating around the guest taps... ;)

Alex is a very competent brewer. The problem he had was thinking that brewing  traditional style beers as well as he possibly could warranted charging craft beer proces. It didn't. As has been said before it left him in no mans land between those wanting traditional stuff but refusing to pay that price, and those expecting rather more from a 6% IPA and £6/pt. Hopefully whioever owns the new place will steer his hand one way or another.

21 hours ago, DnAuK said:

Yes - It's normally you, Mr Keiran and Mr Miller congregating around the guest taps... ;)

Alex is a very competent brewer. The problem he had was thinking that brewing  traditional style beers as well as he possibly could warranted charging craft beer proces. It didn't. As has been said before it left him in no mans land between those wanting traditional stuff but refusing to pay that price, and those expecting rather more from a 6% IPA and £6/pt. Hopefully whioever owns the new place will steer his hand one way or another.

I doubt it somehow.  He's a very personable chap but I think he's pretty set in his ways.  I've had many a conversation with him, but he just doesn't listen, I don't just mean about beers either, it's like he's in his own little world and only wants to talk about what he is interested in.  Really odd tbh.